King Alpha

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
Thanks for your replies. :)

I saw that 'NoVirusThanks ExeRadar Pro' has a Free version.

Do you know if this is a good combo with Avast Free and WinAntiRansom?

User Review - NoVirusThanks ExeRadar Pro v2.7

Thanks in advance!
Avast Free in Hardened Mode and NVT in Lockdown Mode is bulletproof IMO. WAR is not necessary if you have NVT ERP. Basically, WinAntiRansom is an Anti-Executable but it is dedicated for Ransomwares.

L

LabZero

I have to agree with the other suggestions and it is nice to see that you use Acronis TI, one of the best backup engine.
I would add Sandboxie to increase the security level, running the default browser under sandboxed session ( all of us have our "happy clicker moments ":D).

Niente

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jul 24, 2016
Avast Free in Hardened Mode and NVT in Lockdown Mode is bulletproof IMO. WAR is not necessary if you have NVT ERP. Basically, WinAntiRansom is an Anti-Executable but it is dedicated for Ransomwares.

I bought WinAntiRansom due to it low price and lifetime license.

This month i need clean a friend's PC and i don't want infect me with his ransomware. I hope WAR protects my PC meanwhile i try to rescue data.

But before, i'm going to hardening my PC's security following your smart suggestions. ;)

Thanks for your help!

Niente

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jul 24, 2016
I have to agree with the other suggestions and it is nice to see that you use Acronis TI, one of the best backup engine.
I would add Sandboxie to increase the security level, running the default browser under sandboxed session ( all of us have our "happy clicker moments ":D).

Yeah, i'm using Acronis True Image because i've had many problems with broken restorations using Windows own tool. It's a very powerful tool that even allow you to restore VHD images created by Windows.

Ha ha ha, our happy clicker momments... Alert! System fault. Please replace user. :D

Do you know if there is any Sandboxie's Free version?

Thanks in advance!

Niente

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jul 24, 2016
NVT Exe Radar Pro is strong by nature where you should maintain the rulesets as possible.

Thanks for your reply. ;)

Talking about ruleset, could be similar to WinAntiRansom's Whitelist?

Last week installed on my PC but i was dizzy trying to configure it properly.

I found this but it's a bit generic.

https://data.winpatrol.com/downloads/WinAntiRansomFastStart.pdf

I activated 'Smart Recognition' and added a whole data partition ( D: ) to Whitelist but i don't know if i'm doing wrong or if it is insufficient. :confused:

Do you know any other guide about WinAntiRansom? Any guide here in forum?

Thanks a lot!

L

LabZero

Do you know if there is any Sandboxie's Free version?
The free version of Sandboxie is fully functional lifetime.
Correct me, but if I well remember, the most important limitation of Sandboxie Free is impossible, after 30 days from the date of installation of the program, which simultaneously use more than one sandbox.
In each sandbox you can run, possibly more separate programs, but in the Free version of Sandboxie, it is not possible to maintain simultaneously open more sandbox.
In the free version, also, after the 30 days initial trial, Sandboxie shows a "nag screen" that forces you to wait for a few seconds before you can use the program.

Niente

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jul 24, 2016
I upgraded my security config.

Windows enhancement:

- UAC enabled. (Top level)
- SmartScreen (Not enabled - I only use Google Chrome)

Plugins added:

- uBlock Origin (adblocker)
- HTTPS Everywhere (https enhancement)
- Disconnect (privacy and security)

Programs installed:

- Zemana Anti Malware Free. (Second scanner)
- SandBoxie Free (for browsers)

How can i edit my post's configuration? :)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I upgraded my security config.

- UAC enabled. (Top level)
- SmartScreen (Not enabled - I only use Google Chrome)

How can i edit my post's configuration? :)
If you find that UAC on Maximum is otp, you can switch to default settings - check the differences on slider.

Windows Smartscreen is system-wide on Windows 8, 8.1 and 10. It's similar to Application Reputation and can provide an extra layer, when 1. Not detected by your Antivirus and 2. Not detected by Google's SafeBrowsing.

You can Edit your Config using the Thread Tools, or view the stickied topics under this sub-forum.

Niente

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jul 24, 2016
If you find that UAC on Maximum is otp, you can switch to default settings - check the differences on slider.

Windows Smartscreen is system-wide on Windows 8, 8.1 and 10. It's similar to Application Reputation and can provide an extra layer, when 1. Not detected by your Antivirus and 2. Not detected by Google's SafeBrowsing.

You can Edit your Config using the Thread Tools, or view the stickied topics under this sub-forum.

Thank you so much! I've edited the thread.

I've included SandBoxie Free in 'System Tuners, Privacy Cleaners and Encryption'. I don't know if it's ok. :oops:

Niente

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jul 24, 2016
Can i disable startup of Zemana Anti Malware Free and SandBoxie Free ? :)

I ask it because they don't seems to have any real time protection. So, i think they could be disabled from Windows boot.

Reactions: Logethica
L

LabZero

Can i disable startup of Zemana Anti Malware Free and SandBoxie Free ? :)

I ask it because they don't seems to have any real time protection. So, i think they could be disabled from Windows boot.
About ZAM you can, from the option settings but keep in mind that some of the underground services start anyway. Under 'Windows integration' settings of Sandboxie you can disable auto start and it works.

Niente

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jul 24, 2016
About ZAM you can, from the option settings but keep in mind that some of the underground services start anyway. Under 'Windows integration' settings of Sandboxie you can disable auto start and it works.

I see ZAM is in Windows task manager (Startup). If i disable it using task manager... Will ZAM start these services anyway?

Thanks a lot!

Niente

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jul 24, 2016
Pretty light security config @Niente :) What do you think about password managers and where do you store your existing passwords? Thanks for sharing your security config. Have a great time at MT. :)

Hi, i don't use password managers. I always remember the paswords, changing them due to mnemotechnic tricks. :)

Thanks for your kindy words.

Niente

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jul 24, 2016
I know that Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit (Free version) only protects browsers but anyway, has sense with my configuration?

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: King Alpha

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.