Advanced Plus Security NotoriousCypher's PC Security Config

Original forum configuration · expand details
Last updated
Mar 20, 2023
Main use of this computer
For work or educational use
Operating system
macOS 15 Sequoia
On-device encryption
Windows BitLocker / Device Encryption
Device sign-in security
    • Windows Hello PIN or biometric sign-in (face / fingerprint / Touch ID)
    • Account password
Security updates
Allow security updates and latest features
User Account Control (UAC)
Always notify
Smart App Control
On
Network firewall
Enabled
Router and network details
Ubiquiti UniFi - Whitelist mode on (will only give access to specific MAC addresses)
Real-time protection
Windows Defender
Device firewall
Microsoft Defender Firewall
Custom security settings
Whitelist on the router. Thinking of using DNS-level adblocking too.
Periodic malware scanners
Weekly
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browsers and extensions
Brave Browser. Extensions: Bitwarden, Grammarly, TabExtend
Desktop VPN
I use a paid VPN. BulletVPN
Password and passkey manager
Maintenance tools
None
File and photo backups
My personal backup is stored in a paid cloud service that is Open-Source and with Zero-Knowledge encryption and servers located in Europe. Internxt
System recovery
Yes, I create recovery states every month and store them on Internxt (My paid private cloud)
Usage and exposure
    • Visiting familiar websites
    • Working from home
    • Making audio/video calls
    • Opening email attachments
    • Online shopping and card payments
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
Computer specs
Ryzen 7 CPU 5000 series
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080
12 GB Ram DDR4
SSD 1TB
Notable changes
I recently changed my backups from an external HDD to a cloud-based solution. (I keep both, but my primary backup is now the one encrypted in the cloud). I researched a lot about this and ended up selecting one with servers in Europe (for GDPR) that are open-source and with zero knowledge encryption. I have also been changing my passwords to be absolutely randomized; I got a lot of online accounts, so it's still in progress.
I was thinking of getting a DNS-level AD blocker, too (with a raspberry Pi and pihole), but I'm not sure how safe this is.
Feedback preference

Detailed suggestions and alternatives welcome

NotoriousCypher

New Member
Hey there, MalwareTips community!

I'm NotoriousCypher, and I'm new to this forum. I'm thrilled to be part of a community focused on privacy and cybersecurity and eager to learn from all of you.

I was recommended to make a post about my current security configuration and the tools I use to receive feedback on how I can improve it. I'm relatively new to this privacy stuff, so I've been reading a lot, looking to enhance my privacy and security practices. I'm eager to hear from the experts in this community. What tools or configurations do you recommend? Are there any potential weaknesses in my current setup? I'm open to any and all feedback, and I look forward to learning from all of you.

Thank you for having me, and I can't wait to be a part of the discussions here at MalwareTips.
 
Thanks for posting your config (y)

You could tweak Microsoft Defender Antivirus with ConfigureDefender:

You could harden Windows with Simple Windows Hardening:
To get Simple Windows Hardening (the SRP part) working on a freshly installed Windows 11 22H2 you need to edit the registry, see this post:

Results:

You could tweak Windows privacy with O&O ShutUp10++:
 
Last edited:
I see you added in “Notable changes”, that also uses additional backup to external HD, which tool are You using?
I'm using cobianbackup for this. But to be honest, it could use a change. That's why I'm relying on more and more on my cloud backup these days.

Thanks for posting your config (y)

You could tweak Microsoft Defender Antivirus with ConfigureDefender:

You could harden Windows with Simple Windows Hardening:
To get Simple Windows Hardening (the SRP part) working on a freshly installed Windows 11 22H2 you need to edit the registry, see this post:

Results:

You could tweak Windows privacy with O&O ShutUp10++:
Amazing recommendations here! Thanks for taking the time to gather these for me. I love that you recommended me something to harden windows defender, as I really don't trust third-party antivirus software that much...
 
I highly recommend Macrium Reflect as well @NotoriousCypher . Have this be stored on local external media that only gets connected to the computer for backup reasons. Encrypt that backup with heavy duty encryption (AES-256 or better) and then upload that encrypted disk backup to a cloud storage provider if your network, data, and security needs are sufficient. Redundancy is a must in this day in age. You'll see that I use a few redundancies in my own setup.

~Brian
 

Recently browsing

Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes

Back
Top