Advice Request Never Download a Driver-Updating Utility; They’re Worse Than Useless

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
I agree mostly with every thing said here. The graphics driver is usually the only one you need to up date and it can be found on the manufactures web site. I however find that manufactures stop up dating drivers once the PC is a few years old.
Also I agree that you shouldn't up date drivers unless your having a problem.
I have used slim drivers with success. It makes a back up before installing a driver. You have to up date drivers one at a time, but I think that's a good thing. It's free. If you're having a problem, you can see if Slim drivers has a up dated driver for your problem and see if it is newer than your manufactures. Here's a video about slim drivers. I'm not saying you should up date every driver Slim Driver finds. Just use it as a starting or reference point! You should make you're own decision, and don't fix it if it ain't broke.;)

Tani

Level 9
Verified
Nov 25, 2014
I don't use such programs. Windows automatically installs most of the drivers while I don't like graphics drivers from my manufacturer so I don't updated it, I only have to install input & card reader drivers on my dell.

Reactions: Deleted member 2913

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Came to this post as I was about to ask for help on updating drivers, and if I should use one of the freebies (IObit/Slimware) glad I didn't risk it, because I didn't fully read the article... I figured this is a topic I can work from and ask for help.

Well this is a big help on upgrading a driver, which isn't even needed! :)

What I did after using the programs is, I print screen images of what each program had found and keep the images to have a reference to how legit the findings are, and like the original post, some dates seem suspiciously old, and the programs are almost bragging to the user by finding so many updates and slapping dates and suggestions on them :eek:

System Mechanic free found only 3 driver updates. Compared with 9 and 10... so I bet Mechanic would be more reliable of the programs but not free, and NOT recommended!

I will remove the driver update programs and will try out DUMo, as this program will make a driver update safer to aquire. :cool:

Last edited:

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! Drivers are one reason for BSOD. If you use a program like DUMo or Slim Drivers to check for missing or out dated drivers, it just might help you solve a BSOD or at least lead you in the right direction. There are many reasons for BSOD, so you need all the help you can get.;)
PS Times are changing and new programs are coming out every day. Just because there are some bad or misleading software, doesn't mean you shouldn't be open to give other programs a look and decide for your self if they are good for you.
The manufacture is always the best place to get up dated drivers, but they may not have them if your PC is a few years old!!
I agree with every thing said here. I'm just saying you might have to try other things. You should decide for yourself.
I have never heard of any thing bad about Slim Driver. I haven't tried DUMo but I'll give it a look!;)

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
Microsoft’s official position on the use of Registry Cleaners
  1. Microsoft does not support the use of registry cleaners
  2. Microsoft is not responsible for issues caused by using a registry cleaning utility.
  3. Microsoft cannot guarantee that problems resulting from the use of a registry cleaning utility can be solved
drivers should be downloaded from the manufacturer website or win update

Arakasi

Level 4
Verified
Jul 12, 2014
I support Slimdrivers

.....but only the free version. Stay away from the Full.
I have used it for years to obtain drivers after windows installs.

Keep in mind i follow the rule "dont use utilities for things you can do manually or on your own"
i make the one exception for this tool when looking for drivers for hardware that does not have a disc present or OEM driver disc for systems, and even then the driver is out of date.

* One exception is that Slimdrivers will occasionally pull an outdated driver from the pci database, and during installation it always tells you if you are running a newer version already and if you want to install or not option.

Also i have had several times where Slim could not find the driver, oh well on those occasions.

But if you download it from the right location, it is a clean utility and does no harm.

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi @Kyle_Katarn I have feedback. I just went to your site and just as @jackuars said "It's full of Adware".
You claim you can opt out and then explain how to uninstall the Adware if it is down loaded. If I can opt out, no need to have uninstall Adware. I won't be trying your program any time soon, even though I was interested for awhile.

Kyle_Katarn

From KC Softwares
Verified
Developer
Sep 28, 2013
Hi @Kyle_Katarn I have feedback. I just went to your site and just as @jackuars said "It's full of Adware".
You claim you can opt out and then explain how to uninstall the Adware if it is down loaded. If I can opt out, no need to have uninstall Adware. I won't be trying your program any time soon, even though I was interested for awhile.

Sponsors are optional and we also provide a "Lite" installer with NO sponsors at all.
All of this is clearly stated on the download page : http://www.kcsoftwares.com/?dumo

Any feedback on the product itself ?

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! I agree with @Arakasi . Slimdrivers is a great tool if you use it along with your brain. It will give you a starting place if your having a problem that might be related to a driver problem. If your not having a problem, then this advice always holds true "Don't fix it if it ain't broke" I like Slimdrivers because it always gives you a chance to create a restore point before installing the driver and it has a lot of other cool features. If you take time to watch the video I attached you will see the other cool features.
Don't bad Slimdrivers until you are sure it tanked your PC. Remember a lot of software is bad mouthed when it first hits the Web.
Microsoft has put out some patches that tanked PC's and most of us still trust them. If you think a driver might be the cause of a Blue Screen, then take a look at Smildrivers. I have heard all the horror stories about CCleaner registry cleaner. I have been using CCleaner registry cleaner for over 10 years. It has never caused me a problem. Do I approve of some of these snake oil registry cleaners like IObit. Not no, but Hell no.
SlimDrivers says I have one out dated audio driver. I'm not having a audio problem, so my brain says "Gary it ain't broke, don't fix it"
PS Slimdrivers has helped me fix at least two problems with seniors PC's here at Golden Oaks,so I'm a big fan.

