Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015

Hi Brothers

Level 2
Verified
Apr 19, 2018
Not sure if this issue has already been reported: when notifications are enabled, after the notification is gone, the notification window remains when holding Alt + Tab which switches between active windows

Example, that notification is from a few hours ago (I was messing with the options), it shouldn't be shown when holding Alt + Tab, and cycling with Tab while continuously holding Alt

8uKD01.png

redsworn

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 6, 2017
Not sure if this issue has already been reported: when notifications are enabled, after the notification is gone, the notification window remains when holding Alt + Tab which switches between active windows

Example, that notification is from a few hours ago (I was messing with the options), it shouldn't be shown when holding Alt + Tab, and cycling with Tab while continuously holding Alt
Are you on Win 8.1? Because I had similar issue on Win 8.1 when I tested this software.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
You know now that version 1.4 has been officially released, it would be nice if someone could test it. Both with default settings and whatever advance setting the tester thinks would be useful.
I don't think that it differs substantially from the last beta build. If it had differences, they too would need to be tested prior to the stable release. So I don't think there should be any surprises under the wrapping.

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
I really don't want to throw this out here... but just in case someone else has a related issue...

I uninstalled the last beta and installed 1.4. Within an hour of that, I mounted a Macrium Reflect image to grab a file version I needed. After copying the file from my image, I attempted to dismount the image. Nothing happened. When I tried to repeat that I noticed that my OS (Win8.1 x64) was unresponsive. The mouse moved... but nothing I clicked, or keyboarded responded. I had to forcibly power off.

When I rebooted I arrived at the same place. My desktop loaded, but many of my tray icons were not loaded. I tried to bring up Task Manager, but again the mouse clicks did nothing. Again I forcibly powered off, and then booted into Macrium to reimage my machine.

This was not fun. Since I was unable to check Task Manager, Event Viewer, etc., I'm unsure what brought this on. I suspect OSA didn't like what Macrium was doing in the mount/dismount cycle... but I really don't know. I'm not of the posture to repeat this at this time, and it's possible that the OSA 1.4 install is unrelated. But I thought I'd share my experience if there is anyone running this combination that might be challenged to test this. FWIW, I had many of the advanced settings checked (none red, but several orange).

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I really don't want to throw this out here... but just in case someone else has a related issue...

I uninstalled the last beta and installed 1.4. Within an hour of that, I mounted a Macrium Reflect image to grab a file version I needed. After copying the file from my image, I attempted to dismount the image. Nothing happened. When I tried to repeat that I noticed that my OS (Win8.1 x64) was unresponsive. The mouse moved... but nothing I clicked, or keyboarded responded. I had to forcibly power off.

When I rebooted I arrived at the same place. My desktop loaded, but many of my tray icons were not loaded. I tried to bring up Task Manager, but again the mouse clicks did nothing. Again I forcibly powered off, and then booted into Macrium to reimage my machine.

This was not fun. Since I was unable to check Task Manager, Event Viewer, etc., I'm unsure what brought this on. I suspect OSA didn't like what Macrium was doing in the mount/dismount cycle... but I really don't know. I'm not of the posture to repeat this at this time, and it's possible that the OSA 1.4 install is unrelated. But I thought I'd share my experience if there is anyone running this combination that might be challenged to test this. FWIW, I had many of the advanced settings checked (none red, but several orange).
I don't have a problem with mounting and unmounting Macrium, and I have most of the advanced settings enabled in OSA.
I am just throwing out a guess: if you are using Windows Defender, and you enabled Controlled folder access, that is probably the problem. You will need to whitelist a few processes for Macrium to work smoothly, and it isn't immediately evident which ones.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015

8uKD01.png

I dun hv this issue too.

Sidenote: that's one hell of a browser with over 80+ tabs.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
I don't have a problem with mounting and unmounting Macrium, and I have most of the advanced settings enabled in OSA.
I am just throwing out a guess: if you are using Windows Defender, and you enabled Controlled folder access, that is probably the problem. You will need to whitelist a few processes for Macrium to work smoothly, and it isn't immediately evident which ones.
I haven't used controlled folder, so it's possible Microsoft already does this.

But couldn't they implement the smartscreen database into controlled folder so that users don't have to constantly whitelist processes?

Either way, it does sound like Microsoft could have handle it better.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I haven't used controlled folder, so it's possible Microsoft already does this.

But couldn't they implement the smartscreen database into controlled folder so that users don't have to constantly whitelist processes?

Either way, it does sound like Microsoft could have handle it better.
Controlled folder access is a real mess.

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
I think you may have pointed me in a good direction here. I'll check this out when I'm ready to brave the waters. Presently I'm consumed re-doing my network after repeated power outages rendered my router incommunicado.

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
by posting it here, copy-paste the log part of the FP.

Thanks @Umbra :)
Hello @NoVirusThanks , I think below is a false positive:

Date/Time: 02/07/2018 10:02:41
Process: [4728]C:\Users\Robert\RS\AV\GDATA\Nouveau dossier\GDATAMeltdownSpectreScan.exe
Process MD5 Hash: D9868B987E6B85ABC4DDF66042057D41
Parent: [4108]C:\Windows\explorer.exe
Rule: BlockProcessesOnSuspiciousFolders
Rule Name: Block processes located in suspicious folders
Command Line: "C:\Users\Robert\RS\AV\GDATA\Nouveau dossier\GDATAMeltdownSpectreScan.exe"
Signer: G DATA Software AG
Parent Signer: Microsoft Windows
User/Domain: Robert/ROBERT-PC
System File: False
Parent System File: True
Integrity Level: Medium
Parent Integrity Level: Medium

Date/Time: 02/07/2018 10:02:07
Process: [5372]C:\Users\Robert\RS\AV\GDATA\GDATAMeltdownSpectreScan.exe
Process MD5 Hash: D9868B987E6B85ABC4DDF66042057D41
Parent: [4108]C:\Windows\explorer.exe
Rule: BlockProcessesOnSuspiciousFolders
Rule Name: Block processes located in suspicious folders
Command Line: "C:\Users\Robert\RS\AV\GDATA\GDATAMeltdownSpectreScan.exe"
Signer: G DATA Software AG
Parent Signer: Microsoft Windows
User/Domain: Robert/ROBERT-PC
System File: False
Parent System File: True
Integrity Level: Medium

Parent Integrity Level: Medium

I do not understand why OSA did not react when the exe is on the desktop ?
1.PNG

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.