Norton IS 2012 total Fail! Reviewed by Languy99

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
As previously said, Nothing is perfect.

They can improve Product Tamper feature as much as they like. But somewhere, A malware virus writer will find a way around it and exploit it. It's just an act of instinct and time.

MetalShaun

Level 1
Mar 3, 2011
MrXidus said:
As previously said, Nothing is perfect.

They can improve Product Tamper feature as much as they like. But somewhere, A malware virus writer will find a way around it and exploit it. It's just an act of time and instinct.

But these companies really need to be on Red Alert for this sort of thing.

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
I agree, it's just a never ending game of cat and mouse. Tamper protection can be improved, but how long before it needs to be improved again.

D

Deleted member 178

it just need to be improved all the time. they can and must do it.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well they must continuously improved especially when new vector to make an AV terminated.

ghost

Level 1
Jan 16, 2011
Tamper protection in Norton 2012 is improved. Looks like some "funny boys" still can't disable it without going in Safe Mode. Even if you disable it manually you still can't change some important files.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Littlebits said:
I know when I first installed Norton 2011 and tested it awhile back for some reason the Tamper protection wasn't enabled. I had to manually turn it on. If Tamper Protection was on, then Norton really needs to improve it.

Norton Tamper Protection is on by default.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Interesting result.... It seems that NIS 2012 was 'killed' by the famous ZeroAccess.Rootkit, this rootkit is one of the most advanced kernel mode rootkit currently known and can disable not just NIS 2012 but a lot of other security suites.

On Symantec Security Response, the staff said that the signatures can detect the ZeroAccess Rootkit but as we've seen that wasn't the case so most likely this rootkit received an update.

The Download Insight worked perfectly in the web-links test but when it came to running malicious files the 'File Insight' system was useless, maybe Symantec should re-think this feature and analyze the file before allowing the user to run the file...just a idea.

Last edited:

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Symantec has found and is fixing the problem.

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Concerned-about-NIS-2012-efficiency/m-p/533592#M171927

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Languy99 recorded a new video test but this time he throw the malware samples which 'killed' NIS 2012 at CIS 5.8

Languy99 said:
FIY all this video was made just for comodo employees and moderators. Someone from comodo decided to post this video on facebook, my guess would be they want people to see it. So now it is public.
Uploaded by languy99 on Sep 11, 2011

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.