Solved Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imran

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 27, 2012
My Videos stuck momentarily when the hard drive works (i.e the LED lights indicating you are reading / writing),
This problem is on every video player like VLC, WMP, KMPlayer, BSPlayer etc
This problem is even on Flash videos :(
I tried installing fresh Windows several times but it didn't solve my problem. I also tried changing my hard drive cables but it didn't work out and I also have new power and data cables on my system :(
Hard Disk Sentinel shows 100% health and more than 1000 days of lifetime.

Crystal Disk Mark score

Capture.png

Windows I've tried so far:
Windows 7 Ultimate 32/64bit, Windows 8 Pro 32/64bit, Windows 8.1 64bit

My computer specifications:
AMD Phenom 9600B Quad Core CPU
4GB DDR2 RAM
GeForce 9500GT
500GB Seagate HDD

I am so sick of this problem! :(

Currently I am running Windows 8 Pro 32bit :)

Edit: I have latest stable video drivers installed on my system.

Imran

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 27, 2012
RE: Need Help!

MalwareVirus said:
try Seatools too,as your HD is from Seagate.
There are two version 1.)Dos 2.)Window
Read their manual & choose what is better for you.I prefer Dos.
http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

I've run Fix-All Fast ad Short Generic test so far and hdd appears to be Pass on these tests :)

Sorry for my Bad English :D
Thanks for your help ;)

Upvote 0

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011

Buy more RAM.

For 2 GB RAM (one memory stick) I have paid 40 Euros, it's low price and can bring a lot .. so I changed my pagefile.sys weight to 100 MB (100 min. and 100 max). It's good for now, Windows remains calm.

Look if your pagefile.sys is fragmented, with Page Defrag of Sysinternals v2.32 .. if you have 1 fragments only, so you don't need to defragment ..

.. or disable your pagefile.sys (notch 'no paging file'): http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2005/10/running-xp-with-the-pagefile-disabled.html - it's not only for Windows XP, but too for recent Windows 7 and 8 ..

The Windows 7 Pagefile And Running Without One: on tweakhound.com : http://www.tweakhound.com/2011/10/10/the-windows-7-pagefile-and-running-without-one/

Upvote 0

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011

Stuck on "Attempting boot from USB"
My BIOS are up to date and i mostly install Linux based Operating Systems from USB on this PC

How much time did you give it before assuming it was stuck?
Try again and give it at least 15 minutes before aborting.

Sometimes when a system has bad RAM it will take awhile to start.
So keep trying several times to get it to complete, if it will not load then it is time to replace your RAM.

I don't believe your hard drive has any problems since it passed all of the tests.

Good luck. :D

Upvote 0

Imran

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 27, 2012

Littlebits said:
My BIOS are up to date and i mostly install Linux based Operating Systems from USB on this PC

So keep trying several times to get it to complete, if it will not load then it is time to replace your RAM.

I don't believe your hard drive has any problems since it passed all of the tests.

About half hour i think :-/
I don't know why it's not booting on my laptop either :(

Upvote 0

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011

What says CoreTemp : http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Maybe use too Mz CPU Accelerator : http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/CPU-Tweak/Mz-Cpu-Accelerator.shtml

Upvote 0

Imran

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 27, 2012

Prorootect said:
What says CoreTemp : http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Maybe use too Mz CPU Accelerator : http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/CPU-Tweak/Mz-Cpu-Accelerator.shtml

Core_Temp_Scr.png

I don't think i need Mz CPU Accelrator do i? :-/

Upvote 0

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011

Imran said:
Littlebits said:

About half hour i think :-/
I don't know why it's not booting on my laptop either :(

Do you have a UEFI enabled BIOS if so that can be the problem.

Read this- http://www.passmark.com/forum/showthread.php?4315-Memtest86-Version-5-Beta

Thanks. :D

Upvote 0

Imran

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 27, 2012

Littlebits said:
Faulty RAM can cause this problem if just one single sector is bad.

I recommend testing your RAM with Memtest86.

Make a bootable CD or DVD, set your BIOS to boot from CD drive and remove one RAM stick with your PC turned off only test one at a time. After you test one stick then turn off your PC remove the stick you tested and test the other stick. I bet at least one stick is bad.

Memtest86+ result
No errors :(

Screenshot

Upvote 0

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011

Ok so now you have confirmed that both your hard drive and RAM are good.
Your videos are still sticking? how about audio files do they stick as well?

The next thing you should do is try a different PCIe video card if you have one handy. I know you have already tried it with built-in video card and it didn't work.

If videos stick with a new video card then that indicates you probably have a processor related problem like over heating, faulty processor fan, faulty processor fan control chip or even a short circuit in your motherboard.

Check the temperature again with CoreTemp while playing a video at the same time and see what the max temp is. To determine if the processor is over heating.

Clean the heatsink and processor fan very well with can air to remove any particles, you might need to remove the fan from the heatsink and use a small brush like an old toothbrush to get it completely clean. Blow out all inside the case with the can air making sure to clean all air vents and fans. Also do a visual inspection, with the case open watch the fan as you start to play a video to see if it spins faster. The control chip should automatically spin the fan faster when loading graphics to prevent over heating. A cheap fix would be to replace the processor fan with a new one if you believe it is not working correctly. Might want to try that first before buying a new video card.

Enjoy!! :D

Upvote 0

Imran

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 27, 2012
Littlebits said:
So is your problem solved if so what did you do to solve it?

Thanks. :D

No i thought it was solved. I changed the cables and then played the video, one video went fine but when i played 2nd video same problem like before :(

I don't know what to do. Maybe i'll buy a new HDD after all :D

Upvote 0

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Check connecteurs .. also capacitors (whether it is some bulging of the top, cracking ..)

Repair it in the store, if you still have warranty ..

Upvote 0

Imran

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 27, 2012
Prorootect said:
Check connecteurs .. also capacitors (whether it is some bulging of the top, cracking ..)

Repair it in the store, if you still have warranty ..

Just checked my friend's hdd on my pc. His HDD was fine. No errors :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.