Firefox - hardened + µBO + Privacy Badger + eTag Stoppa + MBBG
Maintenance tools
Windows built-in
BleachBit 3.0 - "Hilary uses it!"
RunBySmartscreen
File and Photo backup
Copy/Paste -> Free Agent Drive
System recovery
Windows built-in -> Free Agent drive (monthly)
Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
    • Browsing to unknown / untrusted / shady sites
    • Working from home
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
Computer specs
Lenovo L340 i3 8145U CPU @ 2.10 GHz 2.300 GHz 8GB DDR4 RAM 1 TB HDD

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I've switched adblockers in Edge -> Adguard and Brave -> uBlock Origin. I really like the Windows Defender + VoodooShield combo. I can check sketchy files with WD, VS and RunBySmartscreen. The Cuckoo sandbox in VS is a nice feature as well for those special occasions.

Also testing HDCleaner since it cleans Brave thanks to @Gandalf_The_Grey. You're Da Man! :) We'll see how this compares to cleaning via Brave itself.
Unfortunately VoodooShield doesn't work well on my laptop. Discussed it with Dan before It has something to do with my internet connection.
So for me it is Windows Defender and Hard Configurator.
What's your opinion on HDCleaner?

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Added Edge Beta + select Edge://flags enabled. I'm still trying to figure out site permissions for cookies. It seems a little buggy to me, or I don't understand exactly how it works, :unsure::unsure: always a possibility for me. :)Waiting for clear history, etc. on exit to be added.

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Added Kaspersky Free AV. Thought I'd jump on the Kaspersky bandwagon and see what's what.

Also, I updated to Windows 10 v. 1903 when it was first released. I've noticed a couple of UI bugs but nothing else. I suppose I'm a M$ Beta tester? :LOL:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Added Kaspersky Free AV. Thought I'd jump on the Kaspersky bandwagon and see what's what.

Also, I updated to Windows 10 v. 1903 when it was first released. I've noticed a couple of UI bugs but nothing else. I suppose I'm a M$ Beta tester? :LOL:
Another volunteer MS beta tester :D
I had a bug showing multiple monitors attached to my laptop, solved by reinstalling the graphics driver. Hope 1903 works great for you. It's a bit faster, more responsive to me. What do you think?

After a reboot you should be on patch f now for Kaspersky. Fully compatible with win 10 version 1903.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019

Always gotta try something different huh? Admittedly I have been considering messing with ESET some more, or the big K after seeing what happened with our poor friend and ESET. But also like just having something that works (WD and OSA). Will practicality or curiosity win out? Definitely will be interested to hear what you think of Kaspersky.

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
It's a bit faster, more responsive to me. What do you think?

I agree. I've noticed my lock screen choice, Windows Spotlight is frozen on one photo and does not alternate or take suggestions as it is supposed to. Today I found my scroll bar hidden without making changes in Settings. They are annoying, little bugs that I see.

Always gotta try something different huh? Admittedly I have been considering messing with ESET some more, or the big K after seeing what happened with our poor friend and ESET. But also like just having something that works (WD and OSA). Will practicality or curiosity win out? Definitely will be interested to hear what you think of Kaspersky.

I think MT induces subtle changes in members' brains, enticing them to change security apps and configurations - often out of curiosity. Someone once ridiculed the forum, or certain members, as Kindergarten Security. I look at it from a more joyful perspective: MT is our playground, and kids love playing in the sandbox! :LOL: I think we should experiment in whatever way suits our fancy!(y)

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Added AVG Free Beta @ hardened mode + high sensitivity, with settings > balanced for security and performance.

AVG Free now has a number of available personal privacy settings, which may indicate they've responded to the backlash they've experienced the last few years. In any case, I've blocked AVGUI and overseer.exe in firewall. I quite enjoy this AV.

I installed this last weekend and have now joined the AVG Anti-hate Coalition started by @stefanos! :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Hardened mode really works. It blocked VoodooShield! :LOL::LOL::LOL:

AVG 2019-06-19 111530.png

Edit: This new version removes overseer.exe upon uninstall.

Last edited:

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Added AVG Free Beta @ hardened mode + high sensitivity, with settings > balanced for security and performance.

AVG Free now has a number of available personal privacy settings, which may indicate they've responded to the backlash they've experienced the last few years. In any case, I've blocked AVGUI and overseer.exe in firewall. I quite enjoy this AV.

I installed this last weekend and have now joined the AVG Anti-hate Coalition started by @stefanos! :LOL::LOL::LOL:

View attachment 215270
I have a soft spot for AVG. Can't wait to see how it goes.

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014

View attachment 215270
First impressions after one week. It is very light in the system. My laptop have very fast startup. Very good web filter. I tried it with many samples new and old. The protection is very good. Much better protection from many paid protection products.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.