Niente's security configuration

Niente

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jul 24, 2016
WAR is indeed good for ransomware based attacks then Avast Free in Hardening Mode (Aggressive) should give more solid protection.

Highly activate UAC for safe keeping purpose so that you are inform for any execution.

I appreciate your help. I'm going to activate. Avast Hardening Mode

And i'll do the same with Windows' UAC.

Thanks a lot!

Niente

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jul 24, 2016
Start by enabling UAC and Smartscreen. Adding an adblocker would be wise.

I had forgotten Smartscreen, thanks for your suggestion! :)

Why UAC disabled?

Please add some extensions, like HTTPS Everywhere, Disconnect, and uBlock Origin as adblocker. Then, please install SandBoxie Free and use it while browsing to have more protection.
And please add ZAM Free as a second on-demand scanner.

I'm going to bookmarking this post. ;)

I disabled UAC because i forgot to turn it on after my last disk format. xD

In fact, i usually use UAC but it's true i always keep on the lowest level. I hate when UAC ask me everything i do. I suppose i'm doing it wrong.

Thanks for your help!

Wow! Thanks for discovering me this! It's very interesting. ;)

Have a great day!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
What do you think about this?

https://www.privacyware.com/personal_firewall.html

Is this really better than Windows firewall or not? Is this a trusting tool or it's suspicious?

Thanks in advance!
Good software, but hasn't been updated in a while and can be closed from the system tray. Includes IDS for finer control.

Windows Firewall with the appropriate Network profile for Home, Work or Public is sufficient.

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I think adding more second opinion scanners would do more good, on top of malwarebytes you should also use Zemana Antimalware for scanning since that has a better detection rate than malwarebytes. Also ensuring that Avast is set up properly would be a huge part in protecting your computer, PUP detection ON, Cyber capture set to ON and block all suspicious files, if you want hardened mode can be turned on too but personally I leave it off because I find that it blocks a lot of the new updates that my software has just because I update my software as soon as an update comes out and usually Avast doesn't have that kind of response time to quickly mark the updates as "clean". I also up my sensitivity to high and HIPS to mid just so Avast is more sensitive and usually if it picks up something I know how to verify if it's clean or just a false positive.

Niente

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jul 24, 2016
Good software, but hasn't been updated in a while and can be closed from the system tray. Includes IDS for finer control.

Windows Firewall with the appropriate Network profile for Home, Work or Public is sufficient.

Great! I'm going to turn it on right now. :)

Thank you so much friends!

I think adding more second opinion scanners would do more good, on top of malwarebytes you should also use Zemana Antimalware for scanning since that has a better detection rate than malwarebytes. Also ensuring that Avast is set up properly would be a huge part in protecting your computer, PUP detection ON, Cyber capture set to ON and block all suspicious files, if you want hardened mode can be turned on too but personally I leave it off because I find that it blocks a lot of the new updates that my software has just because I update my software as soon as an update comes out and usually Avast doesn't have that kind of response time to quickly mark the updates as "clean". I also up my sensitivity to high and HIPS to mid just so Avast is more sensitive and usually if it picks up something I know how to verify if it's clean or just a false positive.

Very interesting. It could spread a new discussion about Avast Hardened Mode. :)

I just discovered Zemana Antimalware Free. I thought it only had pay product but surprised me with his fantastic Free edition.

Before, i said this is maybe one of the best forums i ever met, now i know it is simply the best! And you know it's true. ;)

Thanks guys, you're awesome!

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Very interesting. It could spread a new discussion about Avast Hardened Mode. :)

I just discovered Zemana Antimalware Free. I thought it only had pay product but surprised me with his fantastic Free edition.

Before, i said this is maybe one of the best forums i ever met, now i know it is simply the best! And you know it's true. ;)

Thanks guys, you're awesome!
No worries! Yes hardened mode is usually for the inexperienced but really hinders if you have a ton of software on your PC.

Zemana AM free has just the scanning capabilities, where as the paid has real time protection, both still fantastic products :D

Niente

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jul 24, 2016
Once you have enabled UAC & Smartscreen your config will be secure.Thanks for sharing it with us :)

Fantastic! It's exactly what i needed!

I really appreciate your work, thanks for making this forum a better place. ;)

I don't want to divert the thread but, what do you think about Avira Free?

I was reading the last AV Comparatives and shocked me seeing how Avast free was being compared against other pay antivirus or suites. That's very impressive.

Real-World Protection Test - AV-Comparatives

But, why they don't showed Avira Free results (instead of Avira Antivirus Pro)? :confused:

Is Avira Free worst than Avast Free?

I chosen Avast Free because i didn't saw Avira Free references in AV-Comparatives.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Avast free & Avast Internet Security are both very good as is Avira Free and there paid products.
Personally I have not tried Avira products in a very long time.
At the moment I am using Avast IS on one Laptop that I upgraded to Windows 10 yesterday.
I also use Avast free when I help somebody with their PC.It is good security and very good for the average user.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@Niente: Well the rules on AV-Comparatives and other independent organization must test Pro version to ensure all necessary features are included for maximum protection.

Avast Free is included because either the team itself choose or AV-Comparatives found out that features are already enough to compete.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.