NoVirusThanks OSArmor

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
i want to be clear, it is what i heard, things can change or what i said can be denied/refuted or simply not applied. i just shared the information so people won"t be waiting for nothing or be shocked if it happens.
It’s nice to be informed, thanks for the share. We’ll all be keeping an ear to the ground. Hope it turns out otherwise, but such is life.

Gangelo

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 29, 2017
Despite my great love for NVT products, i heard from quite reliable sources, that NVT will mostly significantly reduce and eventually abandon the development of freewares like NVT, SysHardener or OSA. Their focus now is, obviously, making serious incomes (probably with SOB or tailored applications). This confirm somehow why their dev went silent for months and their freewares updated mostly when Windows 10 is upgraded.
Security Forums users are a niche market, and on top of that prefer enjoy freewares than paid ones. reason why several powerful tools are abandoned through the years (Trustfire, Malware Defender, Defensewall, Geswall, Online Armor, and recently Sandboxie, etc...).

One more reason for users to learn how to handle what security features Windows 10 offers, emphasize safe habits instead of relying in 3rd party tools.

Very sad indeed.. At least he could keep the static and configuration tools (SysHardener for example) pushing an update whenever there is free time. Dynamic tools such as OSArmor are very difficult to maintain as freeware considering the fast development pace of Windows 10.

This is the reason I always donate to freeware I use if donation option is available.

paulderdash

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
One more reason for users to learn how to handle what security features Windows 10 offers, emphasize safe habits instead of relying in 3rd party tools.
And if you don't have Enterprise, or don't know much about fishing, or how to cook fish, there's @Andy Ful's restaurant in the meanwhile! :D

Though to some extent you have to find your way around in H_C as well, but at minimum ConfigureDefender is a doddle.

Last edited:

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
how many can handle them and will pay? 10? 50? i barely count more than 30 regular users in both forums combined

Well, naturally, one cannot take these things for granted but sometimes the truth stings a bit. Kindly, a means to donate is provided at "the other forum," something I'd looked for previously but not well enough it seems. Good software is *always* worth paying for...
unless the dev is a jerk

Here's the "donate" link--thank you, Azure.(y) Moderators: hopefully the donate link is permitted.

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
Overpricing, not so sure about that. They have to pay employees and make some money. You can buy virtually any anti-virus, anti-malware, hips, firewall, anti-exploit, etc for unde $75.00 a year. Thats like 10 coffee's at Starbucks, 1 night out for supper. $75.00 a year is nothing, most people can blow that much in a night, boozing, restaurant , a movie whatever. Unless your a milennial who would rather spend money on getting food delivered or a Uber then its chump change.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I've used it before without issue & plan to install it on my others half's shiny new laptop I just setup - I think on basic setup I should be OK as when I've used program that tighten things up before & she can't use her laptop for 30 seconds I quickly become the devil himself (although that's my normal role anyway) I have considered adding a VPN but to scared too :cry:

I feel those who use cracked (stolen) software deserve to work for nothing & should never complain when their car is stolen.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
i dont specified just anti-viruses, but those 200+$ software like MS office, Photoshop, VMware, etc...
I pay literally $5 (USD) a MONTH for access to the whole office suite + 1TB OneDrive online storage, which literally has the option of right clicking your files or entire folders and make them "on demand", meaning it will free gigs of space (80GB in my case) and still leave your files right there to be downloaded individually upon needed (just a double click on the file and it's downloaded and opened). I find this an amazing, cheap, affordable deal.

I also paid $10 (USD) for my KIS2020 license and pennies for my ESET Mobile Security license. I don't think prices are overpriced if you know where to look.Of course if you go directly to the official website you will be ripped off. But usually sites like NewEgg hold good deals. It's just a matter of being patient and not buying on the urgent need.

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
I've been tempted to use cracked/pirated software but always had visions of something nasty setting up housekeeping on my machine. So, I do something similar. If I really think I need a piece of software, I cruise the many giveaway sites looking for it. Often, I find something similar, play with it for a while, and discover I didn't need it after all.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.