Results are only viewable after voting.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
So is it sth like Electron?
Very similar, yes. But Snaps are less resource hungry than electron app's. Snaps and Flatpak just solve a problem of people either having outdated software on LTS Ubuntu versions for example and solve having to have add some PPA's. But, they're not for everyone and there are still things to iron out.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Very similar, yes. But Snaps are less resource hungry than electron app's. Snaps and Flatpak just solve a problem of people either having outdated software on LTS Ubuntu versions for example and solve having to have add some PPA's. But, they're not for everyone and there are still things to iron out.
In my case, I try to avoid installed snapped apps as they take much more time to launch, so I try to download the apps from other sources.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
In my case, I try to avoid installed snapped apps as they take much more time to launch, so I try to download the apps from other sources.
I still prefer PPA's on Ubuntu etc and the AUR on Arch based systems. It's great that you're exploring all these distros and install methods for software though.

Last edited:

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
One of the things I like about Elementary OS is that when you install a programme and it creates a startup entry such as Koofr and XDM, the startup entry is disabled by Elementary OS and needs to be manually enabled.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Unlike Ubuntu and Linux Mint, Elementary OS does not handle .deb packages by default. Instead, you need to install a small tool called Eddy from the AppCentre. This tool will let you run .deb packages just like Ubuntu and Linux Mint.
EOS is nice but it does have a few oddities, some people like them others don't. It's a nice little distro but personally I prefer others. EOS is good for people new to GNU/Linux because as you found out you can't just install .Deb packages and you can't just randomly add PPA's either.

Manjaro have a Pantheon DE spin too but it also gives the user the power of the AUR.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
EOS is nice but it does have a few oddities, some people like them others don't. It's a nice little distro but personally I prefer others. EOS is good for people new to GNU/Linux because as you found out you can't just install .Deb packages and you can't just randomly add PPA's either.

Manjaro have a Pantheon DE spin too but it also gives the user the power of the AUR.

What I can see, even if I have been using EOS only for some hours, is EOS is trying to keep user experience as simple as possible. As I have read it is meant for those who come from Windows and Mac looking for a similar experience with a little or no knowledge of how Linux works. I am enjoying ESOS. It is fast (the fastest of the three distros I tried) but I feel limited in the way I can control the system. I am not sure if I can live with that. Anyway, I am keeping it on my system till mid April when Ubuntu 20 is released.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
but I feel limited in the way I can control the system.
That became a pain for me years ago, But my friends wife loves EOS. I prefer the Cinnamon and Gnome DE. Although Manjaro KDE is very nice too. I'm running Ubuntu 20.04 daily ISO and it is indeed very, very nice and much more responsive than previous versions especially with the Gnome DE update. Enjoy your GNU/Linux journey.

I don't know if you've already seen this channel on YouTube, but if not it does sound perfect. I like his videos too but he started out a couple of years ago trying various distros and EOS remains his favourite. Great guy and great content.

The Linux Experiment

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
If you get used to Linux, it is difficult to do without it, also Linux takes away the mental stress that Windows produces, (at least to me) I am more in Debian or MX Linux than in Windows.
Yes, I do not need to worry about updates bricking my Windows and makes me restore a backup. Moreover, no security products and no more paranoia (I am not saying Linux is more secure). Luckily I have not had any issue using Linux on my laptop, so hope things stay that way.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
What I can see, even if I have been using EOS only for some hours, is EOS is trying to keep user experience as simple as possible. As I have read it is meant for those who come from Windows and Mac looking for a similar experience with a little or no knowledge of how Linux works. I am enjoying ESOS. It is fast (the fastest of the three distros I tried) but I feel limited in the way I can control the system. I am not sure if I can live with that. Anyway, I am keeping it on my system till mid April when Ubuntu 20 is released.
If you want fast and configurable, then try Xfce desktop. It is both. But it is not quite as pretty as the competition. You sacrifice aesthetics for functionality.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
You are obviously new in linux world :D
Well, some distros are more stable than others... Ubuntu and Mint are known to be pretty stable. They don't brick people's computers.
Running Windows in a virtual machine prevents a lot of update issues. Most of the problems are related to hardware, and in a VM, that's usually not an issue.

Fuzzy_Bunny

Level 4
Sep 19, 2019
I've been using/testing linux distros since 90s and the only distro that didn't brick my system is manjaro. Sometimes you don't even need to update system to brick it. How many times i turned off my PC and turned it on again next day and system was F up. This is main reason i use Windows on desktop PC, because i don't trust Linux anymore.
People can badmouth Windows but this is best and most stable OS on market and this is why most people come back to it.

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
I hate Ubuntu. But not because of itself. OS is actually really good and one of most widely used distros which helps support, but the Gnome interface they are using is so horrible to use and wastes so much screen estate I puke in my mouth every time I see or use it.

Good alternative is Linux Mint with its Cinnamon desktop which is very minimalistic and usable. But I prefer Kubuntu even more. Kubuntu uses same core as Ubuntu, but has KDE desktop on top. Some don't like it, but it feels more familiar and just more smart by design than weird, clumsy and wasteful Gnome with its moronic empty statusbar on top and big app launcher bar on side (or wherever you put it).

So, Kubuntu has all the perks of Ubuntu, but with better desktop interface. Give Kubuntu a try and you'll see how much better it is.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I've been using/testing linux distros since 90s and the only distro that didn't brick my system is manjaro. Sometimes you don't even need to update system to brick it. How many times i turned off my PC and turned it on again next day and system was F up. This is main reason i use Windows on desktop PC, because i don't trust Linux anymore.
People can badmouth Windows but this is best and most stable OS on market and this is why most people come back to it.
I can't argue with your personal experience. But I can say that the major distros are a lot more stable than they were 10 or 20 years ago.
I hate Ubuntu. But not because of itself. OS is actually really good and one of most widely used distros which helps support, but the Gnome interface they are using is so horrible to use and wastes so much screen estate I puke in my mouth every time I see or use it.

Good alternative is Linux Mint with its Cinnamon desktop which is very minimalistic and usable. But I prefer Kubuntu even more. Kubuntu uses same core as Ubuntu, but has KDE desktop on top. Some don't like it, but it feels more familiar and just more smart by design than weird, clumsy and wasteful Gnome with its moronic empty statusbar on top and big app launcher bar on side (or wherever you put it).

So, Kubuntu has all the perks of Ubuntu, but with better desktop interface. Give Kubuntu a try and you'll see how much better it is.
On Gnome, just install the "Dash to Panel" extension and you solved the glaring problems.

Freki123

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
From memory since it was longer ago (Not sure if Linux Mint or Ubunto):
When I used it on a laptop connected to a tv via hdmi it often forgot that the sound should go to the tv or the mouse sensitivity was waaaayy off. I had to search forums to change a ini or whatever. I changed the audio output and after 3 reboots it kept resetting and so on. And dont get me started when I switched keyboardlayout after install and using diskencryption. It was like installing with us keyboard settings giving a password and after changing to other keyboard setting I couldn't log on. When I see the chosen password while installing und its like "GJ%/(69" I would expect I should be able to retype it with any other standard layout without problems.
Tldr: If used on a normal pc it is good but atleast I found a few ways to realy hate it as a novice linux user and had to search the internet for what went wrong....

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Linux cannot compete with Windows in ease of use, there are things that are difficult in Linux, so I do not recommend abandoning Win and using only Linux, unless you are a Linux expert.
But there are also cases in which users who by simple mistake abandon Linux.
They can compete with them. It's just people are used to the Windows way and everyone forces you to use Windows anyway.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.