Never Download a Driver-Updating Utility; They’re Worse Than Useless

Discussion in 'System Utilities' started by Petrovic, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Abdullah Ramadhan

Dec 24, 2016
    South West, England

Yep, I just put all my important files onto a usb stick, and I am going to do a factory restore. I tried rollbacking my drivers, but it is still the same, and my sound is gone, and I tried downloading the sound driver, but still no fix :/

Wish me luck...

given, Yash Khan and carsten ibsen like this.
  2. Abdullah Ramadhan

Dec 24, 2016
    South West, England
    Yeah same :/
    You should do a system restore like me

given and carsten ibsen like this.
  3. DC47561

DC47561 Level 3

Feb 3, 2017
    IT Support
    Here
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
    I couldn't agree more. Even Microsoft update messes drivers up from time to time. My old laptop's sound card driver was one big one. I rolled it back to the previous version only to find that it had been automatically updated again.

4. carsten ibsen

carsten ibsen Level 20

Sep 18, 2016
    retired
    denmark
    Windows 10
    Microsoft
    Good Luck;)

given and Yash Khan like this.
  5. Paul123

Paul123 Level 4

Dec 9, 2016
    IT Web Developer
    London
    Windows 10
    Zemana
    #65 Paul123, Feb 7, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    Whilst a lot of people say 'download from the manufacturer's site' I'd say its not always obvious where these drivers are on many manufacturers sites, and novice users run the risk of also downloading from sites that pertain to have the drivers but are actually malware sites, or downloading the wrong driver.

Driver update tools (if they are good) ensure that you get the right driver and from the right source, something also novice users might not do. For example, Iobit's Driver Booster ensures only drivers that have passed Microsoft's WHQL tests are downloaded (something that if you download from say Intel's site might not be true as initially they do not), so reducing the chance of incompatibilities. I'd disagree therefore and say for novice user's they do have a use, for more experienced users, commenters are probably right - its better to get from source, but to say they have no value, is I think incorrect. Up-to-date drivers can make a difference, and in some cases fix security and performance issues, so are important, just like updating your windows O/S.

I use Iobit's Driver Booster and have never encountered issues of incompatibility. I use the tool mainly for convenience, it informs me when a newer driver comes out, and saves me having to play 'hunt the driver'. I could do it myself, but why bother when there is a tool to do it for me.

There are a lot of bad driver updates tools out there, as there are a lot of PC optimser tools too, but to say that they are all useless I think is a over generalisation

roger_m, rockstarrocks, given and 4 others like this.
  6. Yash Khan

Yash Khan Level 51

Oct 22, 2012
    I have DriverTalent.

Its helpful sometimes...most of the PC manufacturers website dont update drivers & sometimes not easy to find correct drivers on the manufacturers website.

Win 10 Updates are good & most or all drivers are available through Windows Updates.

DriverTalent shows "stable" & "latest" drivers for critical/important/required stuffs...Stable - Stable & Microsoft's WHQL, Latest - Latest & Microsoft's WHQL.

I tried DriverBooster, it shows many drivers & most no need to update. And compared to DriverTalent, it shows little old drivers for quite a few stuffs.

I only update drivers if & when need arises like any probs & only important stuffs like display, sound, etc

DriverTalent, I kinda use as a reference & try to find the drivers on PC manufacturers or manufacturers website, if I couldn't then may give a try to DriverTalent, yet no need came up.

rockstarrocks and given like this.
  7. Rodney74

Rodney74 Guest

I would agree with your assessment...Except for one utility. It's called "Driver Easy" and it is very nice.

I only use it to scan, and then update drivers that are 5-6 years old. I don't do any drivers that are 1 to 24 months.

Do this, with this utility, and I bet you will say with me "No problem".

given likes this.
  8. KGBagent47

KGBagent47 Guest

Too late.

