oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
what restore selected does?
It does exactly what it says ...
I didn't change any default check boxes nor I used Syshardner before, But I clicked on restore selected without applying any rules to my PC, I am wondering what it does?
If you only used default SH rules then "Restore selected" will restore only default rules.

FYI: Always create a Windows restore point prior to any hardening.

Reactions: Nevi

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Working on the new version:

SysHardener.png

Many improvements, new tweaks and firewall rules.

NoVirusThanks

From NoVirusThanks
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Aug 23, 2012
We've released SysHardener v2.0:

It is now part of Appsvoid software applications and it runs in 30-days free trial.

syshardener-1.png

It has been rewritten from scratch and has a lot of improvements:

[06-Sep-2022] - v2.0.0.0

+ Improved support for Windows 11
+ Application is no longer signed with SHA1 code signing certificate
+ Application has been completely rewritten
+ Added ASLR + DEP support
+ Improved management of available Windows tweaks
+ Added many new Windows Firewall rules
+ Added new Windows tweaks for Windows 10 and Windows 11
+ Added right-click popup menu on the listview
+ Added popup menu option Apply This and Restore This
+ Updated and improved available command-line parameters
+ Fixed some Windows 10 tweaks that were not working correctly
+ Improved support for high-DPI
+ Font Segoe UI is now used on all UI elements
+ Added support for a dark theme if Windows Dark Mode is enabled
+ By default the program runs in 30-days trial mode
+ Automate product activation via setup.exe command-line /LICENSEKEY=
+ Integrated NoVirusThanks License Manager
+ Improved installer/uninstaller script
+ Changed End User License Agreement (EULA)
+ Minor fixes and optimizations

You can now apply or restore a single selected rule by right-click on the rule and then click on "Apply This" or "Restore This" (very useful). It now fully supports Windows 11, we improved support with Windows 10, it has many new up-to-date OS hardening tweaks and Windows Firewall rules, you can search for a rule via the search box, it has two pre-defined profiles (Home User and Office Business User), we added important privacy-related rules, many new file types can now be unassociated making them mostly harmless for the end user, we updated the command-line parameters available, and much much more.

As always, feedbacks of any kind are welcome :)

Hope you like this new version.

wat0114

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2021
@oldschool

I am open to discuss about separating SysHardener for $8.99 /year in case.

Let's see what other users think about this.

Hi @NoVirusThanks

I agree with both @SecureKongo and @oldschool, especially regarding those like myself who don't want that other bundled software. It appears so many of these SysHardener settings are already available in Windows, especially in the Pro versions within Group Policy. And if one were to use @Andy Ful 's free Hard_Configurator, then many more additional settings are also available for free. I fully realize you want to be fairly compensated for your tremendous efforts in developing your software, but I just can't see a very large user base wanting to pay 19.99 for SysHardener, even with all those other apps included.

However, your new proposed yearly subscription price of 8.99/year for only SysHardener will likely appeal to a significantly larger number of potential customers (y)

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Well, I tried SH when it first came out and then was considering that vs. OSArmor. SH wasn't as refined as it might be now--but I'm content with OSA as it's more flexible with white-listing and some other features. With SysHardener: it's either/or, no compromises.

I installed it really quickly to check it out, and I like that you can open certain Windows stuff from the Tools tab (Task Manager, System Restore, etc). But again, I'm sticking w/OSA as rules can be done and undone immediately without worry that something might go wrong in the system because you might have some OS corruption somewhere and not know it.

If I were in the market, though, I would support a much lower price and the ability to order it separately from the remaining AppsVoid software. If even less than 8.99 USD, I'd really REALLY support it. 😁 :whistle: :coffee:

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
I already use OSA and like it a lot. I used to use SysHardener mostly for its outbound firewall rules. Then I found Andy Ful Firewall Hardening. In my country, 8.99$ us dollars is 11.81$ a year. So it's too much for something that I can get for free.

ItsReallyMe

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Dec 21, 2017
I applied SysHardner but now Forza Horizon 5 (Steam) is not launching, anyone have a idea which caused this problem?I am running win 11 Pro. Is it svchost mitigation? And also, my other laptop is not starting after i applied default SysHardner it had shadow defender installed anyway!

Reactions: Sorrento and Back3

NoVirusThanks

From NoVirusThanks
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Aug 23, 2012
Thanks for the feedbacks everyone :D

@ItsReallyMe

It may be related to one or all of these options:

Enable Svchost.exe Mitigation Options
Enable LSA Protection
Enable Core Isolation and Memory Integrity <--- Most probably this is causing the reported issues

The last one is know to create issues with Kaspersky according to a MT post:

It may be the case also for Shadow Defender and other security software and games, some info here:

Code:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows11/comments/x4vl56/comment/imyc5xx/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows11/comments/x4vl56/comment/in5l1zt/?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=web2x&context=3
https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/the-unofficial-shadow-defender-support-thread.293075/page-258#post-3060060

Some quotes from the above links:

Tried to play Naraka Blade point and it wouldn't start up with it on. Searched around and found a thread saying that other games(PUBG, Naraka etc.)would not work if it was on as well. Something about the Anti-cheat not being able to work properly with it on.

There is at least one incompatibility of SD with Windows 10 and 11.
It is Virtualization-Based Security. If an attempt is made to enable Core Isolation Memory Integrity, Windows reports incompatibility with the SD driver (diskpt.sys).

You can try to restore the 3 above options (or just the Core Isolation option first), right click on one option and select "Restore This", do not reboot the PC now.

Repeat the step for the other 2 options and then reboot the PC.

Let me know if then Steam and the laptop where there is Shadow Defender works fine.

In the next build of the app I will disable Core Isolation on both profiles in case.

ItsReallyMe

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Dec 21, 2017
I restored the core isolation , LSA and SVC Mitigation, but still Forza Horizon 5 not launching.
Is restore this, change the settings to windows default values or to what?

***Update - Core isolation is not the problem, i think the problem is LSA and svc mitigation, now it works after i restored them!

Last edited:

NoVirusThanks

From NoVirusThanks
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Aug 23, 2012
We've released SysHardener v2.1:

Here is what's new:

[14-Sep-2022] - v2.1.0.0

+ Added new Windows security tweaks
+ Disabled some tweaks on the Home User profile
+ Improved installer/uninstaller script
+ Minor fixes and optimizations

We've added new firewall rules and new options to unassociate more file types (e.g .msi, .msp, .vhd, etc).

The Core Isolation, LSP Protection and Svchost.exe Mitigation options are now unchecked on Home User profile (they may create issues with Steam games and other security software, so we made them optional and not auto-checked on Home User profile).

@ItsReallyMe

Thanks a lot for the updated information!

G

Guilhermesene

Thread author

Here is what's new:

We've added new firewall rules and new options to unassociate more file types (e.g .msi, .msp, .vhd, etc).

The Core Isolation, LSP Protection and Svchost.exe Mitigation options are now unchecked on Home User profile (they may create issues with Steam games and other security software, so we made them optional and not auto-checked on Home User profile).

@ItsReallyMe

I'm using some of your products like this one and OSarmor and I'm really enjoying it. In the case of SysHardener, should I install the new version over the current one? Because from what I see it doesn't have an automatic update mode like OSarmor.

Just a detail that makes me upset about all or most of your programs. It is the fact that there is no translation into Portuguese :cry:

ItsReallyMe

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Dec 21, 2017

Here is what's new:

@ItsReallyMe

I just found that Svchost mitigation is what caused the problem of game crashing problem (for Forza Horizon 5)
LSA protection and core isolation does not cause those issues in my case! Thanks!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.