Advice Request Opera browser's security

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

anirbandutta01

Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Jun 18, 2022
I want to use Opera browser for desktop. Is it secure? I've heard about it's GX version & Crypto version. What's good ? Opera or Opera GX? What about their Crypto version? Kindly reply. Thanks.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Yes, Opera browser is safe to use.

Chromium-based browser's that are updated regularly are secure from vulnerabilities.
  • Opera (standard) generic everyday use
  • Opera GX is geared towards Gamers [Homepage]
  • Opera Crypto is geared towards Web3 [Homepage]
I am unfamiliar with Opera's Crypto browser, but you can read more about it below.
  1. Introducing Opera’s new Web3 initiative: Crypto Browser Project now available in public beta for Windows, Mac and Android
  2. Opera Crypto Browser Unveils Industry-First Web3 Wallet Selector ahead of the Merge; Integrates Metamask
And for Opera GX:
  1. Opera GX now available on Epic Games Store

Opera offers an optional Free tier VPN, and a Pro plan. [Details]
1666874697097.png

A VPN software isn't necessary for most users.

anirbandutta01

Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Jun 18, 2022
How secure Opera browser's free VPN & also Opera browser for desktop & android ?? Also does EIS Safe Banking / Secure Browsing supports Opera browser for desktop ?? Please reply. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Should I use it ? Also EIS Secure browser / Banking protection doesn't supports Opera browser I think ...
If you read the links I posted you could answer that question by yourself. Anyway, I personally wouldn't use it, but it might depend on the use case. What are you trying to achieve with the VPN? Do you want additional privacy/security? Or are you trying to bypass geo-restrictions?

Reactions: oldschool

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Yes, Opera browser is safe to use.

Chromium-based browser's that are updated regularly are secure from vulnerabilities.
Fully agree with @Ink on this, but their " free " VPN ain't a full fledged one and I personal did a small quick test a few months ago.

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
How can I setup VPS ?
A VPS is a virtual private server you can buy from many hosting companies such as DigitalOcean or Racknerd, you need to have some Linux knowledge in order to secure it (fail2ban, ufw, etc) and setup the Wireguard service.

PD: right now I have a VPS from Racknerd ($23 /yr) with Ubuntu Server 22.04 running not just the VPN but many other stuff I have developed

Reactions: anirbandutta01

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.