• Browsing to popular websites
    • Browsing to unknown / untrusted / shady sites
    • Working from home
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
Computer specs
Lenovo L340 i3 8145U CPU @ 2.10 GHz 2.300 GHz 8GB DDR4 RAM 1 TB HDD
Notable changes
5/3/20 --> Removed Bitdefender and back to Windows Defender --> Updated RunBySmartscreen
May 2020 ---> various small changes
3 June, 2020 --> updated to W10 2004
7 June 2020 --> rolled back to 1909
23 August 2020 --> Added LocalCDN to browsers
27 August 2020 --> Removed µBO in Edge
31 August 2020 --> Removed Bitdefender Free
--------------------> Reverted to Windows Defender
--------------------> Removed Trafficlight and added Malwarbytes Browser Guard
7 September 2020 --> Removed Malwarebytes Browser Guard
Later in September --> Enabled Google SafeBrowsing in Brave

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Which is why I watch for sales on whatever license I want to play around with. For the price of a little more than a movie ticket you can get a license for most paid products.
You're completely right. We have two major ISP in my country one offering EIS and the other BIS. Both for $10 a year per device. I believe the price is very reasonable. One can also find legit sellers on eBay selling Panda, AVG, Mcafee and Bullguard. I will never use a free product (except WD as it is preinstalled and integrated in the system); either because of ads or missing functionality.

imuade

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
We'll see about that! :D I hope I can join @Moonhorse's club. I think @imuade is no longer a member since he's settled into Webroot! :LOL:
My friend, now I'm working at home because of Covid-19, so I use all day long my company's laptop and I don't have the mood to turn on my home PC... I really wish this absurdity will finish soon.
Stay at home, stay safe (y)

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
BD Free's Active Threat Control is active in BD Free. I tested running ConfigureDefender (which BD blocked on initial opening) and, after adding an exclusion, it blocked any setting change requiring powershell. Definition updates eat up a bit of CPU and disk but are short-lived.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I've noticed there is no momentary slowdown of apps opening with BD and VS. I do notice it when it's Windows Defender and VS.
I had the same experience.
Now trying Ziggo Safe Online by F-Secure (again) together with VoodooShield.
Everything opens instantly (y)
So the combination of WD and VS is probably not the best.

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Forgive my ignorance, but I can’t figure out what BIS has that BD free doesn’t have...is it just the firewall? At this point I’d be fine just using Windows FW. I don’t worry about outbound connection control.

I can't say because I've never used BIS. Maybe just the firewall, IDK. Free has everything I need and nothing I don't.(y)

Edit: I don't worry about outbound connections either. WF is fine.

Edit #2: You'd likely be missing ransomware remediation (in BD AV+, BIS, BTS) Ask @Robbie, he'll know.

Last edited:

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I couldn't tell you precisely, but I think it's pretty good. Again, ask @Robbie @stefanos maybe @SeriousHoax. They will know better than I.
Haven't had ANY issues uninstalling or installing BitDefender, at least from versions 2019 and after. Doesn't leave much remnant or at least that complicates the stability of the OS. Anyways, as always, I use Revo Uninstaller Free to uninstall any software to make sure to leftovers are left behind.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.