Norton IS 2012 total Fail! Reviewed by Languy99

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
thewolfsmith72, Please read my post above and stop misleading other users with that nonsense post, Main reasons why users got infected while using Symantec products is because they're not looking if it's either Expired or Outdated or they turned it OFF.

swftech

Thread author
Jun 20, 2011
BoXX28 said:
FYI, When Symantec released the 2009 versions of NAV and NIS, everything was rewritten from scratch so it will operate much faster than what it used to be, And Starting with the 2010 versions, NAV and NIS greatly improved their detection and protection rates, This had been proven again with the release of 2011 versions. So tell me, What's that bloated program you're talking about? You're posting NONSENSE. And the reason why it doesn't "block what needs to be blocked" is because your customers owns an expired subscription, Turned the security software OFF and didn't updated NAV/NIS in the first place.

You have a very valid point. Although I haven't used Norton in many years I have heard from many that it is extremely lightweight now. And yes, many of my clients have outdated versions and signatures because they didn't renew their subscription, but that just brings me to another point. The average user is not security conscious enough to keep their AV program up to date unless you hold their hand and do it for them regularly, so why not give them security software that is free and they never have to worry about it running out and not protecting them? And there is no denying that there are some awesome free AV's out there that are better than Norton.
Edit to add - I don't want this thread to turn into a flame war, I am just trying to make a valid point. We all care very much about security or we wouldn't be members of this awesome forum and share info to help everyone out. And we all have our preference as to which product protects us the best, and when I see something as popular as Norton fail a basic test that badly I am going to let people know about it, and the alternatives that they have available to them. The only way to really know if another AV would protect better than Norton did in that test, is to run other products against those exact same samples he used with Norton. But I can tell you this...when he extracted those files he should not have had to manually scan that folder. If I extract a rar or zip right this minute, Comodo will be scanning those files as they are extracted. And whether it's Comodo or Avast, when clicking them they would have been sandboxed before running.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
BoXX28 said:
FYI, When Symantec released the 2009 versions of NAV and NIS, everything was rewritten from scratch so it will operate much faster than what it used to be, And Starting with the 2010 versions, NAV and NIS greatly improved their detection and protection rates, This had been proven again with the release of 2011 versions. So tell me, What's that bloated program you're talking about? You're posting NONSENSE. And the reason why it doesn't "block what needs to be blocked" is because your customers owns an expired subscription, Turned the security software OFF and didn't updated NAV/NIS in the first place.

Exactly, Let's say before the older version were worst enough but now it was a stepping stone to make continuous product perform better.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
First and Foremost, in the first place, a user must have a plan to keep their System secure which most people doesn't do.Yes there are products that are just as good or could even be better than NAV/NIS but the user is still the one to blame why they got infected in the first place.

D

Deleted member 178

i can just say that :

popcorn_yes.gif

:D

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
I still don't no where people get the idea that Norton is bloated. From 2010-2012 it has been nothing but light and fast. I wonder how many people bashing it have actuall first hand experience using it.

As for protection, a product can only be as good as the user. Having other measures such as backups put in place to protect your PC are essential also.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
With that "Scanning while being extracted" portion you're mentioning, It could be just a bug within NIS and NIS doesn't have a sandbox so don't expect a pop-up from it saying that the file has been sandboxed. Get to know the product first before posting nonsense about it.

swftech

Thread author
Jun 20, 2011
BoXX28 said:
With that "Scanning while being extracted" portion you're mentioning, It could be just a bug within NIS and NIS doesn't have a sandbox so don't expect a pop-up from it saying that the file has been sandboxed. Get to know the product first before posting nonsense about it.

And since I have other things to do at the moment, I'll leave this as my last reply for now.

In your own words...
"It could be just a bug within NIS and NIS doesn't have a sandbox so don't expect a pop-up from it saying that the file has been sandboxed."

Exactly why I don't use it or recommend it. No sandbox, and a final release that has bugs!

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
I believe, but I may be wrong here, that the extracted folder doesn't get scanned until you open it. It think this was the case in 2011 also.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
FYI, All software has bugs and Software Bugs needs time to be sorted and be fixed. This might get fixed when a patch gets released in the near future. If you like using Security Software with Virtualization, Go check out Kaspersky. But please, Stop misleading other users with your pointless posts.

D

Deleted member 178

for example WRSA works mostly on execution, maybe the case with NIS

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Probably NIS was designed to detect when its Write instead of Read. So the detection will popup when its was clicked.

D

Deleted member 178

and the french made malware (pctuto) bypass NIS...

i think France is ready for the malware world cup ! :D

ghost

Level 1
Jan 16, 2011
This is getting nowhere and eventually this topic will get into the Free vs Paid area. I'm sorry but i haven't seen yet a motive for bashing this product. Can i ask you why is languy more trusted then Av-C and other well known testers. My opinion is just one, Norton released a buggy version like many vendors are doing these days, look at Kaspersky with their already 5 patches, Comodo with their long life problems, recently Avast with their UI problem, Bitdefender also with their long life problems and i can continue but i really don't want to be seen as i am attacking everybody's favorite. Mistakes can be made cause behind those products are people, not robots. Some of those mentioned earlier are also my favorites.

mhartsellm

Mar 8, 2011
Norton Internet Security is one of the very elite antivirus programs in the world today as has been proven over and over again the last several years by the major independent testers as we have all seen. I have not even bothered to watch Languy99's review on this subject, no need to.

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
in this week, i'll test with bunch of links. wait for it.
cheers.
** i believe, NIS will not downhill. don't trust with 1 test. if 5 or more test with same result (NIS fail) i trust it.
it just 1 ,man. wake up :p

I

illumination

BoXX28 said:
thewolfsmith72, Please read my post above and stop misleading other users with that nonsense post, Main reasons why users got infected while using Symantec products is because they're not looking if it's either Expired or Outdated or they turned it OFF.

Excuse me! Me posting what i have come across is in no way nonsense! As others stated here in this thread already, unless you just get on and check your email ,and get right back off, your bound to run into something on the net. Now my personal opinion of not liking Norton, well, that is just what it is.. Nothing in my post was misleading in any way, shape or form.. If you look again, you will notice i mentioned a couple others in that post that have let infections through also..

P.S. i do check to see if the users computer im working on, security is up to date, and or turned on..

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
Tomo and mhartsellm

Langguy99 does objective reviews (at least I think so); he tested and saw how NIS performed. NIS may have had bad day but that happens.

That a AV is killed by a malware which no good sigh. I have seen happen to norton, avast and avg... This is not the first Norton gets killed and uninstalled.

Let not forget that you, as user, are safe if you only keep yourself to known site, make sure that you don't take usb sticks from friends, and so on. Even Claim AV will be enough...

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.