Only 35% of people use an AV?

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
According to Malwarebytes only 35% of users run an AV, but how can that be correct when windows OS has MS Defender default running? Does that mean that they don't consider Defender an AV? Is the discrepancy in the numbers due to macOS and linux users, but off the top of my head, counting those user would not drop the number to 35%. ?? :unsure: (did I misread this article?)

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
I agree, that doesn't seem right, it seems too low. What about, use an AV (Windows Defender/Security, Android Device Protection etc onboard protection) compared to buy an AV, may make a difference in those numbers?

Last edited:

monkeylove

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
The report with lots of additional points:

Methodology:

Malwarebytes conducted this research using an online survey prepared by an independent research contractor and distributed via Forsta among n=1,004 survey respondents ages 13-77 with n=759 from the United States and n=245 from Canada. The sample was equally split for gender with a spread of ages, geographical regions, and race groups. Data was collected from July 25 to August 3, 2023.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.