Battle NVT EXE Pro 4 vs VoodooShield vs AppGuard

Chimaira

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jan 5, 2018
and when businesses contact the support, it is one IT guy for hundreds of machines...whose has at least some decent understanding of Windows.

Not only that but when users screw up, get themselves infected or otherwise trash their computer it is the IT guys fault.

At least those guys get paid good money most the time.

Reactions: ZeroDay

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
But getting back to the original topic, I see that a real lot of people voted for Voodooshield.

I must agree that Voodooshield appeals to the widest audience, and requires the least configuration, and works well.
But it has a distinct disadvantage for security geeks: you don't know what vulnerable processes it is monitoring, or how the rules work. And you can't add to the list, either.
Most of the important stuff is under the hood. You just gotta believe in it, and hope the devs keep it smartly updated, 'cause you can't see under the hood.

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
But getting back to the original topic, I see that a real lot of people voted for Voodooshield.

I must agree that Voodooshield appeals to the widest audience, and requires the least configuration, and works well.
But it has a distinct disadvantage for security geeks: you don't know what vulnerable processes it is monitoring, or how the rules work. And you can't add to the list, either.
Most of the important stuff is under the hood. You just gotta believe in it, and hope the devs keep it smartly updated, 'cause you can't see under the hood.
I agree fully, we should be able to modify the global rules, since v4's new custom rules don't work out as Dan would have expected.
something like how OSArmor has it, have just a txt file with all the global rules that we can add to
or add the global rules to the rules tab

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Plus it is much easier to gouge corporations and charge tons of money. The amount of money corporations will spend on things is mind boggling.

It's not so much about gouging. The ecosystem of corporate/enterprise is very different than consumers in key areas. Such as reliability, stability, compatibility and support. A small incorrect signature, bad update or machine learning bug can cost corporations millions of dollars. But for consumers, it's no big deal most of the time. For development.. In my experience consumers always get the scraps unless the firm was focused on consumers. Eventually some of the technology filters down to the consumer level, but I don't see the same amount of development man-hours devoted to the consumer stuff.

You can't fault firms that do this. When a single company feeds Trend Micro $12,000 a month in Worry Free Advanced licensing fees, how many consumers have to buy Trend Micro Titanium to match that? Then compound that by thousands of corporations around the world. Then subtract the free/cheap/discounted/promo licenses Trend probably doesn't make any money on.

The real driver here is.. You get John Smith to run Trend at home.. John goes in to work, where he is COO or Director of this or that.. Then IT presents AV migration solutions and he says 'Hey, that Trend stuff is decent, can we go with that?'. I can't tell you how many meetings I have sat in where this happens.

Both Trend and Norton corporate solutions are generally far superior to their consumer offerings. But I think this may apply to other brands as well if you take a look. Not only do they tend to use encrypted communication channels, but they also tend to have more stable releases, better testing, longer beta periods, better support and no bloat.

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Apr 27, 2018
glad i foun this place, These apps do interest me!

NVT rader v4 & VoodooShield, not AppGuard as the price to me looks like a pure rip off.

Is there a rundown anywhere on the differences for n00bs & how theyd protect/ enhance my security? :cool:

currently using Sandboxie / Hitman Pro combo, extremely light as no running AV & never had any issues.

D

Deleted member 178

NVT rader v4 & VoodooShield, not AppGuard as the price to me looks like a pure rip off.
At the moment Appguard is software only for businesses/corporation/gov agencies, so the price fits this marketing model.

Is there a rundown anywhere on the differences for n00bs & how theyd protect/ enhance my security? :cool:
define noobs; to me noobs are people without knowledge of windows processes and paths.
- noobs are better with Voodooshield
- average skills users are better with ERP.
- advanced users are better with Appguard.

currently using Sandboxie / Hitman Pro combo, extremely light as no running AV & never had any issues.
good enough, just add an anti-exe and you are good.

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Apr 27, 2018
yea dont do that, the AI already has enough FP's on normal..
so far its been fine, (touch wood) - I dont mind it alerting me, i like knowing what some things are doing.

I have 3yr licenses for both HitmanPro & VS.

but in the future, i may take a look at SecureAPlus Premium as thats technically HMP + VS combo, but in a single software.

MikeV

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 9, 2013
VoodooShield for me as well......
I adore the blocking style including the notification from virus total report (60+ scan engines if i remember well)
Plus sandbox as well.
No advertisement, no system slowdown.
Support team is also perfect

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

VoodooShield for me as well......
I adore the blocking style including the notification from virus total report (60+ scan engines if i remember well)
Plus sandbox as well.
No advertisement, no system slowdown.
Support team is also perfect

Nothing compares to VS. I have no evidence of any system being infected, hacked or infiltrated with VS running on it in Always-On. That in and of itself is everything I need to know. The fact it can do this with zero system impact, a classify interface, and responsive developers team make it a top tier product IMO. I recommend VS to everyone I talk to, and at work I think half the team runs it now.

My guess, Dan is seeing VS sales reach higher and higher with all of this word of mouth and recommendations in the IT circles.

Peter2150

Level 7
Verified
Oct 24, 2015
Hi L0ckjaw

How much real malware have you run by Norton. That helps me qualify your very strong recommendation. i have run a lot of malware by on Win 7 and nothing, zip zero got by Appguard and NVT ER{

Reactions: oldschool
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Hi L0ckjaw

How much real malware have you run by Norton. That helps me qualify your very strong recommendation. i have run a lot of malware by on Win 7 and nothing, zip zero got by Appguard and NVT ER{

IMO, Norton is buggy, issues sloppy updates, etc. However their business/enterprise offerings like SEPC are fantastic and probably one of the best products out there. Light as a feather, strong, enterprise grade, with clean updates and no obvious bugs. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to run SEPC.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.