Battle Norton Security or Symantec Endpoint Protection?

Compare list
Symantec Endpoint Protection
Norton Security
In-depth Comparison

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
Hello guys. I'm stuck in a dilemma as to what I should choose for my family desktop. It still runs Windows 7 (please don't tell me to upgrade to 10 right now, I'll do it by the end of this year) and is used by my parents just to watch movies, listen to songs and for casual browsing. I have a license of SEP lying around with me but I'm a bit hesitant to Install it after hearing about the Broadcomm acquisition. Does it offer the same protection as before? Or should I switch to Norton Security (or maybe Kaspersky). I don't need the cloud backup feature of Norton tbh since I already have MEGA on the PC. So what are your suggestions? Stick with SEP or go with Norton/Kaspersky?

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
If you have a license for SEP... use it. SEP is good protection. There is more granularity in some of the settings with SEP.

But -- for those choosing one or the other, choose Norton 360. It updates more often, it has more layers, it has backup, it has a VPN, credit monitoring, camera protection.... SEP does not have all that.

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I agree with Burrito , You can not go wrong ,I have both but use SEP the Firewall in is just better(at least there is way more settings,I run it along side of Hitmanpro Alert(I know Umbra a waste of resources)and maybe I am stuck on stupid but the option to block all traffic until the firewall starts and after the firewall stops, and application monitoring,stealth mode,many others .Plus I got this program dirt cheap,lucky for me I also got the Norton 360 really cheap using it on other computer{Grand kids when they come over}

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
I agree with Burrito , You can not go wrong ,I have both but use SEP the Firewall in is just better(at least there is way more settings,I run it along side of Hitmanpro Alert(I know Umbra a waste of resources)and maybe I am stuck on stupid but the option to block all traffic until the firewall starts and after the firewall stops, and application monitoring,stealth mode,many others .Plus I got this program dirt cheap,lucky for me I also got the Norton 360 really cheap using it on other computer{Grand kids when they come over}

Yeah, I really like the granularity and lightness of SEP.

Hang onto it.... Symantec is slowly taking SEP away from consumers. Until recently, a consumer could purchase SEP easily on Amazon and eBay... it is drying up quickly.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I've been plagued with emails & phone calls from Symantec recently (they seem to feel I own Amazon) after they found it was a business user - Especially now SEP has less associated junk with it as Norton 360 is going very consumer lots of reasons to use SEP but harder to setup - IMHO both are good but time may change things.

fabiobr

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
I've been plagued with emails & phone calls from Symantec recently (they seem to feel I own Amazon) after they found it was a business user - Especially now SEP has less associated junk with it as Norton 360 is going very consumer lots of reasons to use SEP but harder to setup - IMHO both are good but time may change things.
One good thing is that both use the same cloud network, even after Symantec being bought.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
For clarity... the products we've referred to as SEP and SEC-C are transitioning to SES. Broadcom is aggressively transitioning licensing from SEP/SEP-C to SES.

And Broadcom sold Symantec’s cyber security services business to Accenture.

And.... possibly Broadcom/Symantec is focusing on the top portion of the market -- in size, so focusing on the largest enterprise customer base and pulling back somewhat from the small business / midsize market. That's what I was told by an industry rep anyway --- I'm not sure of its accuracy.

===============

Broadcom is announcing that all customers running Symantec Endpoint Protection Cloud (SEP Cloud) or Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition (SEP SBE) will receive a free upgrade to Symantec Endpoint Security (SES), the industry-leading endpoint protection platform, for the remainder of your existing subscription. SES goes beyond malware protection: it helps protect against emerging threats across laptops, desktops, tablets, servers, and mobile phones.

When you transition to SES, you will gain the following security protections:

• Intensive Protection that enables fine-grained tuning of the level of detection and blocking separately to optimize protection and gain enhanced visibility into suspicious files
  • Network Connection Security that identifies rogue Wi-Fi networks and utilizes hotspot reputation technology to deliver a policy-driven VPN to protect network connections and support compliance
  • Artificial intelligence (AI)- guided security management for establishing strong security policies with fewer misconfigurations to help improve overall security hygiene and posture
  • Continuing threat intelligence updates, ased on Symantec’s Global Intelligence Network
  • Integration with other Symantec solutions for more complete threat intelligence and correlated threat analysis
Timing

Effective immediately, Symantec has asked partners to stop selling SEP Cloud and SEP SBE, which means you will no longer be able to renew or add additional seats to your current subscription. That said, we will allow sales until 4 MAY 2020

XLR8R

Level 4
Jan 20, 2020
TBH, I'd advise getting off the Norton/Symantec train.

