Opera browser's privacy & safety

anirbandutta01

Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Jun 18, 2022
How much secure Opera browser is? Does it provides the same browsing security like Chrome / Edge / Firefox browsers? I've heard there are this browser owned by a chinese company so privacy issue could be happened at any time. But Opera continuously fixed issues & provides update so is it safe to use Opera browser? Personally I'm using Chrome, Edge & Firefox and want to try Opera browser. What's your opinion & recommendation?

Reactions: Morro

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Opera browser is considered quite secure, offering features like a free VPN, ad blocker, and fraud & malware protection. It's true that it's owned by a Chinese consortium, but they claim to follow strict European privacy standards. It's always good to stay updated with the latest versions for optimal security. If you're curious about Opera, give it a try and see if it fits your needs. It's always about personal preference and trust.

Morro

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
Opera browser is considered quite secure, offering features like a free VPN, ad blocker, and fraud & malware protection. It's true that it's owned by a Chinese consortium, but they claim to follow strict European privacy standards. It's always good to stay updated with the latest versions for optimal security. If you're curious about Opera, give it a try and see if it fits your needs. It's always about personal preference and trust.

I was unaware it is owned by a Chinese Consortium, not that it matters to me, as long as a browser is safe and secure to use I will try it out.

So does anyone know if Opera One would be a good replacement for Waterfox? Mind you, Waterfox is good, but it is so slow compared to Brave, and if Opera One is a good safe and secure browser then I am willing to try it out. (I seem to remember from long ago that Opera is a fast browser.)

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
it's owned by a Chinese consortium
(Oct. 17, 2022) today announced that the share repurchase from its pre-IPO shareholder Qifei International Development Co. Ltd., a subsidiary of 360 Security Technology Inc. (601360:CH) (hereinafter, "360"), has closed. 360 has sold all its 46.75 million shares, the equivalent of 23.4 million ADSs or a 20.6% ownership stake in Opera, and is no longer a shareholder in Opera. 360's representative on Opera's Board of Directors, Mr. Hongyi Zhou, has also resigned with immediate effect. Opera will pay $128.6 million for the shares, or $5.50 on a per-ADS basis.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.