App Review NordVPN Review: How secure is a VPN?

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
The video above could have been done by Nord CEO - I really don't like the interface, I'm aware of the placement of countries on planet earth & don't need it on the interface which makes it cluttered (For me ExpressVPN has the cleanest interface) To find a server on Nord to unblock TV streaming can be difficult, Windscribe wins hands down for that IMHO.
Nord had privacy issues it sort of concealed, as an ex user of Nord it's way down any VPN list there is (I still have a year licence left i don't use) Certainty not number one - If you don't need Streaming unblocking, IVPN, if you do ExpressVPN, neither is cheap, for me the best value Windscribe, though the promised Widows update hasn't arrived yet? Though not looked for a few weeks (all IMHO)

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

I watch all the posted videos here and I'm surprised, well maybe not surprised that nobody from these guys say one word about using encrypted DNS in generally.
That's what protect plaintext DNS queries against man in the middle too.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
The video above could have been done by Nord CEO - I really don't like the interface, I'm aware of the placement of countries on planet earth & don't need it on the interface which makes it cluttered (For me ExpressVPN has the cleanest interface) To find a server on Nord to unblock TV streaming can be difficult, Windscribe wins hands down for that IMHO.
Nord had privacy issues it sort of concealed, as an ex user of Nord it's way down any VPN list there is (I still have a year licence left i don't use) Certainty not number one - If you don't need Streaming unblocking, IVPN, if you do ExpressVPN, neither is cheap, for me the best value Windscribe, though the promised Widows update hasn't arrived yet? Though not looked for a few weeks (all IMHO)
I'd not touch Nord after they were shown to be dishonest in the past. I'm with you on using Windscribe, it may be slower than some other VPNs like Express or SurfShark but I never have any issues with streaming and buffering. Windscribe is based in a FiveEyes country, but I'm not doing anything for that to be an issue!

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
NordVPN review here

My exprience.

I'm using it on my hp and I can say its Nordlynx (Wireguard) connection is fast and stable provided you can get the server connected.

Secondly, Nordlynx servers have connection issue when I ran in Linux Mint Mate 20 in Virtualbox on Windows 10 Pro 2004 host machine. They cannot connect.

In Linux Mint Mate

I set => nordvpn set technology => nordlynx (or openvpn if desired)

Then I type nordlynx c to let NordVPN to auto select the wireguard server. It selected a server but it failed to connect.

I surf using my hp on nordlynx and recorded some wireguard servers (country_code+server_number eg. hk224, th11, jp527 etc) and use them in Linux Mint Mate but they still cannot connect

No such issue if using the OpenVPN servers in Linux Mint Mate. I think nordlynx is not ready here although the provision is there

Lastly, I tried triple-hop and it works nicely.........a bit of slow down though i.e. using 3 different VPN providers and connecting as follows:

VPN1 (router) => VPN2 (host machine) => VPN3 (virtual machine)

Last edited:

Chipicao

Level 2
May 17, 2020
Many of those reviews are paid, never forget that.

NordVPN had a lot of issues with vulnerability, data leaks and much more. Not very trustable in the market.

Also NordVPN is not anonymous, they don't accept Bitcoin how people can tell they are good? If VPN doesn't accept Anonymous Payment that is bad, not "bad" but very very bad condition.

Mullvad VPN, iPredator.se, OVPN.se, DoubleHop. Vouch for Mullvad VPN, most people should learn with them. They don't ask for information like others VPN providers.

Are the best VPN in the market.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016

NordVPN had a lot of issues with vulnerability, data leaks and much more. Not very trustable in the market.

Also NordVPN is not anonymous, they don't accept Bitcoin how people can tell they are good? If VPN doesn't accept Anonymous Payment that is bad, not "bad" but very very bad condition.

Mullvad VPN, iPredator.se, OVPN.se, DoubleHop. Vouch for Mullvad VPN, most people should learn with them. They don't ask for information like others VPN providers.

The various payment methods are detailed here

What payment methods do you accept?

Note: PayPal payment method support was discontinued. For more information, read this article.

You are able to pay with credit cards, cryptocurrencies, AliPay, prepaid cards and many more. You can also make a payment through iTunes or Google Play.

There is also the possibility to purchase a subscription by cash in retail stores.

For more information, you can always go to our order page and start following the steps needed to make a payment for the subscription - the available payment methods will be listed down below the subscription packages.

Fuzzy_Bunny

Level 4
Thread author
Sep 19, 2019

Tell us more about that.

Reactions: Jack

Chipicao

Level 2
May 17, 2020
The various payment methods are detailed here

What payment methods do you accept?

Note: PayPal payment method support was discontinued. For more information, read this article.

You are able to pay with credit cards, cryptocurrencies, AliPay, prepaid cards and many more. You can also make a payment through iTunes or Google Play.

There is also the possibility to purchase a subscription by cash in retail stores.

For more information, you can always go to our order page and start following the steps needed to make a payment for the subscription - the available payment methods will be listed down below the subscription packages.

Ok, they accept. They didn't update the footer page where is the payment icons, it not shows Bitcoin.

but everything I said , still valid. NordVPN is not secure IMO.

Tell us more about that.

About what?

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Ok, read from the net and did some changes to virtualbox (see below) and now can connect to 2 numbers of Nordlynx servers in Linux Mint Mate. However, after disconnect I'm unable to reconnect to them again.

In System => Acceleration , set Paravirtualization Interface = KVM
1594125678747.png

In Network => Advanced, select Adapter Type = Paravirtualized Network (virtio-net)

1594125768476.png

Went back to do a reconnection in Linux Mint Mate and was lucky to connect to a NordLynx server, tw53

Screenshot at 2020-07-07 21-12-55.png

Last edited:

MegenM

Level 3
Well-known
Jun 8, 2020
I'd not touch Nord after they were shown to be dishonest in the past. I'm with you on using Windscribe, it may be slower than some other VPNs like Express or SurfShark but I never have any issues with streaming and buffering. Windscribe is based in a FiveEyes country, but I'm not doing anything for that to be an issue!

I was using Nord but switched to Surfshark a few months back. Not facing any issues till now.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.