Advice Request NordVPN vs Surfshark

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Templarware

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 13, 2021
Which one would you pick and why?
I like Malwarebytes and would want to use theirs, be it seems that their VPN lacks many features comparing to others.

Reactions: Sorrento and Kongo

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Neither, NordVPN and SurfShark is almost the "same thing" together with ExpressVPN, I would use Mullvad like Trooper suggested or Malwarebytes Privacy (it is Mullvad too), get what is cheaper for you.

Ps: Malwarebytes Privacy is an official Mullvad partner and reseller:

Kongo

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Have to agree with what was said before. Both companies now think that it's a good idea to even add an antivirus into their VPN. Why don't AVs and VPNs just stick to their roots?! AV companies should focus on their AV-products and VPNs should focus on their VPN-products. No need for such a useless mix of software. I mean McDonald's also doesn't suddenly start selling dog food :cautious:

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Have to agree with what was said before. Both companies now think that it's a good idea to even add an antivirus into their VPN. Why don't AVs and VPNs just stick to their roots?! AV companies should focus on their AV-products and VPNs should focus on their VPN-products. No need for such a useless mix of software. I mean McDonald's also doesn't suddenly start selling dog food :cautious:

Pretty much that, but in this case with Malwarebytes Privacy is a little different and its makes sense for consumers because you can get Mullvad technology paying much less (regional prices of Malwarebytes).

I live in Brazil, Malwarebytes Privacy is almost half the price of Mullvad VPN (5 euros/month), so for me it is a no-brainer.

Kongo

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Pretty much that, but in this case with Malwarebytes Privacy is a little different and its makes sense for consumers because you can get Mullvad technology paying much less (regional prices of Malwarebytes).

I live in Brazil, Malwarebytes Privacy is almost half the price of Mullvad VPN (5 euros/month), so for me it is a no-brainer.
In this case it's totally understandable, but in most cases it's just plain greed for profit of the various AV-companies.

AG3S

Level 2
Oct 14, 2020
I have Mullvad, SurfShark and also 1 more year of NordVPN...

Honestly I would not buy NordVPN again.

Due to the enough reasons that others mentioned above I LOVE Mullvad! You will get the best possible privacy that a VPN service can give you (not considering a self hosted VPN service).

SurfShark is also owned by NordVPN and I personally did not notice any difference between the quality of these two. So if I want to buy again I would not spend more on Nord!!!!!

At the end I would go with Mullvad... I got 3 years of Mullvad with discount from @SerialCart

Slerion

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2016
Out of the 2?
Nord, specially because theres often 100% cashback deals on it or 70-80% cashback deals so you can either get it for free or for 10-15 for 2 years.

outside of these 2 ?
Mullvad.

Surfshark sucks since 6 months very hard.

Reactions: Sorrento

n8chavez

Level 17
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
They're both owned by the same company now, so does it really matter? Gun to my head, I'd go Nord. Nord offers soscks5 proxy, which can be used to further restrict p2p. Surfshark does not. But, go with Mullvad.

Also, anything from Kape just plain sucks!

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Surfshark has NEXUS. Gives better privacy

It's Rotating IP feature is now out of beta.

cliffspab

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 4, 2019
Neither, NordVPN and SurfShark is almost the "same thing" together with ExpressVPN, I would use Mullvad like Trooper suggested or Malwarebytes Privacy (it is Mullvad too), get what is cheaper for you.

Ps: Malwarebytes Privacy is an official Mullvad partner and reseller:

I can see literally no reason to go with Mullvad over SurfShark beyond either your (valid) personal perception of the organisations or hipster (invalid) notion that Mullvad is cooler.

I've used both, and there's nothing that Mullvad does that SurfShark doesn't do better and cheaper - particularly its excellent customer support. I liked Mullvad, but if you want to go down the 'holier-than-thou' route, choose IVPN. Still no streaming but it's quick and as well as feeling luxurious, the client also offers internal DoH and some excellent tracker blocking.

EDIT - I just did a with/without SurfShark speedtest

VPN OFF - DL 129.48Mbps, UL 87.96Mbps, ping 8ms
VPN ON - DL 110.74Mbps, UL 83.16, ping 10ms

Last edited:
Reactions: [correlate]

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
or Malwarebytes Privacy (it is Mullvad too), get what is cheaper for you.
It seems that Malwarebytes has fewer servers. Mullvad has 841 servers, but Malwarebytes claims to only have 450+. Mullvad has 26 servers in Australia and a year ago, Malwarebytes only had two. I can't find current numbers, as Malwarebytes doesn't have information about its servers on their website.

Reactions: [correlate]

n8chavez

Level 17
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
I can see literally no reason to go with Mullvad over SurfShark beyond either your (valid) personal perception of the organisations or hipster (invalid) notion that Mullvad is cooler.

I've used both, and there's nothing that Mullvad does that SurfShark doesn't do better and cheaper - particularly its excellent customer support. I liked Mullvad, but if you want to go down the 'holier-than-thou' route, choose IVPN. Still no streaming but it's quick and as well as feeling luxurious, the client also offers internal DoH and some excellent tracker blocking.

EDIT - I just did a with/without SurfShark speedtest

VPN OFF - DL 129.48Mbps, UL 87.96Mbps, ping 8ms
VPN ON - DL 110.74Mbps, UL 83.16, ping 10ms

Sure there is. Surfshark is no longer content to be just a VPN; they've added (BitDefender?) an AV now. Well, is you try to do everything you'll be good at nothing. Just look at Acronis as an example. Get the product from someone who does that one thing, and does that one thing REALLY well. By the way, Mullvad also offers DoH in app.

cliffspab

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 4, 2019
Sure there is. Surfshark is no longer content to be just a VPN; they've added (BitDefender?) an AV now. Well, is you try to do everything you'll be good at nothing. Just look at Acronis as an example. Get the product from someone who does that one thing, and does that one thing REALLY well. By the way, Mullvad also offers DoH in app.
Fair point on in-app DoH, I forgot that. I turned off the SurfShark AV service, though - I too don't need that kind of bloat in my VPNs.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.