I did it a couple of years ago it was complete trash.

given likes this.
  9. HarborFront

HarborFront Level 33
    Content Creator

Oct 9, 2016
    Far East
    I just installed Iobit Driver Booster v4.2 and it detected 13 outdated device drivers and also installed KC Softwares DUMo and it detected 21 outdated device drivers. So, the latter is better?

given likes this.
  10. tim one

tim one Level 18
    Trusted AV Tester

Jul 31, 2014
    Europe
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    Not necessarily so.
    Iobit Driver Booster search for tested WHQL drivers so you have a good reliability level.
    I use IDB for a long time and I haven't encountered any problem.

11. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Level 8
    Content Creator

May 13, 2017
    Postal Worker
    Slovakia
    Windows 10
    I have tested various driver updaters and I have stayed with Driver Easy. In the free version, you can actually download updates and it is able to find drivers, which are not on laptop's or manufacturer's webpage. It finds the most drivers (on an old laptop 9 vs 1 by iobit's), some other updaters desperately try the same, but they offer bad updates, just to offer something. I have ended up installing Realtek Audio on Creative, which obviously broke it.

given likes this.
  12. Malware Person

Malware Person Level 4

Jun 8, 2016
    United States
    Windows 10
    BitDefender
    it isn't nessecary to have your drivers updated all the time. if you are a gamer, you want to update your graphic drivers as soon as possible, but for others, there is no need to have the all updated

given likes this.
  13. karthic1998

karthic1998 Level 3

Jan 23, 2017
    india
    Can I use driver pack solution tell me anyone

given likes this.
  14. Trickster

Trickster Level 14

Jul 28, 2016
    Loving / caring Husband :)
    Europe
    Windows 10
    BullGuard
    iobit driver booster since day 1 it released , without having any problems! it is a staple in my commonly used softwares ;)

rockstarrocks, given and frogboy like this.
  15. jamescv7

jamescv7 Level 61
    Trusted

Mar 15, 2011
    Web and FileMaker Developer
    Philippines
    Windows 10
    Microsoft
    Posted by a member from Superuser .

given and tonibalas like this.
  16. frogboy

frogboy Level 61
    Trusted

Jun 9, 2013
    Heavy Duty Mechanic.
    Western Australia
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
  17. dJim

dJim Level 2

Mar 12, 2016
    españa
    Not really.. im using AMD graphic card.. and i dont update since long time bcs most updates give just some " perfomance" to some games to really usefull if u dont play those games.

given and Vasudev like this.
  18. rockstarrocks

rockstarrocks Level 14

Apr 16, 2017
    Civil Engineer
    Delhi>India>Asia>Earth>S.S.>Milky way>Our Universe
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    #78 rockstarrocks, Jun 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
    I have to agree, there is no need to install any driver updating utility on Win10. Most of the drivers are installed automatically by windows update, except the graphics one (for my lappy it usually installs an older version without any other software like radeon settings), which I always download from the OEM's website.
    In previous versions of windows xp, 7 & 8, I had to install other drivers as well like BT, Audio, and chipset. But situation nowadays is pretty good.
    That being said sometimes these utilities do help in finding an update for problematic drivers like Broadcom Wi-Fi in my case. My go to utilities are 3dchip & Iobit driver booster.

frogboy and given like this.
  19. S3cur1ty 3nthu5145t

May 22, 2017
    US
    One does not need one of these utilities for this. It is not difficult to open device manager, look at your current version, and check the manufacturer's website.

This is what I do, and when needed, I install manually not relying on any application.

Latest drivers are not always better, some will have bugs/issues while the current one you have will be stable and mature. It is a good practice to research comments on those in a rush to install them and finding those issues first hand, to avoid those type pit falls.

frogboy likes this.
  20. jackuars

jackuars Level 21

Jul 2, 2014
    This is time consuming and for doing this for every driver on your system, it isn't going to be an easy process. This is where driver updaters comes in handly especially for checking outdated drivers if not for updating the drivers itself (which is subjective).