shmu26

Level 83
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Go to "Tweaks">"Select all">"Restore selected" = restores all Windows defaults!
I am worried about that one, because different versions of Windows have slightly different defaults.
All in all, there is plenty of room for confusion here. But I guess that is pretty normal for Windows tweaking kits. This one is probably one of the safest you can get, although I must admit I haven't tried so many.

oldschool

Level 35
Verified
Start with "Suggested tweaks" in SysHardener. I forget about OSA since I haven't used it in a long time, but default settings won't break anything. Also, read and become familiar with the "info" flyouts for each setting in both apps. Don't enable any feature you don't understand.

plat1098

Level 9
Verified
Does SysHardener have Lockdown settings? I know a few principles in SH also apply to OSA so hopefully I'm not too far off-topic. It's tricky to specify what tweaks beyond default-enabled ones would be universally appropriate because everyone's habits and machine/s are different. I have four Lockdown (experiemental) settings enabled in OSArmor, as well as Internet Explorer blocked, even when it's attempted to run as Administrator. Those are over and above defaults. You have to allow a little trial-and-error over time in order to get a comfortable balance of protection with SH (or OSArmor). It's really moldable to your system if you can spare a little time.

osalockdown.PNG

oldschool

Level 35
Verified
Does SysHardener have Lockdown settings? I know a few principles in SH also apply to OSA so hopefully I'm not too far off-topic. It's tricky to specify what tweaks beyond default-enabled ones would be universally appropriate because everyone's habits and machine/s are different. I have four Lockdown (experiemental) settings enabled in OSArmor, as well as Internet Explorer blocked, even when it's attempted to run as Administrator. Those are over and above defaults. You have to allow a little trial-and-error over time in order to get a comfortable balance of protection with SH (or OSArmor). It's really moldable to your system if you can spare a little time.

Yes, with the proviso that having Lockdow/Experimental or additional settings beyond default should be applied with caution because SH will not alert. This could be a problem for some users when initially using advanced features in both applications.

shmu26

Level 83
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
If you want to tweak, do it with OSA, not with SysHardener. This is for three reasons:
1 OSA covers almost everything you might need or want, and if it is missing something, you can make a custom rule.
2 Tweaks in OSA are easy to undo, but in SysHardener, undoing tweaks can be complicated and confusing.
3 OSA will give you a prompt if something is blocked, and the prompt has a user-friendly wizard for making exceptions, so your software will almost always work. In SysHardener, you cannot make exceptions. It is all or nothing.