Advice Request NeuShield Data Sentinel: It looks good but will it combine well with KSC Free?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Morro

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
Although I will keep using Veracrypt to protect other data, it is a bit overkill to protect my Document files that I use on a daily basis. ( or close to it. ) Now a short while ago I saw NeuShield Data Sentinel mentioned on a forum, ( Could have been here on MalwareTips. ) so I looked at their website ...

Scroll down to see a comparison between the different versions.

Does any one have experience with this program, is it any good and more importantly does any one know if it works well together with Kaspersky Security Cloud Free? It looks interesting to use, but I still would like to ask for peoples opinions on it.

Last edited:

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
The combination Kaspersky Cloud Free and Neushield Data Sentinel Free works well together. They both got a thumbs up from Cruelsister (Kaspersky's system watcher and Neushield Data Sentinel) and work so differently that any incompatibility is very unlikely. Impact of Neushield on system performance is not noticeable.

I use SyncBack Free for ad hoc backups of my Documents and Mail (documents, mail and media files are backed up to offline USB disk periodically). Neushield only protects my quick backup drive (and old spare harddisk). Neushield's mirror shielding works well with file-change based backups like Syncback, but not with incremental backups (like windows data backup).

Morro

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
The combination Kaspersky Cloud Free and Neushield Data Sentinel Free works well together. They both got a thumbs up from Cruelsister (Kaspersky's system watcher and Neushield Data Sentinel) and work so differently that any incompatibility is very unlikely. Impact of Neushield on system performance is not noticeable.

I use SyncBack Free for ad hoc backups of my Documents and Mail (documents, mail and media files are backed up to offline USB disk periodically). Neushield only protects my quick backup drive (and old spare harddisk). Neushield's mirror shielding works well with file-change based backups like Syncback, but not with incremental backups (like windows data backup).

Thank you Lenny_Fox, I will be installing Neushield Data Sentinel then today. I will also checkout SyncBack Free, to see what it can do for me. :)

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
I've been using Neushield Data Sentinel Free for about 2 months, I too saw it recommended by Cruel Sister elsewhere. I believe it to be worth using, as far as i know my data is still secure, unless you know otherwise!

Edit - I use F-Secure so I can't respond to the Kaspersky question.

Morro

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
Well so far I have not noticed any problem between Neushield and KSC Free, so like Lenny_Fox already mentioned ... "any incompatibility is very unlikely."

There is one more thing I like to ask about Neushield. It makes a restore point that can not be removed. Now I understand the fact that it can not be removed ... the program is meant to protect your PC, so of course it protects itself as well. But I think I saw that the restore point became bigger since yesterday?

( Or am I some how imagining this? )

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Well so far I have not noticed any problem between Neushield and KSC Free, so like Lenny_Fox already mentioned ... "any incompatibility is very unlikely."

There is one more thing I like to ask about Neushield. It makes a restore point that can not be removed. Now I understand the fact that it can not be removed ... the program is meant to protect your PC, so of course it protects itself as well. But I think I saw that the restore point became bigger since yesterday?

( Or am I some how imagining this? )
Yes, the program does make a series of restore points that can take up a good amount of space on your drive. I use Free PC cleaner & Privacy tool to clean my drives and it allows you to remove restore points. Open Privazer, on the main window click on 'Restore + Repair', click on 'System ( ©Windows)', this lists the restore points, highlight any that you wish to remove, it is a quick and simple way to reduce the amount of storage that the software takes up with its backup recovery points.

Morro

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
Yes, the program does make a series of restore points that can take up a good amount of space on your drive. I use Free PC cleaner & Privacy tool to clean my drives and it allows you to remove restore points. Open Privazer, on the main window click on 'Restore + Repair', click on 'System ( ©Windows)', this lists the restore points, highlight any that you wish to remove, it is a quick and simple way to reduce the amount of storage that the software takes up with its backup recovery points.

Darn, I have been using PrivaZer for a very long time already, and until now I never noticed the "Restore + Repair" option? I assume it will only allow to remove older rerstore points, because the one that I see at the moment gets restored right away when I remove it.

EDIT: Hmm I can not even remove a restore point that was just made by Wise Disk Cleaner. Their was a small Windows 10 update and I used WDC to remove the installation files afterwards. The amount that restore points can occupy on my PC is only 10 GB, and as mentioned I understand that Neushield protects its own restore point, but not being able to remove any restore point at all is not something I like. ( No matter which way I use. Not through Windows and not through Privazer. )

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
From the mails I received when Iwas in discussion with Elisha form NeuShield support:
You can't delete old restore points anymore.
We protect the restore points as we use them for our One-Click Restore feature. You don't need to worry about deleting them as they will age out once they reach the 10GB limit.
From my own testing, but never confirmed or resolved after sending many mails en logsto support, NeuShield is not compatible with windows file history.
The backup size grows and grows till it doesn't fit on my backup drive anymore.

