Gapp

Level 2
Hi guys,

I saw an old thread in Wilderssecurity about Greyshirts No-Root Firewall (Grey Shirts NoRoot Firewall for ANDROID) and it was an interesting read. While I use another alternative "Mobiwol No-Root firewall" I had not tried to use VPN with it. The thread says that in android you cannot run 2 VPNs as the no-root firewalls channel the connection to a VPN or some sort of VPN.

Come to think of it, is there a no-root android firewall that does not use VPN?

I have Blokada but it keeps shutting itself off when I use Mobiwol. I see that Blokada also uses VPN so as android does not allow 2 VPNs to run I am left to select eitherto run Blokada to contain ads or Mobiwol.

May I ask your advice which is the better choice there....? Use Blokada to block ads but leave the other apps without a sentry (Mobiwol) or use Mobiwol to sentry my apps but suffer the unbearable ads.

When I use Mobiwol I do not use my apps but I use the either Brave browser or DuckDuckGo browser to get rid of the ads.

Can you experts enlighten this non-geek please...

Thanks a many!

Spawn

Administrator
Verified
Staff member
Android only allows one instance of a VPN to be running, and both Blokada / NoRoot Firewall install a local VPN to do the filtering.

I have temporary* installed NoRoot Firewall (Google Play) alongside Adguard DNS (No App required) on Android 10.
Guide: How to make Android use the DNS server of your choice

Some more Android browser choices:
  • Mozilla's new "Fenix" browser Firefox Preview supports Add-ons, and the Nightly release may support more, but less stable.
  • Ghostery Privacy browser - Powerful Anti-Tracking, may break sites, GUI is not the best.
  • Microsoft Edge for Android has AdBlock Plus integration, some features are US only, provided by Microsoft.

*Removed due to unnecessarily complicated for new users, and required too much time to configure.

Gapp

Level 2
Android only allows one instance of a VPN to be running, and both Blokada / NoRoot Firewall install a local VPN to do the filtering.

I have temporary* installed NoRoot Firewall (Google Play) alongside Adguard DNS (No App required) on Android 10.
Guide: How to make Android use the DNS server of your choice

Some more Android browser choices:
  • Mozilla's new "Fenix" browser Firefox Preview supports Add-ons, and the Nightly release may support more, but less stable.
  • Ghostery Privacy browser - Powerful Anti-Tracking, may break sites, GUI is not the best.
  • Microsoft Edge for Android has AdBlock Plus integration, some features are US only, provided by Microsoft.

*Removed due to unnecessarily complicated for new users, and required too much time to configure.

Thanks for the reply. I will check out the links. I am using Marshmallow here is that okay?