Status
Not open for further replies.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Wow lots of polls :p I use Kaspersky and Eset so I would say Kaspersky Pure 2.0.That is my opinion based on what works for me based on my needs and my usage.I dont like Norton but thats just my opinion.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
RE: What bloated suite

Earth said:
Don't waste time or money on BLOATED suites with extra crap that can clean your PC, or provide backup plans that require a subscription.

Don't be a fool for these types of (partial) scams.

:-/

Totally agree these suites have many features that are really completely useless to most users.

You can usually make a better security setup using a stand-alone free AV, firewall, secure email client or use web-base email and security browser extensions. Avoid bloated suites!!

Thanks.:D

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Trend Micro. Great webguard, great program. Only thing is that to people that have not used it before, it seems to them that it sues a lot.

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
I haven't used any of these so I voted "other"...all you need is a free av and good firewall like Avast and Comodo or Avira and Outpost or Panda Cloud and ZoneAlarm the combo's go on and on.

maaster

Level 1
Aug 5, 2012
superboy123 said:
hello friend can you tell me..which is better????

I have not tried norton products...so I cant say about them...but regarding the other two each are better in their own cases...

Bitdefender total security:
I haven't tried 2013 version but in 2012 version I performed tune up of pc....and after that it deleted some important registry I think so the system OS was corrupted and I had to format my system....I you ever use tune up in BTS beware !!!Ccleaner free does better!!may be they could have fixed these in 2013...Advantage is same as that of other BD products good detection rates and disadvantage slower scanning speeds and may be heavy on your system...

Kaspersky pure:
I recently tried this...the features that are available in kaspersky internet security 13 are presently not there in pure 2.0...maybe you could wait....and the start up time for this product is nearly 1-2 minutes after system start up or restart..this is really not suitable for my taste...during full system scan more system resources will be used and u can't play games and watch videos unless your system configuration is high!

I use ESET smart security 6 RC...I like it more than the other 2 vendors..detection is good,can be better...then I like these things that are not there in other suites
1)Interactive firewall mode
2)can't decipher whether an AV is installed or not because it is very light
3)configurable HIPS
4)ESET live grid etc...

superboy123

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
May 1, 2012
maaster said:
superboy123 said:
hello friend can you tell me..which is better????

I have not tried norton products...so I cant say about them...but regarding the other two each are better in their own cases...

Bitdefender total security:
I haven't tried 2013 version but in 2012 version I performed tune up of pc....and after that it deleted some important registry I think so the system OS was corrupted and I had to format my system....I you ever use tune up in BTS beware !!!Ccleaner free does better!!may be they could have fixed these in 2013...Advantage is same as that of other BD products good detection rates and disadvantage slower scanning speeds and may be heavy on your system...

Kaspersky pure:
I recently tried this...the features that are available in kaspersky internet security 13 are presently not there in pure 2.0...maybe you could wait....and the start up time for this product is nearly 1-2 minutes after system start up or restart..this is really not suitable for my taste...during full system scan more system resources will be used and u can't play games and watch videos unless your system configuration is high!

I use ESET smart security 6 RC...I like it more than the other 2 vendors..detection is good,can be better...then I like these things that are not there in other suites
1)Interactive firewall mode
2)can't decipher whether an AV is installed or not because it is very light
3)configurable HIPS
4)ESET live grid etc...

Yes it true....bitdefender is good detection but many problem.....my computer getting many problem after install bitdefender.....so i uninstall it and try norton 360....

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Kaspersky Pure is now on version 3 not 2. Probably it's lighter than version 2. Kaspersky provides better protection, Norton 360 is lighter than Pure (v2 or 3). I don't recommend BTS as many users have problems with bitdefender. About the other features except than protection, I don't know as I never use such suites.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
@ win8isgarb who was wondering about choosing between Kaspersky and Norton 360.

I have been using KIS since 2006.In January of 2007 version 6.0 was released and had very close to a 100% detection rate.Although they still had some issues with removal and false positives.Nevertheless it provided me with great protection and still does to this day.I have also tried Pure 2.0.I have not used Norton in a very long time but it seems to provide very good protection also.You have a nice situation having 2 security suites for free.I can only say to try them both and see which one fits you best as it depends on your personal configuration and use.

Kaspersky provides top notch protection as I have been well over 10 years without an infection.As for the usual "heavy on the resources" comments,I really never experienced this.Just a bit longer of a startup time while KIS is loading.I guess if you are using a couple gerbils on a wheel for a processor and 512mb of ram it will be heavy on the resources. KIS/Pure have some very useful features such as a virtual keyboard and safe pay.Sure there are some things you may never use but these can also be disabled especially the browser add-ons.Kaspersky also have some very useful utilities included in their suites.I wouldn't consider them to be "crapware".I personally like bling so glitter is good for me.

How or where anyone obtained the licenses is really a moot point and has no bearing on this thread. Your inquiry about what the members experiences with these 2 products to help you in making a decision is a valid one.Whether someone obtained them in giveaway or not has no bearing on this.

My experiences have been with Kaspersky and other security software and not really Norton.I would say the only way to really know is give them a test run and see which one does the best for you especially in terms of system performance.Sure Kaspersky is going to be a bit "heavier " than Norton but only you can tell which one you prefer.I would definitely suggest taking Kaspersky for a trial.

D

Deleted member 178

All i can say about those 2 is:

Any Norton products when uninstalled used to leave many entries. Also i had a bad experience with Norton Utilities (some modules are in N360) in the past so i'm not warm about N360.

Kaspersky Pure was great except the first database update that took ages to be downloaded. After it was a very good software.

so if i won them in giveaways, i will use Pure; but i will not buy them but rather KIS or NIS and add my 3rd party cleaner/tweaker.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I couldn't tell as they are just adding some stuffs like cleaninh utilities which depend by the users to use it.

May varies from detection and other components protection, so if what's the result on home products then its same here already.

DTech28

Verified
Apr 13, 2013
Kaspersky does take some time to do special scans and cleaning processes but if you have a clean system, that is like it does not exist.

The users who deny Kaspersky improvements over the years are users who do not even install Kaspersky and just assume.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.