Serious Discussion NortonLifeLock to Acquire Avira

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Ok, that's bizarre. We can expect AVIRA to disappear the same way PCTools disappeared after acquisition by Symantec. For a while it'll be around and then they'll just sack it. Bye bye AVIRA. You had good detection and perpetually awful interface.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I just can not stand Norton ,not that its not good,it drives me crazy with signing in too much,Just always go back to Kaspersky,for me way more user friendly
Signing in to what, your Norton account?

Can you use Kaspersky without an account, if not, can the account be deleted without getting support involved?

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I may not be able to answer your question. I have a Norton 360 program ,while I installed ,I had to reset my password 3 times,Why I am not sure,but its a fact, afterwards i had to sign in to my account maybe 3 more times,the popup for paid support showed up twice,these are the things that have convinced me to avoid this program and stay with Kaspersky

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Signing in to what, your Norton account?

Can you use Kaspersky without an account, if not, can the account be deleted without getting support involved?
No, Kaspersky requires account to function. Account can be deleted on My Kaspersky within your own account with a single button, no support interaction required to do that.

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Personally, I think nothing will change. Just like Avast and AVG.
There's a difference. avast! incorporated a lot of AVG's tech into avast!. Like advanced JavaScript emulator and Behavior Blocker as well as signatures merge and merge of two massive userbases that is super important for cloud part. And then they fitted the merged tech into AVG branded interface or program if you will. And are running them in parallel.

What Norton will do is merge AVIRA's tech into Norton, leave AVIRA to rot and then just phase it out entirely. Think of how PCTools merger went. That's pretty much the fate of AVIRA now.

fabiobr

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
There's a new disclaimer on the recently updated NortonLifeLock Privacy Policy:

This Privacy Statement does not apply to NortonLifeLock affiliates: (1) Avira Operations GmbH & Co. KG., including its related entities; and (2) BullGuard Limited, including its related entities. These entities maintain separate privacy statements which can be found on their respective websites.

EFFECTIVE DATE: March 1, 2021

fabiobr

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
signatures merge and merge of two massive userbases that is super important for cloud part. And then they fitted the merged tech into AVG branded interface or program if you will. And are running them in parallel.

What Norton will do is merge AVIRA's tech into Norton
Norton is going to be very strong if they put Avira signatures and cloud on their product. I think this might be coming soon.

Avira signatures/cloud + Sonar and Norton reputation file insight is going to be a strong suite.

Eggnog

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 21, 2018
Wonder if they'll keep the Avira name since it's already big in Europe where they're trying to gain a bigger foothold. Kind of like Avast did with AVG, which was prevalent in North America.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.