Battle NVT EXE Pro 4 vs VoodooShield vs AppGuard

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

You're an IT engineer with a lot of experience and you don't know what SRP is?

IT Engineer is a sort of catch-all phrase, there are many subsets of it. But SRP isn't something a normal IT Engineer would know.. Now if you talk about GP Restrictions, Radius Auth, LDAP integration and other stuff and an IT Engineer doesn't know I would worry. I can count major companies using SRP's on one hand.

Anyway..

Norton is pretty good, especially if you go aggressive on the settings. But it's buggy as heck. Not a week goes by and they don't roll back updates. Registration/Licensing issues are everyday problems. The program can die out and not work without notifying you it's not working. The WONKY detection and notification is frustrating.. I've seen Norton take 30 minutes to popup about a block, even for Eicar, and that's on a 500Mbps connection.. If you wan't decent protection and lightness Norton works, and is dirt cheap, but prepare for bugs.

G Data is a way better choice between the two IMO but I love G Data's Firewall and BB.

VS compliments them both IMO.. So just decide between those two and roll with it IMO.

I'd actually consider Norton if those bugs were reigned in. Especially since I can get it virtually free from our distribution channels. Maybe look into getting the Norton Small Business Edition (Cloud Managed), it's 100X better than the consumer version and doesn't have the bugs or rollback issues, assuming you have enough PC's to justify it.

https://www.amazon.com/Norton-Small-Business-Device-Card/dp/B00JZNHUFQ

Last edited by a moderator:

security.paranoid

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Dec 6, 2014
thanks @ForgottenSeer 58943 ,as I mentioned in my previous reply I want a good BB and Firewall so i'll try gdata for the cloud based softwares my concern is th price also I've tested Sophos and intercept x and I cant tell you that it outperforms most of competitors in many areas specially the intercept x

Reactions: ZeroDay

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
IT Engineer is a sort of catch-all phrase, there are many subsets of it. But SRP isn't something a normal IT Engineer would know.. Now if you talk about GP Restrictions, Radius Auth, LDAP integration and other stuff and an IT Engineer doesn't know I would worry. I can count major companies using SRP's on one hand.

Anyway..

Norton is pretty good, especially if you go aggressive on the settings. But it's buggy as heck. Not a week goes by and they don't roll back updates. Registration/Licensing issues are everyday problems. The program can die out and not work without notifying you it's not working. The WONKY detection and notification is frustrating.. I've seen Norton take 30 minutes to popup about a block, even for Eicar, and that's on a 500Mbps connection.. If you wan't decent protection and lightness Norton works, and is dirt cheap, but prepare for bugs.

G Data is a way better choice between the two IMO but I love G Data's Firewall and BB.

VS compliments them both IMO.. So just decide between those two and roll with it IMO.

I'd actually consider Norton if those bugs were reigned in. Especially since I can get it virtually free from our distribution channels. Maybe look into getting the Norton Small Business Edition (Cloud Hosted), it's 100X better than the consumer version and doesn't have the bugs or rollback issues, assuming you have enough PC's to justify it.

https://www.amazon.com/Norton-Small-Business-Device-Card/dp/B00JZNHUFQ
I am definitely going to check Norton out, but I honestly can't see the Norton consumer product no matter how it's tweaked beating a tweaked KIS at all. KIS is solid and it's been consistent for a very long time even when Norton were going through their troubled years. I'm not using Kaspersky at the moment but in my personal opinion when it comes to protection Norton security can't even hold a candle to Kaspersky. Love them or hate them Kaspersky are at the top of their game.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
It's a shame really because I can get Norton for pennies, but I'd rather pay full price for Kaspersky small business if I took that route.

Reactions: simmerskool

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
I use Appguard and Voodooshield and they are awesome. Appguard paid lifetime for version 4 and VS Pro because I been beta testing for a very long time. Either VS or Appguard are more then enough. Appguard needs some tweaks but VS is user friendly big time.
That's a very nice setup. I respect both companies too. I remember the first beta for Voodooshield it's come a long way and deserves all the credit it gets in my opinion.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

It's a shame really because I can get Norton for pennies, but I'd rather pay full price for Kaspersky small business if I took that route.

