Advice Request NextDNS thoughts and experiences?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Templarware

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Mar 13, 2021
Not true. It's free by default.

Even if the service would be usable with payment only, that's none reason against it.
Are you just trying to mess with me?

Free: 300,000 queries/month

Who said it was a reason against it? Nothing against it. Imo it's just not worth paying for a DNS, just like it's not worth paying for AV or VPN.

Last edited:

Brahman

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
Who said it was a reason against it? Nothing against it. Imo it's just not worth paying for a DNS.
Its not just "dns" its much more than that.
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-2.jpg
Untitled-3.jpg
Untitled-4.jpg

Untitled-5.jpg

If you set it up properly in a router which supports Doh it can act as a firewall by blocking any alternate dns provider and your entire dns traffic will only go through Nextdns. See the setting for that.....
Untitled-6.jpg

now please don't say to me that this is just a "dns" service.

Templarware

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Mar 13, 2021
Most of that can be done with a free DNS and extensions. The rest you don't really need, unless you're a privacy paranoid freak.
The only services I pay are Netflix and Spotify. Because they are the only ones that I really need and are actually worth it. AVs, VPNs, DNS, software for this, software for that... no thanks. Pretty much anything has paid alternatives, and all of them can be justifiable if you look hard enough and don't use your head, you'll end up paying for dozens or stuff.

Last edited:

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
In my opinion, the appeal is that this DNS (SAAS) is customizable on many levels from the start without the need of browser tweaks, third-party extensions and programs or router-based firewall configuration aside from assigning the DNS address.

That being said, both sides are right to an extent regardless of opinion. One can always use extensions alongside free DNS services if they want to. The question asked should be more along the lines of "If I use NextDNS, do I have a need to?" regarding external extensions.

Brahman

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
Who asked you to pay for it...it's free till 3,00,000 queries per month, which is sufficient for normal use cases. They have a dns cache system so that repeated queries won't count in that monthly limit. If you don't want something and don't understand what it means to lot of other people, it's not a basis to arrive at a conclusion that it's not worth at all, if you don't want it, it's ok, nobody is forcing you. But your reasoning for that is wrong.

Templarware

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Mar 13, 2021
Who asked you to pay for it...it's free till 3,00,000 queries per month, which is sufficient for normal use cases. They have a dns cache system so that repeated queries won't count in that monthly limit. If you don't want something and don't understand what it means to lot of other people, it's not a basis to arrive at a conclusion that it's not worth at all, if you don't want it, it's ok, nobody is forcing you. But your reasoning for that is wrong.
Nobody asked me to pay, I just gave my opinion, isn't that what people do on forums? If you don't like it, deal with it.
Have you tried using it? 300 000 for people like us who browse a lot every day, in houses with families won't be enough. I've seen people posting that went out of queries after a few days/weeks.

Last edited:

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Nobody asked me to pay, I just gave my opinion, isn't that what people do on forums? If you don't like it, deal with it.
Have you tried using it? 300 000 for people like us who browse a lot every day, in houses with families won't be enough. I've seen people posting that went out of queries after a few days/weeks.
No offence, but sometimes keeping your opinion to yourself is the better way to go, at least when there is no added value for other users. If you don't like it, don't use it, or at least point out reasons why it's not worth it. (y)

Templarware

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Mar 13, 2021
No offence, but sometimes keeping your opinion to yourself is the better way to go, at least when there is no added value for other users. If you don't like it, don't use it, or at least point out reasons why it's not worth it. (y)
It can be of value for people who end up paying for many services which they don't really need. A wake-up call.
If you can use Next DNS for free without going beyond the limit, great. If you need to pay for it, not worth it considering the alternatives. It's a valid opinion.

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
It can be of value to those people who pay for many services which they really don't need. A wake-up call.
If you can use Next DNS for free without going beyond the limit, great. If you need to pay for it, not worth it considering the alternatives. It's a valid opinion.
Not the way you said it. Your replies that were following up should have been in your first statement, so that you can prove it with arguments. I agree that it's not needed for the wide mass, but people who like to experiment and try an "extensionless" approach, could benefit from using it.

Brahman

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
Well your opinion is baseless thats what I said, If you don't like it, deal with it.
Have you tried using it?
I am using it from its inception.
300 000 for people like us who browse a lot every day, in houses with families won't be enough. I've seen people posting that went out of queries after a few days/weeks.
There you fall down, One, there is something called "cache Boost" in its settings, use it to reduce your number of queries Two, there is no limit on number of accounts you can create, create as many accounts as you need and separate your devices, if you don't wish to pay. Three, use a decent router which can support doh or dot with dns cache which will speed up your browsing and also reduce the number of queries.

Templarware

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Mar 13, 2021
Well your opinion is baseless thats what I said, If you don't like it, deal with it.
It's based in the fact that you don't need to pay for DNS or other security services. Even if that's only a opinion, it's not baseless. If you don't agree, deal with it.

So, you have a similar argument to the the other one that says: Netflix is free, you just need to create a new account after each trial.

Templarware

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Mar 13, 2021
So, I've decided to give free NextDNS a try, to see how the queries limit will work for me. CloudFlare and NextDNS are the only ones that get decent benchmark results here.
I already have 4000 queries in just a few hours and It's IPv6 DNS address crashes Assassin's Creed Valhalla, messes with Ubisoft Connect. Great stuff (y)😃

Last edited:
Reactions: Nevi

Brahman

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
So, I've decided to give free NextDNS a try, to see how the queries limit will work for me. CloudFlare and NextDNS are the only ones that get decent benchmark results here.
I already have 4000 queries in just a few hours and It's IPv6 DNS address crashes Assassin's Creed Valhalla, messes with Ubisoft Connect. Great stuff (y)😃
Please don't use it, it's not for you. If you still want to use it, there is something called "logs" in your account, find it if you can, seek the "blocked list" add those blocked ones you need to " allow list".

Templarware

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Mar 13, 2021
Please don't use it, it's not for you. If you still want to use it, there is something called "logs" in your account, find it if you can, seek the "blocked list" add those blocked ones you need to " allow list".
Ow, It's not for me. Too bad :cry:
You really must like NextDNS considering how salty and fun you have been 😂

Last edited:
  • HaHa
Reactions: Kongo

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
This is getting childish... If you guys want to use it, use it. If some of you don't want to use it, don't use it. It's that simple... Nobody cares if 300.000 queries are not enough for you or if it causes problems for you @Templarware . As long as it's working for them, they can use it without you bashing on NextDNS for no reason... 😄

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.