App Review Norton Security 360

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Product name
Norton Security 360
Installation (rating)
5.00 star(s)
User interface (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Accessibility notes
Very clear and nice interface.
Everything is quickly accessible, and it is very configurable!
Performance (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Core Protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Proactive protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Additional Protection notes
Norton has many defensive shields (Auto-Protect, SONAR, Download Insight, Web Protection etc)
Browser protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Positives
    • Low impact on system resources
    • Lightning fast scans
    • Highly configurable
    • Easy to use
    • Simple and non-intrusive
    • Ransomware protection
    • Strong and reliable protection
    • Detects or blocks in the wild malware
    • Consistently high test scores
    • Accurate results and reliable antivirus engine
    • Effective malicious URL blocking
    • Virus signatures are updated daily
    • Excellent scores in independent tests
    • Effective malware removal
    • Well designed, clear and easy to use interface
    • Multi-layer protection approach
Negatives
    • Can be costly to run
Time spent using product
Reviewed over a 30-day period
Computer specs
VMWare Workstation Pro 16
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
8Go dedied to 32Go DDR4
MSI GeForce RTX 2060 XS OC
Recommended for
  1. All types of users
  2. High-end or medium spec PCs
Overall rating
5.00 star(s)

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Exactly the same thing happened with me a couple of months back when I used Norton. For some reason it can't differentiate between SSD and HDD. Defragmenting a SSD is detrimental to it's lifespan. When I disabled the automatic tasks from Norton I found out that it had also disabled the windows built-in disk optimizer (which was then configured by Norton to never run).

I can confirm that Norton configured Windows built-in disk optimizer to never run after I disabled the automatic task in Norton settings (because of it mistaking my SSD with a HDD), oh well.

devjit2020

Level 2
Apr 7, 2022
I can confirm that Norton configured Windows built-in disk optimizer to never run after I disabled the automatic in Norton (because of it mistaking my SSD with a HDD), oh well.
This is a long time bug in Norton. I think that it should be reported to the developers since they might have no idea regarding this bug. Other than this small annoyance the rest of the suite is top notch. I really love their download insight, smart firewall and SONAR.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
From what I've just read, Norton is just running Microsoft's own defrag app, rather than doing the defrag itself. It shouldn't really be a problem in my opinion, as Windows defrags SSD monthly anyway.

Yes, it actually does that (call Microsoft defrag app), but for unknown reasons it doesnt make the TRIM command, it actually defrags the SSD, it is a bug and it clearly shouldnt happen.

When Norton is installed it changes how Windows defrag sees a SSD disk, it is treated like a normal HDD, I tested today and it was shocking to say the least.

Ps: Windows 11 x64

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Windows does defrag SSDs, but only once a month.

If you have Norton installed you can try yourself, when it is enabled Windows defrag will treat the SSD like if it was a HDD.

Without Norton ("0 dias desde a última reotimização" and that means 0 days since the last optimization; in another words, the last time TRIM command was called):

NIewnSx.jpeg

With Norton installed it will show fragmentation data for the SSD partition (like the "D" partition in the photo that is a normal HDD) and everytime the task runs it will do a defrag, not a TRIM command.

The best way to reproduce the bug is to make Norton "optimization" task run manually, so while it is working you can check the Windows Defrag for info, you will see it doing a full defrag.

devjit2020

Level 2
Apr 7, 2022
One of the first things I do after installing windows is to disable system restore, page file and hibernation (also disables fast start-up). Thereafter I disable move to recycle bin and enable the option ask before deleting. Call me paranoid but I don't want unnecessary writes on my SSD

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
One of the first things I do after installing windows is to disable system restore, page file and hibernation (also disables fast start-up). Thereafter I disable move to recycle bin and enable the option ask before deleting. Call me paranoid but I don't want unnecessary writes on my SSD
But SSD is made to be used... If you dont want writes leave your computer off ( joking haha )

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
I have a Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2 around £140 UKP - And a 4 TB WD SSD - So from my point of view worth spending just a few minutes cutting down unnecessary wear, I can't think of a single reason not to?

Reactions: L0ckJaw

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Call me paranoid but I don't want unnecessary writes on my SSD
My main SSD, a Samsung 840 EVO, has 75% health after 24.58TB of writes, so I'm not worried at all about limiting writes. That is only based on the estimate life according to Samsung, rather than an accurate indication of when the drive will fail. But it's still a useful guide and there have been tests of SSDs where they have lasted longer than the manufacturer's estimates.

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
I've never had a SSD wear out, but some simple steps to remove such things as indexing that were specifically designed for a spinner & I don't use Media Player anyway - Prefetch again to assist spinners, why not remove such things that do no good because Windows probably wont?

devjit2020

Level 2
Apr 7, 2022
Practically modern SSD's have so much write cycles that they'll outlive me unless I'm using them in a server. But still I don't use features I don't need. I have 32GB RAM so no need of page file. I use MR to create system images so no need of System Restore for me. My PC boots in about 10 seconds without fast boot so no need of hibernation for me. I keep all my documents in my external HDD so no need of recycle bin for me for the System Drive. Anyways we're diverting from the main topic so let's stay with Norton guys otherwise he'll feel sad because we're forgetting about him. 😭

F

ForgottenSeer 94654

Norton does have AMSI monitoring that prevents malware from being downloaded as an exploit.
However, the downloaded file must be detected. Otherwise, SONAR intervenes to stop the attack.
I test it a lot and I know how it defends itself :)
Do you even know what AMSI is? AMSI parses scripts & macros and some UAC. AMSI is only for the following (and, if Norton properly implemented their integration with AMSI, then it works for code loaded into memory\"fileless").:
  • User Account Control, or UAC (elevation of EXE, COM, MSI, or ActiveX installation)
  • PowerShell (scripts, interactive use, and dynamic code evaluation)
  • Windows Script Host (wscript.exe and cscript.exe)
  • JavaScript and VBScript
  • Office VBA macros

Shadowra

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Do you even know what AMSI is? AMSI parses scripts & macros and some UAC. AMSI is only for the following (and, if Norton properly implemented their integration with AMSI, then it works for code loaded into memory\"fileless").:
  • User Account Control, or UAC (elevation of EXE, COM, MSI, or ActiveX installation)
  • Office VBA macros

I know very well what AMSI is, please don't take me for a fool....

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
  • Office VBA macros
And this one is back again… was hoping he is back at the asylum

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.