No, you’re not being paranoid. Sites really are watching your every move

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Thanks for the links @upnorth but can i ask, if these extensions safe to download from the chrome store (just because of all the talk recently of unsafe apps on the chrome store) i am not clever enough to know if they are genuine and are they user friendly for dummies like me ? :unsure:

Your not a dummie IMO mate and especially since your here on this forum and ask questions and learn new things just like myself.

Deeper testings on extensions like this I belive members like @Opcode and a few others could do best. A few basic tips I would advice anyone is that before installing always take the time and search for the vendor/developer/extension/app name both here and through google and read about any possible pros and cons in reviews and also always, always check the main Website url in the web store as that should always point to the developers/vendors official site.
PnHoSQlY_o.png

Checking the date on the latest version and if it's updated regularly should also give you a good clue. Don't use too many extensions as that in itself make the risk higher getting crap on your machine that you don't want. Good luck! (y)

I sent a request to @Opcode .

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 65228

I took a quick look at ScriptSafe for you as @upnorth requested and it appears to be genuine and clean as far as I can tell.

The extension also uses hosts from lists such as MVPS Hosts, hpHOSTS, Malware Domain List and others. It also appears to have support for removing social networking related scripts (e.g. probably Like buttons for example). Alongside other things mentioned that it can do.

I don't think the extension is suspicious or has any malicious intents therefore my personal verdict is that it can be trusted and is clean.

Last edited by a moderator:

oneeye

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jul 14, 2014
Greetings all,

Let me just say, "WOW! So many great responses by diehard security fans, and very knowledgeable.

Here is the complete list of websites from the researchers. It's available to view html:
Site list

or download a zipped CSV file here: https://webtransparency.cs.princeton.edu/no_boundaries/data/sr_site_list.csv.zip

And the technical research article for those who want to dive into the methods.
No boundaries: Exfiltration of personal data by session-replay scripts

Sorry I'm late to the party, I need to check my email more often. Thanks to all who took interest in this issue.

I expect this to get more attention from the infosec community, and have seen many writing and podcasting already.

oneeye

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jul 14, 2014
I am actually surprised, what all it blocks: canvas, webrtc, malware domains, youtube ads. I can remove several and replace just with this one. :)

The canvas options are great: people were discussing which is better: unique, random or none. This lets you to choose from all.

If anyone is interested in fingerprinting, this site has several great articles on the subject. You might say, they even specialized in trying to negate online fingerprinting. I found it very informative.

Everything You Need to Know About Canvas Fingerprinting | Multiloginapp

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Greetings all,

Let me just say, "WOW! So many great responses by diehard security fans, and very knowledgeable.

Here is the complete list of websites from the researchers. It's available to view html:
Site list

or download a zipped CSV file here: https://webtransparency.cs.princeton.edu/no_boundaries/data/sr_site_list.csv.zip

And the technical research article for those who want to dive into the methods.
No boundaries: Exfiltration of personal data by session-replay scripts

Sorry I'm late to the party, I need to check my email more often. Thanks to all who took interest in this issue.

I expect this to get more attention from the infosec community, and have seen many writing and podcasting already.
Already posted in post #17

:)

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
Your not a dummie IMO mate and especially since your here on this forum and ask questions and learn new things just like myself.

Deeper testings on extensions like this I belive members like @Opcode and a few others could do best. A few basic tips I would advice anyone is that before installing always take the time and search for the vendor/developer/extension/app name both here and through google and read about any possible pros and cons in reviews and also always, always check the main Website url in the web store as that should always point to the developers/vendors official site.

Checking the date on the latest version and if it's updated regularly should also give you a good clue. Don't use too many extensions as that in itself make the risk higher getting crap on your machine that you don't want. Good luck! (y)

I sent a request to @Opcode .

Thanks for the advice @upnorth, i will take it on board and i tried to look yesterday at all that you mentioned in your post but i still couldn't decide :unsure:.

I took a quick look at ScriptSafe for you as @upnorth requested and it appears to be genuine and clean as far as I can tell.

The extension also uses hosts from lists such as MVPS Hosts, hpHOSTS, Malware Domain List and others. It also appears to have support for removing social networking related scripts (e.g. probably Like buttons for example). Alongside other things mentioned that it can do.

I don't think the extension is suspicious or has any malicious intents therefore my personal verdict is that it can be trusted and is clean.

Many thanks to you @Opcode, you are a
star-smiley-emoticon.png
my friend, you do so much to advise people and i am grateful to you. I was trying to weigh up the options if it was worth installing another extension then decided to look at the list posted above and thought nah, it isn't worth it really ............... but as i went further through the list i see there are least 20 sites i use and i only got to page 25 so my mind has been made up, in it goes.

Thanks again everyone for the advise and also to @oneeye for posting in the first place (y)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.