Advice Request Need new computer security suggestion

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

tlacenka

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Mar 22, 2014
Hello all,
need tips for new security solution in mine computer
All in the name of topic have tried and not good on this old mashine - resource hog, big ussage priority etc - programs not running flawlessly.
forgot on Zonealarm - resource eater too
ESET infected today our work - i know, there is problem with people..but..it was infected, so no trust actually.
Long long time ago i tryed norton - but actually they use crypto mining and i dont want to be part of this (same as avira as i understand - nothing against norton, its only fact i dont want to mine for somebody - even not for me)
NO Avg, NO Avast, - bad oldtimes experience.
i want (try) something whats really secure and not resource hungry. until now i used every year something new, but big resource eaters :(
So..what do you suggest for me ?
There is no problem to buy software, it doesnot have to be free.
And sorry for mine english - its not mine language.

the mashine: win 10 64 + 8gb ram +ssd
will have 1000MBit optical in 2-4months, so please no big slowdown :)

Thanks to all for no flame and suggestions :)

tlacenka

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Mar 22, 2014
Hello, thax - i dont need enterprise security..its for mine home computer :)
i dont have problem to use linux(prefer debian, but no problem with arch, redhat,suse, etc), or mac - actually want something secure.. but "most secure combo" as i wrote up - i have tried trial versions and it is resource hungry on mine computer...

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
In the last 2 years, I've used those setups:
A) Kaspersky Internet Security...tweaked
B) Microsoft Defender+ Configure Defender+Simple Windows Hardening
C) F-Secure Safe+ Simple Windows Hardening...current setup.

NextDNS and Ublock Origin or Adguard extension and Bitwarden are always included.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
My pc is also win10 / 8gb / ssd.
The cpu is a fairly old model of the i5 / 760, but it's F-Secure and doesn't feel slow.

Don't worry if you're not good at English! MT members have excellent language reading comprehension. surely:):coffee:

CyberDevil

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
I would suggest Symantec Endpoint Protection (unmanaged client). Here is a thread where you can read about it. This solution is conditionally free for home and is very light on the PC. To increase the anti-encryption protection, it is a good idea to install AppCheck on addition to it.

About F-Secure I am not sure how much memory it will consume on a weak computer, my consumption is quite high, but in general everyone writes about it that it is light, so maybe the antivirus adapts to the machine.

NextDNS in the browser and for example ControlD at system level is always a good addition to any security product as well!

BigWrench

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
4DCF00B1-DB20-420B-BD82-BAF2B8F3D046.jpeg
F-Secure ;)
You can try too Bitdefender

tlacenka

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Mar 22, 2014
sorry was at work, have some audit here ...
so..how it was infected is stupid human factor - somebody brings own usb drive with something... the eset makes test and wrote "its bad"... the operator disabled the eset temporary because "i want to show it to my colegue.. and run it... and because of runnig special software for control, the user need to use admin rights..thats all...and you know how it is with neeew games ...so no problem with eset in combination with normal thinking user... but for me... thats the reason i want to use something with comodo autosandboxing firewall...
@Moonhorse - you use this combo with wisevector ?

Reactions: Venustus

superleeds27

Level 6
Verified
Apr 5, 2017
so..how it was infected is stupid human factor - somebody brings own usb drive with something... the eset makes test and wrote "its bad"... the operator disabled the eset temporary because "i want to show it to my colegue.. and run it... and because of runnig special software for control, the user need to use admin rights..thats all...and you know how it is with neeew games ...so no problem with eset in combination with normal thinking user... but for me... thats the reason i want to use something with comodo autosandboxing firewall...
Ah. So user error. Rather than fault of Eset!

tlacenka

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Mar 22, 2014
yes... but if you disable protection with kaspersky (no shutdown just disable) it wont still let you run the infected file...eset did (i understand why) - but.. is this behavior normal ? dunno... and i dont want to test it on mine computer...

Reactions: show-Zi

superleeds27

Level 6
Verified
Apr 5, 2017
yes... but if you disable protection with kaspersky (no shutdown just disable) it wont still let you run the infected file...eset did (i understand why) - but.. is this behavior normal ? dunno... and i dont want to test it on mine computer...
I'm sure someone here will be able to explain why!

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Be careful with FS. The intrinsic ransomware protection leaves a bit to be desired from time to time, even though files encrypted were within protected folders (eg Pony). Better to use it with CF- at least here the encrypted files will only be within containment.

Hello Cruelsister :D
Have you been able to test it? I don't have a Pony dropper to test :/

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Currently im trying comodof firewall + wisevector + MD disabled with optimizer. But i would use comodo internet security just with default settings, its light, you have container + it registers on security center

Afaik cs is using cf + md + wisevector

tlacenka

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Mar 22, 2014
How about protecting ESET with a password so the user won't be able to disable the AV?
ofc thats the right solution...but.. i am not in IT admin position here, so its not mine problem, and as i was said, its not mine bussiness.. so i stay away and sit on mine hands and dont say any word to it...just doing mine work here, which is thousand miles away from IT position...(that doesnot mean i dont understand things...)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.