Advice Request My Short Take on MS Edge

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
With reference to comparison between Brave and Ungoogled Chromium (Eloston) from below

PROS

• When WDAG is enabled one can run MS Edge in a protected, isolated container without an extension. WDAG extension needed in other browsers and opens in MS Edge
  • MS Edge (like Brave) runs faster than UG
  • Like Brave it has built-in protections against trackers
  • It has built-in MS Defender SmartScreen and can block PUAs which Brave lacks
  • It allows the addition of extensions from other stores eg. Chrome Web Store
  • Like Brave it updates faster than UG
  • You can prevent MS Edge calling back home by modifying the hosts file, but some MS app/Edge-related features may not work properly unless exclusions are properly done in the hosts file. You can also prevent auto update of MS Edge using manual update by modifying the hosts file mentioned and manually install extensions with crx file thus giving better privacy.
  • Supports HTTPS mode
  • Adguard for desktop works with MS Edge
CONS
  • It has no built-in ads and fingerprint protections as compared to Brave
  • It does not support extension from store like github e.g. Translate Web Pages extension not supported

Last edited:

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
I use Edge & Brave - I like the built in ad-block on Brave, I don't really have a good reason to run them both but it was handy the other day when WU messed up Edge temporally - I prefer the GUI of Edge but both seem to give similar performance.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.