Nano Antivirus Free + CF/cs

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Just an Fyi to all you Malwaretippers looking for Free AVs.

Came across another AV that is free: NANO Antivirus Free - NANO Security Ltd.. Looks promising and recently received VB100 Award.

Also this review influenced me for a test run: NANO Antivirus Free 2019 Review - Full-Featured Protection for Windows 10. • The PC Insider. See screenshots.

Simple with not a lot of bells and whistles but the basics. There is a paid Pro version if you want more.

I am giving it a try in lieu of WD as I don't like wading through convoluted menus in the Security Center.

Yes, I know one really does not need anything else with CF/cs but I figured that it being a somewhat complicated program, if I should misconfigure a feature or become internet careless, and a malware file slips through, Nano might catch it before it is too late. Better safe than sorry!

One more thing. I am aware Nano is from a Russian company, and so is KAF from Kaspersky which is well known, and respected. If you do not want to use the program, I respect all opinions.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I dont know much about Nano Antivirus Free, maybe it is decent, but why bother with an unknown security vendor?

There are many solid free antivirus solutions available nowadays like Windows Defender, Kaspersky and Bitdefender; those products have many years of testing, research and they have trustable security companies behind them (Kaspersky has its share of controversy but it is great nonetheless).

Security solutions, especially antivirus, arent the kind of software that you should take risks while choosing it, there arent any available feature in Nano Antivirus that makes it tempting enough to ignore its lack of reputation and testing, so my recommendation for my fellow MT members is to simply ignore this product.

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017

It doesn't seem to have good results here,
and it's not light either, but it's an antivirus that is already old, but it doesn't take off.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017

It doesn't seem to have good results here,
and it's not light either, but it's an antivirus that is already old, but it doesn't take off.

I appreciate all the comments, and agree with all of you. Reputation is important but I realize now that in the quest for the best, one might be inclined to use a cannon when one really needs a good pistol. That said, many of these so called free or paid AVs are bloated to the extent of features that one may never need, or unless you turn them off, effect performance.

That said, imo one should think less is more. Being that CF/cs is already a bloated program albeit a good one with the occasional version hiccup, I think my answer is finding the smallest effective program that I feel would provide me with that additional comfort zone. Programs that come to mind, although not necessarily perfect or in order: VS, OSA, Webroot, ZAM, ZAL(although it sounds like it will be fading out soon), CAV which can be integrated into CF/cs(their website indicates they found a vulnerability and are working on a fix), MBAM, or something like System Hardener which is more passive.

Moreover, it sounds like the movement is more to signatureless based programs that monitor behavior, and make decisions via AI by connecting to databases over internet for immediate responses. Cylance was one, which I tried but it is known for false positives, and its GUI is somewhat narrow in configuration.

Well as I search, at least I make Backups, and have a good uninstaller that removes leftovers. Who knows, I might just come back to working with, and just familiarizing myself more with good 'ol CF/cs:).

pcalvert

Level 1
Nov 21, 2018
Have you considered FortiClient 6.0? It is reportedly a very light antivirus. Some people criticize it, saying that it provides poor protection against zero-day attacks due to the fact that the sandbox is nonfunctional in the free version. Although they are correct, does it really matter if you pair FortiClient 6.0 with CF/cs? No, I don't think so.

Here's a good discussion of FortiClient 6.0:

Phil

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.