Troubleshoot Newbie with a Problem

mitchum22

Thread author
Sep 23, 2022
Hello, all. Thank you very much for this fine forum.

My problem: about a week ago (before the W11 major update) my PC browsers all started to hang or even quit at certain sites, not at all at most others. (This began while I was DLing several heavy files.) The computer itself is as fast as ever, as are the DL speeds when received outside of a browser. Inside what will happen is a DL will start, then just quit. Or it will show no forward progress, but actually will have already completed.

The pages themselves, when problematic, will either not load, take a long time to load, or load incompletely. Refreshing the page sometimes works, sometimes not. Of course, this screams malware so I've run about half-a-dozen full scans using various scanners (MalwareBytes, AntiSpyware Scanner) with no infections being shown. However, Windows Defender does not complete in Full Mode, just sorta stops in the middle. And BitDefender -- after installing and running an initial check -- moves over to the "Create an Account" page -- which is blank, nothing but white space. Yet the BitDefender icon is now on the desktop -- yet I cannot open BitDefender.

????

I've had my current PC for about 16 months now with zero previous problems. Any help would be very appreciated.

Regards,
Mitch

F

ForgottenSeer 95367

The computer itself is as fast as ever, as are the DL speeds when received outside of a browser. Inside what will happen is a DL will start, then just quit. Or it will show no forward progress, but actually will have already completed.
This is a common symptom when downloading large files. Sometimes it is a router issue, other times it is a network issue. The problem can intermittently appear and then vanish.

That said, it is really difficult to figure out what exactly is the problem.

The pages themselves, when problematic, will either not load, take a long time to load, or load incompletely. Refreshing the page sometimes works, sometimes not.
This is a webpage issue. There could be an incompatible script running on the webpage.
Of course, this screams malware
Not really. What you are describing happens often without any malicious involvement.

so I've run about half-a-dozen full scans using various scanners (MalwareBytes, AntiSpyware Scanner) with no infections being shown.
System is probably clean, but you can open a Malware Removal request here at MT if you wish just to have seasoned set of eyes taking a look-see.

However, Windows Defender does not complete in Full Mode, just sorta stops in the middle.
This is not uncommon and is an unrelated issue.

And BitDefender -- after installing and running an initial check -- moves over to the "Create an Account" page -- which is blank, nothing but white space. Yet the BitDefender icon is now on the desktop -- yet I cannot open BitDefender.
A Bitdefender bug.

Just a caution, but installing multiple antivirus one-after-the-other in an attempt to find some infection will not be helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017

My problem: about a week ago (before the W11 major update) my PC browsers all started to hang or even quit at certain sites, not at all at most others. (This began while I was DLing several heavy files.) The computer itself is as fast as ever, as are the DL speeds when received outside of a browser. Inside what will happen is a DL will start, then just quit. Or it will show no forward progress, but actually will have already completed.

The pages themselves, when problematic, will either not load, take a long time to load, or load incompletely. Refreshing the page sometimes works, sometimes not. Of course, this screams malware so I've run about half-a-dozen full scans using various scanners (MalwareBytes, AntiSpyware Scanner) with no infections being shown. However, Windows Defender does not complete in Full Mode, just sorta stops in the middle. And BitDefender -- after installing and running an initial check -- moves over to the "Create an Account" page -- which is blank, nothing but white space. Yet the BitDefender icon is now on the desktop -- yet I cannot open BitDefender.

????

I've had my current PC for about 16 months now with zero previous problems. Any help would be very appreciated.

Regards,
Mitch
Malware or not, with so many issues I'd just do a clean install of Windows if I were you. More efficient than trying to clean your probably non-infected system with 100s of Anti-Malware scanners.

And as @Furyo said, removing an antivirus and installing another one on a regular basis can have a bad impact on system performance and stability. So yeah, a clean install is probably a good idea.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
F

ForgottenSeer 77194

????

Regards,
Mitch
The best way to solve your problems is to do clean install as @SecureKongo said

and do daily incremental system image backups on an external HardDisk.
In this way you can always restore your computer to a previous state.

Upvote 0

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
It looks like you were talking about the browser ok, this happens due to the updates. how many addons do you have? did you clean the browser as CCleaner or others? as clean temp & prefetch before restart the system.

Please put your PC/laptop specs here, also make a thread about the specs:

Upvote 0

mitchum22

Thread author
Sep 23, 2022
Wow! As Dean Martin used to say: "This must be the place. . ."

Amazing answers and deep appreciation. I went through each of the thoughtful suggestions one-by-one (Kapersky, NPE, etc) and what was revealed were mostly a few false positives from long-time software. I went ahead and quarantined them anyway -- no luck. Same symptoms.

However -- I thought I might just switch my PC off the Ethernet and onto WIFI. VOILA. Issued fixed!

WHY would this be the case??

Much thanks again!

Upvote 0
F

ForgottenSeer 77194

Wow! As Dean Martin used to say: "This must be the place. . ."

Amazing answers and deep appreciation. I went through each of the thoughtful suggestions one-by-one (Kapersky, NPE, etc) and what was revealed were mostly a few false positives from long-time software. I went ahead and quarantined them anyway -- no luck. Same symptoms.

However -- I thought I might just switch my PC off the Ethernet and onto WIFI. VOILA. Issued fixed!

WHY would this be the case??

Much thanks again!
I am not sure why.
A faulty port on router or the ethernet cable needs replaced. It could ethernet configuration settings.
What you can do now is:
1. Change the ethernet cable.
2. Plug the ethernet cable to another port.
3. or Reset network adapters in windows.

Reactions: Sorrento
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.