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
Microsoft’s official position on the use of Registry Cleaners
  1. Microsoft does not support the use of registry cleaners
  2. Microsoft is not responsible for issues caused by using a registry cleaning utility.
  3. Microsoft cannot guarantee that problems resulting from the use of a registry cleaning utility can be solved
drivers should be downloaded from the manufacturer website or win update

I went to the drivers website on my desktop and they don't even have any drivers listed for my pc.

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Sponsors are optional and we also provide a "Lite" installer with NO sponsors at all.
All of this is clearly stated on the download page : http://www.kcsoftwares.com/?dumo

Any feedback on the product itself ?
Hi Kyle! I realize Sponsors are needed to support your software and I'll give you credit that all that is clearly stated on the down load page.
Even though I'm quite capable of uninstalling any crap ware that you could install on me; and have at least 10 back up images I could use to restore my PC like it was before using your software installed crap on me; I'm be passing at this time. So no I don't have any feedback on the product.
I do applaud you for your effort to produce a driver up date program. I would never be smart enough to develop a software program like that.
I'm give you a 10 on that. but will pass on testing your software at this time.;):rolleyes:
PS For all you members that think you might like to give Slimdrivers a look, here's a safe site with out those damn PUP's:mad:
Just down load the Slimdrivers fom Major Geeks and nothing else. It's getting harder every day to down load freeware and big $$ signs are getting to all the old trusted sites and that's really getting me angry. Always down load from the author when possible.:mad:;)
I'm almost afraid to recommend any freeware these days. Damn PUP's are every where.:(

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
I went to the drivers website on my desktop and they don't even have any drivers listed for my pc.
It is very possible if your PC is over 2 years old, your manufacture will not have any up dated drivers. I just want to say this again"Don't fix it if it ain't broke" If you think a driver could fix your issue, give Slimdrivers a look and see if they have a newer version of the driver you think is causing you a problem. It has been my experience that Slimdriver will tell you if your driver is already a newer version, but I can't guarantee that will happen every time. Slimdrivers will ask you if you want to create a restore point before installing the driver. Just say YES!
I receive no gratuities from Slimdrivers. I have had only good experiences and wanted to share this software with MT members.
I have recommended Slimdrivers on another forum and I'm no longer welcome there. Do you think I care NO
Use this software along with your brain and I think you will like it!;)

Kyle_Katarn

From KC Softwares
Verified
Developer
Sep 28, 2013
Hi Kyle! I realize Sponsors are needed to support your software and I'll give you credit that all that is clearly stated on the down load page.
Even though I'm quite capable of uninstalling any crap ware that you could install on me; and have at least 10 back up images I could use to restore my PC like it was before using your software installed crap on me; I'm be passing at this time. So no I don't have any feedback on the product.
I do applaud you for your effort to produce a driver up date program. I would never be smart enough to develop a software program like that.
I'm give you a 10 on that. but will pass on testing your software at this time.;):rolleyes:
PS For all you members that think you might like to give Slimdrivers a look, here's a safe site with out those damn PUP's:mad:
Just down load the Slimdrivers fom Major Geeks and nothing else. It's getting harder every day to down load freeware and big $$ signs are getting to all the old trusted sites and that's really getting me angry. Always down load from the author when possible.:mad:;)
I'm almost afraid to recommend any freeware these days. Damn PUP's are every where.:(

Thanks !
FYI, DUMo 2.5.1 released today : KC Softwares
If you find it worth giving it a try, please give me some feedback (here or PM)

Mineria

Level 3
Verified
Mar 19, 2016
Windows Update is probably the worst place to get driver updates from, first of all: they are often outdated so they don't contain important fixes, second of all: WU even manages to install the wrong drivers.
When Windows 10 hit RTM a lot of NVidia users had problems with WU updating an outdated driver that even managed to mess up, and I currently get a SoundBlaster Recon3D driver forced on my ZxR every time MS updates it.
For my sake they should either remove the driver search update feature completely.
Just that Microsoft's official ridiculous response to the issues is called "wushowhide.diagcab" tells a lot, doesn't it?

As for manually updating drivers, it requires some attention, as example one shouldn't use the newest driver for all Intel devices on a computer, some firmware got their own driver branch to stick too, and even then sometimes the firmware should be updated before using the according driver for it, besides that some of the software that is offered for hardware isn't even needed by the average end user, Intel RST and the full Management Engine package just to name some.

So I would never suggest anyone to use a system wide driver update utility since there are too many different factors to address from system to system, I doubt that a 3rth party developer is able to pay attention to all when even Microsoft can't after being in the business for so many years.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.