Advice Request NextDNS thoughts and experiences?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
I installed NextDNS on my computer, but had issues with my VPN ( Windscribe Pro). I have now installed it on Chrome (90% of my browsing) for a week and so far no conflicts. Likewise, I have disabled R.O.B.E.R.T (DNS included in Windscribe Pro) I still use Ublock Origin and Microsoft Defender Browser Protection.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

If you have an existing DNS provider installed (eg Nextdns) and you then turn on Apple Private relay which service gets precedence for your Safari DNS queries?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTdhLgsBkj8&t=1731s

Reactions: Nevi

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
New AI-Driven Threat Detection popped up in my NextDNS dashboard:

Unbenannt.PNG

Morro

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
Well whenever I see the word "AI" then I become a bit sceptical. I start thinking " Is it really good... will it block things that it should not block? " But until I know a bit more about their AI Driven Threat Detection BETA, I am not going to activate it. Do not get me wrong, I trust NextDNS, but I will wait and see what is going to be said about it by other members here, before I activate it.

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Well whenever I see the word "AI" then I become a bit sceptical. I start thinking " Is it really good... will it block things that it should not block? " But until I know a bit more about their AI Driven Threat Detection BETA, I am not going to activate it. Do not get me wrong, I trust NextDNS, but I will wait and see what is going to be said about it by other members here, before I activate it.
Aight, I will test it for sure as I was waiting so long for something new in NextDNS. Will keep you updated. :)

F

ForgottenSeer 92963

New AI feature
I activated the new AI feature, because this is relative old technology. Always wondered why NextDNS was behind on this area. Glad to see they finally decided to use AI/ML. I don't mind that it is in BETA, Next DNS has so much traffic that the AI-engine is probably sufficiently trained for my average every day usage. Here is nice article explaining that OpenDNS/Cisco Umbrella started to experiment with AI in 2012 and decided to add it to their paid protection services in 2015:

- Umbrella CISCO article
- OPEN DNS (read page 6 and 7 of the pdf): [PDF] Automated Protection Against Advanced Attacks - Free Download PDF

Easy risk reduction
Another easy attack surface reduction tip (when your langauge uses latin characters) is to block all TLD's using non-latin characters. Near zero chance you will ever land on websites using a non-latin charset TLD ever by yourself. A risk reduction which should not impact usability (only increases security).

1632294183338.png

Morro

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
NextDNS went CPU crazy today while testing phishing links and I had to uninstall it. I don't know if the client got overloaded or what ... :unsure:

Went back to Quad9 since I prefer not to install a DNS client.
Well I noticed nothing weird with NextDNS today, but I have it set through YogaDNS not through NextDNS own software.

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
NextDNS is amazing. I pray they won't sell it to Cloudflare or whatever horrible company wants to capitalize on the data. It works well with Apple iCloud Private Relay. I'm not sure if the queries get sent separately or if they travel through Apple's VPN tunnel.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.