NVIDIA GeForce Hotfix (september 2020)

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
There's a whole conspiracy that new Nvidia drivers degrade the performance for older cards althrough I haven't noticed any problem on my GTX1060 while playing games 😄

• HaHa
Reactions: plat and show-Zi

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
My friend said this:
"Windows Update does have older drivers than the manufacturer’s site because Microsoft takes time validating them and pushing them to Windows update. It’s normal. The preferred method is to use the manufacturer’s site, but WU is still useful when the site is not available anymore or you have older devices, for instance."
This is my selfish idea. There is no basis, and I don't think it's the correct answer.
The boundary is the release date of os.
For hardware released earlier than this, it is safe to use the drivers provided by Windows.
When adding or replacing hardware released after that, download the driver from the vendor.

In my opinion, handling the driver is similar to handling the BIOS. If there are no problems and it is stable, it is more peaceful not to touch it.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
No judgements on whether you choose to update or not. You're the captain of your ship.

I have an older graphics card and I want it to hang in there until I can replace it with an Ampere rtx 3070 Super/Ti supposedly coming out mid-2021. So the driver is diligently updated each time.

I tell you: if it wasn't for Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU), I most likely would not be updating the graphics driver as often. But I definitely would not be leaving it at the default, which Microsoft did in fact update to one dating 2019. I remember when it was a June 2015 one not too long ago, for pete's sake. :rolleyes:

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
There's a whole conspiracy that new Nvidia drivers degrade the performance for older cards
It actually can happen. There was one time when I updated the driver for an old nVidia card with a current one and afterwards the computer got lower graphics scores in Windows Experience Index. But I don't know if was intentional, or just that performance was better optimised for newer cards.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I'm guessing that the latest drivers are designed with the latest cards in mind, including bug fixes. I feel that support for older cards is probably treated like compatibility.

Reactions: roger_m and plat

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
I'm guessing that the latest drivers are designed with the latest cards in mind, including bug fixes

Yes, this could be so. But it makes me feel better that my card is still "relevant" enough to receive driver updates from NVIDIA. It's a desolate feeling to be left behind, even with PC hardware.

• +Reputation
Reactions: roger_m and show-Zi

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
It's a desolate feeling to be left behind, even with PC hardware.
I can understand my feelings. In a metaphorical way, feelings similar to when the number of starring works of your favorite movie actors has decreased.🎥

• Applause
Reactions: plat

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Nvidia Geforce Game Ready Drivers 461.40 WHQL released.
Again for my GeForce GTX 1050Ti, I don't know if I really need to update to this version or not.
How to determine if there is a vulnerability that I am affected by looking at this page below?
Security Bulletin: NVIDIA GPU Display Driver - January 2021 | NVIDIA (custhelp.com)

The Security Bulletin clearly states, “All versions prior to 461.09” for Windows, which was the last version.
So I need to update?

Freud2004

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 26, 2020
Nvidia Geforce Game Ready Drivers 461.40 WHQL released.
Again for my GeForce GTX 1050Ti, I don't know if I really need to update to this version or not.
How to determine if there is a vulnerability that I am affected by looking at this page below?
Security Bulletin: NVIDIA GPU Display Driver - January 2021 | NVIDIA (custhelp.com)

The Security Bulletin clearly states, “All versions prior to 461.09” for Windows, which was the last version.
So I need to update?

Please visit the site of Nvidia support, another drivers with lots of complaints, before update try to read a little about the problems, I am holding the version 460.79 from December until a more stable version.

If someone updates the drivers just tell if are experience any problem.

Tanks

Open Issues:

• [World of Warcraft: Shadowlands]: Random flicker may occur in certain locations in the game [3206341]
  • [Supreme Commander/Supreme Commander 2]: The games experience low FPS. [3231218]
  • Wallpaper Engine app may crash on startup or upon resume from sleep. [3208963]
  • [Batman Arkham Knight]: The game crashes when turbulence smoke is enabled. [3202250]
  • [Steam VR game]: Stuttering and lagging occur upon launching a game while any GPU hardware monitoring tool is running in the background. [3152190]
  • [G-SYNC][NVIDIA Ampere/Turing GPU architecture]: GPU power consumption may increase in idle mode on systems using certain higher refresh-rate G-SYNC monitors. [200667566]
  • [YouTube]: Video playback stutters while scrolling down the YouTube page. [3129705]
  • [Notebook]: Some Pascal-based notebooks w/ high refresh rate displays may randomly drop to 60Hz during gameplay. [3009452]
  • [G-Sync][Vulkan Apps]: Performance drop occurs when using G-SYNC and switching from full-screen mode to windowed mode using the in-game settings. [200681477] To workaround, either launch the game in windowed mode directly or disable G-SYNC.
  • Gears 5 may display some pixelation when Variable Rate Shading is used from within the in-game settings [3240405]
  • [Ampere] Chrome/Edge may experienece random TDR while browsing [3195894]

Freud2004

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 26, 2020
@Freud2004 So will you update to this new version 461.40 ?

No, if you go to Nvidia forums, lots of problems and frame drops, I will stay with this working great

Example of the complaints:

1611776847283.png

Reactions: amirr

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.