Yeah it's a shame with Norton, it has potential, but those bugs. The price is great! I 'd recommend anyone look into their small business edition, it's way more stable and IMO very protective. I think their consumer version is too buggy to use personally and those bugs may compromise your protection.

If you are in the USA, Kaspersky's days are likely numbered so be careful buying licenses in this climate.. As noted in another thread, Anti-Kaspersky signatures and application blocks are popping up in UTM's from US Firms and sanctions are rumored to be in the drafting stages right now. Which would effectively end Kaspersky as we know it today.

Feds keeping close eye on Kaspersky Lab

security.paranoid

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Dec 6, 2014
Capture.PNG

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Yeah it's a shame with Norton, it has potential, but those bugs. The price is great! I 'd recommend anyone look into their small business edition, it's way more stable and IMO very protective. I think their consumer version is too buggy to use personally and those bugs may compromise your protection.

If you are in the USA, Kaspersky's days are likely numbered so be careful buying licenses in this climate.. As noted in another thread, Anti-Kaspersky signatures and application blocks are popping up in UTM's from US Firms and sanctions are rumored to be in the drafting stages right now. Which would effectively end Kaspersky as we know it today.

Feds keeping close eye on Kaspersky Lab
I'm in the UK so this is definitely going to affect me. I think it's a discace how Kaspersky are being treated. A great company pretty much being bought to it's knee's for something no one has seen a single bit of proof for. If I owned ANY security company right now I'd be looking at Kaspersky and thinking what happens if I get on the wrong side of the US or UK government. This is what this really is - Making an example out of a company that the US government chose to protect some of their most sensitive systems for years.

I'll look into the Norton small business. Although I'm really enjoying Sophos products and I've even been looking into their hardware and cloud security.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

The primary reasons I like the SMB version;

1) Centralized management. You'll be alerted if any installs are having issues, or malware is detected.
2) WAY less bugs. The interface for the SMB version is very clean and basic, the heavy lifting is done on the backend and some of the bugs don't exist on the SMB that are on the consumer.
3) No junk features like Parental Control.
4) Backend tweaks for businesses, tighter security.
5) Tighter, more regulated live updates with a bit more careful consideration for businesses.

symantec_welcome.jpg

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
I'm going to bed before I end up on Amazon buying licenses for all kinds of software and hardware. And if I end up spending on AWS products. Like I say I'm going to bed :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I'm definitely going to buy the small business license. It looks like the US/UK have completely ruined Kaspersky so I may as well look at Norton small business. I am switching back to GNU/Linux distros for my own personal use, but I'm finding some resistance with the rest of the household. Looks like I might end up living in the garage lol.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I'm going to bed before I end up on Amazon buying licenses for all kinds of software and hardware. And if I end up spending on AWS products. Like I say I'm going to bed :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I'm definitely going to buy the small business license. It looks like the US/UK have completely ruined Kaspersky so I may as well look at Norton small business. I am switching back to GNU/Linux distros for my own personal use, but I'm finding some resistance with the rest of the household. Looks like I might end up living in the garage lol.

I tried the whole Linux/Debian thing and failed. Ultimately, I convinced everyone to move all of their notebooks to ChromeBooks and it's been blissful.. Never bothered ever again.

I'd have no issue deploying Norton Small Business here as my primary security.. It's a pretty tight kit. But Norton consumer will never set foot in my network again.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
I tried the whole Linux/Debian thing and failed. Ultimately, I convinced everyone to move all of their notebooks to ChromeBooks and it's been blissful.. Never bothered ever again.

I'd have no issue deploying Norton Small Business here as my primary security.. It's a pretty tight kit. But Norton consumer will never set foot in my network again.
Well, at least you got the family away from Windows, I'd count that as a big win.

Reactions: security.paranoid

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.