Question NextDns blocks

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

cartaphilus

Level 5
Thread author
Mar 17, 2023

Even when configured to max I find that NextDns blocks a fraction of web ads that a browser extension blocks. Is this normal or did I screw up something?

Last edited by a moderator:
F

ForgottenSeer 97327

Yes that is normal

Filtering at DNS level can only block stuff which you can also block with host files on your PC. Host file block rules contain only IP addresses or (parts of) URL's

Browser extensions can block host files plus ABP format block rules which can block and hide ads. The block part alone has a lot more granular options related to the content (say 10 times as powerful than host file block rules). On top of that some adblockers have very powerful advanced options to change nearly everything on a website (say 100 times more powerful than host block rules).

Most members use them in combination, where the DNS does the heavy lifting with lots of simple block rules (focused on malware and tracking protection), and use the browser extension for the smart advanced stuff (focused on blocking and hiding advertisements).

In the past I did some testing and on the websites I used for reference (15 news websites) enabling all filters in uBlockOrigin (A) was as efficient as enabling (B) all malware protection in NextDNS plus OISD.nl and Adguard DNS filter for tracking (privacy) protection in combination with uBO using only a few filters. In uBO I disabled all filters and enabled only AdGuard Ads and Annoyances for advertisements and AdGuard URL tracking protection and Kees1958 MV3 list for tracking protection and no uBO malware protection lists (because I used NextDNS for tracking and malware protection, I only needed the advanced URL parameter blocking filter and a small anti-tracking list of Kees1958). When you try this it is also advised to enable your country specific EasyList filter (in my case EZ Dutch).

Because the bulk of the rules are processed at the DNS servers and you use less rules in your extension, the browsing is a tiny bit faster (for me with a 10 year old CPU that mattered).

Last edited by a moderator:

cartaphilus

Level 5
Thread author
Mar 17, 2023
Yes that is normal

Filtering at DNS level can only block stuff which you can also block with host files on your PC. Host file block rules contain only IP addresses or (parts of) URL's

Browser extensions can block host files plus ABP format block rules which can block and hide ads. The block part alone has a lot more granular options related to the content (say 10 times as powerful than host file block rules). On top of that some adblockers have very powerful advanced options to change nearly everything on a website (say 100 times more powerful than host block rules).

Most members use them in combination, where the DNS does the heavy lifting with lots of simple block rules (focused on malware and tracking protection), and use the browser extension for the smart advanced stuff (focused on blocking and hiding advertisements).

In the past I did some testing and on the websites I used for reference (15 news websites) enabling all filters in uBlockOrigin (A) was as efficient as enabling (B) all malware protection in NextDNS plus OISD.nl and Adguard DNS filter for tracking (privacy) protection in combination with uBO using only a few filters. In uBO I disabled all filters and enabled only AdGuard Ads and Annoyances for advertisements and AdGuard URL tracking protection and Kees1958 MV3 list for tracking protection and no uBO malware protection lists (because I used NextDNS for tracking and malware protection, I only needed the advanced URL parameter blocking filter and a small anti-tracking list of Kees1958). When you try this it is also advised to enable your country specific EasyList filter (in my case EZ Dutch).

Because the bulk of the rules are processed at the DNS servers and you use less rules in your extension, the browsing is a tiny bit faster (for me with a 10 year old CPU that mattered).
Makes sense.

One thing I love about NextDns is the ability to block the stupid LG TV ads that come with the webos. There is no adblocker app for webos so the only thing to block the LG AI spying and random forced ads is via the NextDns redirect and it works wonders.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230803-095103.png
    Screenshot_20230803-095103.png
    286.2 KB · Views: 78

Morro

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
Eh it's not my resources. I didn't notice any slowdown. It's not like pihole or ublock.

I believe you, but you do not need all 3 lists. Pro++ has everything that Pro has plus more, and Ultimate has everything that Pro++ has... plus a truck load more than that. So you only need one of them, (At least that is my advice.) but it is up to you. I just wanted to let you know.:)

EDIT: Ninja'd by Kongo :D

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.