Serious Discussion NFC security: 10 security risks you need to know

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Most smartphones have near field communication (NFC) built into them, allowing for easy contactless payment processes. NFC systems can be exploited by hackers, however, so in this article we’ll cover the ten major NFC risks you should know about.
Read more: NFC Security: 10 security risks you Need to know

How to secure yourself from NFC risks
The first thing to remember about NFC tech and its attendant risks is that, for most people, the dangers are very minimal.

To maintain a high level of NFC security, the best thing you can do is keep your NFC-enabled devices close by and set up two-step verification for NFC keys and on credit and debit cards.

Overall, NFC is a safe and reliable payment method, provided you take a few simple precautions to secure your mobile wallets and NFC keys.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Apr 21, 2016
Absolutely agree with you. NFC technology indeed has its risks, but with proper precautions like keeping devices close, using two-step verification, and securing mobile wallets, it can be a safe and convenient payment method. Awareness and vigilance are key in ensuring NFC security.

TairikuOkami

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I prefer to pay with watch or a card in RFID shielded wallet, thus I rarely use NFC and even then I only enable it for the payment and then disable it ASAP.

Reactions: Dimitriss

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
As far as I know, you cannot completely disable NFC on iPhone devices, which can create problems such as QR-based tickets over any major security concerns.

On Android, Samsung Pay auto-enables NFC when you go to pay, then turns itself off.

You might be able to use Routines for Google Wallet.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.