Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
I bought a new wd laptop hd and the bios does not see it
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
I tried other hds
I was restarting a computer and when it booted up it said to put in a bootable disk. So I tried a 160 gig hd with xp on it and it found it.
But when I tried not 1 but 2 new 500 gig WD hd it does not see them in the bios.
This is a windows 7 home premium computer. I am not sure what to do to get the laptop to recognize the hds.

Also I put the 2 wd harddrive one at a time as a secondary hd in the desktop computer I had and it would not recognize them either

I am not sure how to fix this

Rozesky2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
These are sata drives? Sata is backward compatible only one generation. A new sata 3 drive will not play on a sata 1 setup.

Probably the first thing I would do is a BIOS update, which might solve that problem and others. BIOS updates always carry risk, however.

Edit: sorry, I didn't see this thread had multiple pages, and the solution had been found.
Paul...thank you for your help I always read everything and learn from it. You had a great answer to my question about sata drive because that was important for me to know too. Next time I will try a bios update also

thank you for taking the time to reply. :)

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.