Serious Discussion NortonLifeLock to Acquire Avira

tipo

Level 8
Thread author
Well-known
Jul 26, 2012
NortonLifeLock today announced an agreement to acquire Avira, a company that provides a consumer-focused portfolio of cybersecurity and privacy solutions with a strong base in Europe and key emerging markets. (Graphic: Business Wire)

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Same news from Bleeping Computer:
By acquiring Avira, NortonLifeLock hopes to expand into the freemium consumer market and strong markets in Europe and other emerging regions.

“I am delighted to welcome Avira to the Norton family,” said Vincent Pilette, CEO, NortonLifeLock. “We strive to bring Cyber Safety to everyone, and acquiring Avira adds a growing business to our portfolio, accelerates our international growth and expands our go-to-market model with a leading freemium solution. Culturally, we are a great match. We share a relentless focus on delivering innovative products to customers and we always think customer-first. We cannot wait to get started with Avira.”

In April 2020, Investcorp Technology Partners purchased Avira for $180 million. With this sale, Avira effectively doubled its value over the last eight months.
I also wanted to post this news, thank @Jack for the search function :D
Will we now see F-Secure getting Norton signatures?

tarlykarly

Oct 20, 2017
Quite the interesting development. Very exciting, for sure!

This got me thinking whether this also has something to do with Avira's technologies. Given Symantec's split and its business-oriented part's acquisition by Broadcom, I wonder whether some kind of licensing deal regarding Norton's use of technologies had something to do with this development. If they have remained to Broadcom, could that maybe mean that Norton was in search of acquiring a company who could replace their signatures, cloud tech etc?

Maybe it's a bit far-fetched of a theory 😅

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Bad news for Avira partners, especially F-Secure and BullGuard, but maybe it is good news for Norton users, after all nowadays it is a mediocre solution, they simple dont have malware expertise anymore, they really need Avira for signatures and malware hunting.

G

Guilhermesene

Amazingly Norton on my computer is what makes the machine lighter, even lighter than ESET. I hope that with this acquisition Norton protection will be better without losing light performance and without adding several bloatwares.

Note: I currently use Norton 360 Premium

tarlykarly

Oct 20, 2017
I guess that it's been in the works for quite some time though. It's been less than a month, I believe, since Avira announced that they're abandoning the enterprise market. And soon after, they're acquired by Norton, who doesn't have presence in it either. Hmmm :unsure:

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
"We cannot wait to get started with Avira"...and start burying it immediately ?

Very exiting news but probably bound to happen as Avira seemed to be aimlessly lumbering on and on with each remodel being worse than the previous one.

Hopefully Norton will get rid of that autoscan every time it locates a nasty, the UI and the bloat.

You never know as with the Avast acquisition of AVG, there was a lot of doom and gloom and look how it has come out of it.

Avira is dead!

Long live Norviraton!

Regards Eck:)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.