There's no clarity on who owns the engine and protection IP. And how it will translate to products going forward.

Even employees are not very sure what the future holds. I wouldn't really touch anything Symantec/Norton for the next 18 months till both companies get their act together.

One thing I do know is that broadcom is not interested in SMB, they are targeting large enterprises. It is currently a coin toss as to how Norton LifeLock will carry on.

B

BVLon

TBH, I'd advise getting off the Norton/Symantec train.

There's no clarity on who owns the engine and protection IP. And how it will translate to products going forward.

Even employees are not very sure what the future holds. I wouldn't really touch anything Symantec/Norton for the next 18 months till both companies get their act together.

One thing I do know is that broadcom is not interested in SMB, they are targeting large enterprises. It is currently a coin toss as to how Norton LifeLock will carry on.
I do trust the Norton/Symantec train (I know every small corner of this train), but lately other trains start to get my attention a bit more... I've found dozens of ridiculously cheap backup services that can be coupled with TrendMicro for example...Not sure if I will remain on this train.

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I do trust the Norton/Symantec train (I know every small corner of this train), but lately other trains start to get my attention a bit more... I've found dozens of ridiculously cheap backup services that can be coupled with TrendMicro for example...Not sure if I will remain on this train.
Where are you finding deals on backup programs and do you recommend TrendMicro ?

B

BVLon

Where are you finding deals on backup programs and do you recommend TrendMicro ?

Please have a look at that. At the moment they haven't got mobile apps to backup your phone automatically, but they are rumored to be coming this year. For £35.00 you get 1 TB for a lifetime.
Regrding TrendMicro, yes, I do recommend them. It is a very professionally designed. It comes packed with features that everyone would love, such as te folders shield, the privacy scanner, tuneup... everything is quick and easy with the software... It is a bit heavier than Norton, Kaspersky and McAfee, but it will hardly be an issue for anyone. It also boasts very effective web-filter (aggressiveness can be customized). Their mobile apps are top-notch. I highly advise everyone looking for simple, yet effective protection to have a look at TrendMicro.

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014

Please have a look at that. At the moment they haven't got mobile apps to backup your phone automatically, but they are rumored to be coming this year. For £35.00 you get 1 TB for a lifetime.
Regrding TrendMicro, yes, I do recommend them. It is a very professionally designed. It comes packed with features that everyone would love, such as te folders shield, the privacy scanner, tuneup... everything is quick and easy with the software... It is a bit heavier than Norton, Kaspersky and McAfee, but it will hardly be an issue for anyone. It also boasts very effective web-filter (aggressiveness can be customized). Their mobile apps are top-notch. I highly advise everyone looking for simple, yet effective protection to have a look at TrendMicro.
That is a good deal way cheaper than Acronis,gonna take a hard look Thanks

fabiobr

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
For clarity... the products we've referred to as SEP and SEC-C are transitioning to SES. Broadcom is aggressively transitioning licensing from SEP/SEP-C to SES.

And Broadcom sold Symantec’s cyber security services business to Accenture.

And.... possibly Broadcom/Symantec is focusing on the top portion of the market -- in size, so focusing on the largest enterprise customer base and pulling back somewhat from the small business / midsize market. That's what I was told by an industry rep anyway --- I'm not sure of its accuracy.

===============

Broadcom is announcing that all customers running Symantec Endpoint Protection Cloud (SEP Cloud) or Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition (SEP SBE) will receive a free upgrade to Symantec Endpoint Security (SES), the industry-leading endpoint protection platform, for the remainder of your existing subscription. SES goes beyond malware protection: it helps protect against emerging threats across laptops, desktops, tablets, servers, and mobile phones.

When you transition to SES, you will gain the following security protections:

• Intensive Protection that enables fine-grained tuning of the level of detection and blocking separately to optimize protection and gain enhanced visibility into suspicious files
  • Network Connection Security that identifies rogue Wi-Fi networks and utilizes hotspot reputation technology to deliver a policy-driven VPN to protect network connections and support compliance
  • Artificial intelligence (AI)- guided security management for establishing strong security policies with fewer misconfigurations to help improve overall security hygiene and posture
  • Continuing threat intelligence updates, ased on Symantec’s Global Intelligence Network
  • Integration with other Symantec solutions for more complete threat intelligence and correlated threat analysis
Timing

Effective immediately, Symantec has asked partners to stop selling SEP Cloud and SEP SBE, which means you will no longer be able to renew or add additional seats to your current subscription. That said, we will allow sales until 4 MAY 2020
This makes sense with Norton coming back to small business with Norton mark to fill that gap.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.