Advice Request No-Root firewall, VPN, blocking ads

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Gapp

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Mar 26, 2017
Hi guys,

I saw an old thread in Wilderssecurity about Greyshirts No-Root Firewall (Grey Shirts NoRoot Firewall for ANDROID) and it was an interesting read. While I use another alternative "Mobiwol No-Root firewall" I had not tried to use VPN with it. The thread says that in android you cannot run 2 VPNs as the no-root firewalls channel the connection to a VPN or some sort of VPN.

Come to think of it, is there a no-root android firewall that does not use VPN?

I have Blokada but it keeps shutting itself off when I use Mobiwol. I see that Blokada also uses VPN so as android does not allow 2 VPNs to run I am left to select eitherto run Blokada to contain ads or Mobiwol.

May I ask your advice which is the better choice there....? Use Blokada to block ads but leave the other apps without a sentry (Mobiwol) or use Mobiwol to sentry my apps but suffer the unbearable ads.

When I use Mobiwol I do not use my apps but I use the either Brave browser or DuckDuckGo browser to get rid of the ads.

Can you experts enlighten this non-geek please...

Thanks a many!

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Android only allows one instance of a VPN to be running, and both Blokada / NoRoot Firewall install a local VPN to do the filtering.

I have temporary* installed NoRoot Firewall (Google Play) alongside Adguard DNS (No App required) on Android 10.
Guide: How to make Android use the DNS server of your choice

Some more Android browser choices:
  • Mozilla's new "Fenix" browser Firefox Preview supports Add-ons, and the Nightly release may support more, but less stable.
  • Ghostery Privacy browser - Powerful Anti-Tracking, may break sites, GUI is not the best.
  • Microsoft Edge for Android has AdBlock Plus integration, some features are US only, provided by Microsoft.

*Removed due to unnecessarily complicated for new users, and required too much time to configure.

Gapp

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Mar 26, 2017
Android only allows one instance of a VPN to be running, and both Blokada / NoRoot Firewall install a local VPN to do the filtering.

I have temporary* installed NoRoot Firewall (Google Play) alongside Adguard DNS (No App required) on Android 10.
Guide: How to make Android use the DNS server of your choice

Some more Android browser choices:
  • Mozilla's new "Fenix" browser Firefox Preview supports Add-ons, and the Nightly release may support more, but less stable.
  • Ghostery Privacy browser - Powerful Anti-Tracking, may break sites, GUI is not the best.
  • Microsoft Edge for Android has AdBlock Plus integration, some features are US only, provided by Microsoft.

*Removed due to unnecessarily complicated for new users, and required too much time to configure.

Thanks for the reply. I will check out the links. I am using Marshmallow here is that okay?

Reactions: oldschool

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.