Last edited:

Morro

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
From the mails I received when Iwas in discussion with Elisha form NeuShield support:
You can't delete old restore points anymore.

From my own testing, but never confirmed or resolved after sending many mails en logsto support, NeuShield is not compatible with windows file history.

Thanks Gandalf_The_Grey, guess I will keep an eye on the restore points for a week or so, and if they do age out for me then I will keep using Neushield. But if they do not age out then I will remove Neushield. ( No matter the fact of how good it is. )

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Darn, I have been using PrivaZer for a very long time already, and until now I never noticed the "Restore + Repair" option? I assume it will only allow to remove older rerstore points, because the one that I see at the moment gets restored right away when I remove it.
I updated Privazer over this last weekend and I find that I can't delete either Restore points or Neushield Data Engram points now. So I apologise for getting your hopes up that this would work.
I started using Privazer to delete the Neustar restore points because my C:\ drive was getting fatter and fatter and Macrium Reflect was notifying me that there wasn't enough space left on the partition I'd set up for it on an external drive. With the bad news about being unable to delete the older Neustar points by using Privazer I might find that I'll have to stop using it.

Does anyone know if its possible to delete Neustar Data Engram restore points if you use the paid for version?

VecchioScarpone

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2017
Unable to completely remove NeuShield free. I did use Revo uninstaller but there are still a lot of Files/Folders left over. That I cannot unlock or delete with Lock Hunter.
I do not have an account therefore I cannot access NeuShield Portal to remove it from there.
Sent a support request but it was on the business webpage. Do not know if they will bother.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-04-07 172333.png
    Screenshot 2021-04-07 172333.png
    23 KB · Views: 206

VecchioScarpone

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2017
Follow up about uninstalling NeuShield.
I was please to receive a prompt reply from support. I followed the instructions (screenshot Attached) to the letter. Unfortunately their native uninstaller is shooting blank, it doesn't initialize even running it as administrator.
Reported back to Support.

Edit: BTW not sure yet if it is related but since I tried to uninstall NeuShield, System Restore is not working. I am unable to restore my system to pre NeuShield installation or from any restore points.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-04-08 055417.png
    Screenshot 2021-04-08 055417.png
    28.5 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:

VecchioScarpone

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2017
From NeuShield Support:
"The silent uninstall tool won't work without the correct parameters. That is used for businesses to remotely uninstall the client. You need to run the NeuShield uninstaller from the Windows Add/Remove Programs, just like you would with any other program"

I assumed I had to use The NeuShield uninstaller tool.

Still two folders left behind that I cannot trace nor delete. When Clicking on Everything open path, access is denied.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-04-09 070855.png
    Screenshot 2021-04-09 070855.png
    20.7 KB · Views: 214

Morro

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
Well I never used Revo so I do not know how good it is, and I have not uninstalled NeuShield so I would not know if I would have the same problem as you have now. But I do use HiBit Uninstaller ( It is Freeware. ) ...

You could try to install NeuShield Data Sentinel ( Right click the install file and use "Install with HiBit". ) with HiBit Uninstaller and then uninstall it again with HiBit. ( There is no guarantee of course, but you could try it if you want, or not. :) )

Reactions: Cortex

VecchioScarpone

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2017
@Morro, thanks.
The Support person sent me the information needed to remove those last two folders.

<Those two folders are protected by Windows. Once you reboot these folders should be empty. If you want to delete those you need to use a sysinternal tool to run a command prompt as a local system user and then delete the folder using "rmdir /s NeuShield"

These steps are not necessary, as these folders should be empty, but if you want to you can use these steps to remove those two folders.

Here are the steps:

1. Reboot. You must reboot first.
2. After reboot, download the PSexec tool from Windows Sysinternals and unzuip it.

3. Open an administrative command prompt and go to the location of the PSexec tool.
4. Run the following command to open up a command prompt with local system rights:

1. PSexec -s -i cmd.exe

5. Go to the “C:\System Volume Information\” folder. Note: this folder is hidden. You can see the folder by typing “dir /a”
6. Use ‘rmdir’ command to remove the NeuShield folder:

1. rmdir /s NeuShield

7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 for drive F:>

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.