Norton Security sometimes deletes the detected item info

• Thread starter Deleted member 2913
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I am thinking of running Norton on my Win 10 64 family laptop.

I read about Norton here, Wilders, etc... And 1 reason worries me. Users here, Wilders, Norton forum, etc... have mentioned Norton sometimes deletes the detected item so no way to recover the item. This is an old Norton issue or design. And seems they are not going to do anything about it. This is not good.

Norton users, have Norton deleted anything & anything important on your system?

Shran

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 19, 2015
Norton keeps history for a limited time, I think 90 days. If you are worried about it deleting something important and removing it from history before you can restore it from quarantine, I will say this: if it takes you 90 days to notice.... it probably wasn't that important ;)

And yes, frogboy is right, it only removes items it thinks are a threat. And like I said if it was a false-positive, you will probably notice before 90 days if it was really important

Reactions: Logethica
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Norton keeps history for a limited time, I think 90 days. If you are worried about it deleting something important and removing it from history before you can restore it from quarantine, I will say this: if it takes you 90 days to notice.... it probably wasn't that important ;)

And yes, frogboy is right, it only removes items it thinks are a threat. And like I said if it was a false-positive, you will probably notice before 90 days if it was really important
Plzz read OP carefully, the bold part.

Sometimes Norton deletes the detected item without quarantine.

Shran

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 19, 2015
:confused: Sorry, did not read carefully lol.

I have only had Norton actually delete an item outright under one circumstance: it detects so many items that the quarantine gets full. Example: I extract a pack of 500 malwares to try and overload the realtime protection. After about 100 samples, it started deleting rather than quarantining.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I wonder whats Norton criteria for deleting files?

Couple days back I was going through Norton thread on Wilders. A user mentioned Norton deleted monitor or graphic card file.

The Symantec/Norton Thread. | Page 8 | Wilders Security Forums
Go through the posts on the thread specially users Frank the Perv & xxJackxx & especially Nightwalker.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Is Norton good at detecting PUP?

Which is the best AV at detecting PUP?

breathejustice

Level 2
Verified
Oct 18, 2014
The early version of Norton 22.xx deleleted my old version of adobe acrobat files, etc. No quarantine...

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
It isnt so bad nowadays, it seems that Symantec tweaked the quarantine "routine", false positives with reputation insight are much less severe too.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
It isnt so bad nowadays, it seems that Symantec tweaked the quarantine "routine", false positives with reputation insight are much less severe too.
Are you the same Nightwalker from Wilders?

How is Norton at PUP detection?
Coz no infection yet, but I do find PUP on my family system.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Are you the same Nightwalker from Wilders?

How is Norton at PUP detection?
Coz no infection yet, but I do find PUP on my family system.

Yes I am.

In my experience Norton is good against PUP because of reputation security technology (Norton Insight), but if you are worried, change heuristics and Sonar to "Agressive" and install Unchecky.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Yes I am.

In my experience Norton is good against PUP because of reputation security technology (Norton Insight), but if you are worried, change heuristics and Sonar to "Agressive" and install Unchecky.
If its good will go with default.
Unchecky is already installed.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Is the toolbar required for malicious url/phishing protection i.e web protection?

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Thread author
Is the toolbar required for malicious url/phishing protection i.e web protection?
Kind of Norton Security itself will jump into action if a website drops a file or in its signatures, but for most things yes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.