Advice Request Opera browser's security

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

anirbandutta01

Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Jun 18, 2022
A VPS is a virtual private server you can buy from many hosting companies such as DigitalOcean or Racknerd, you need to have some Linux knowledge in order to secure it (fail2ban, ufw, etc) and setup the Wireguard service.

PD: right now I have a VPS from Racknerd ($23 /yr) with Ubuntu Server 22.04 running not just the VPN but many other stuff I have developed
Okay ...

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I didn't want to scare you off, but I don't think that using Opera is worth it. I'd just use Edge, Firefox or Brave and use the Windscribe Proxy.
Are you sure about that?

Edge users will soon be subjected to personalised advertising based on their Edge browsing history.
"The company suggests that website recommendations are one type of "valuable content" that it is working on right now to improve the Start Menu of the operating system. The feature derives the sites from the user's browsing history and a list of common regional websites. While Microsoft makes no mention of it, it is likely that only Edge's browsing history is one of the sources of the feature."

Source: Announcing Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 25247

Brave Browser also includes these for data collection and anonymised usage statistics. Most are on by default.
Screenshot 2022-11-21 at 18.08.44.png

If you can scare monger people away from Opera, don't forget that 99% of apps and services collect data too. A registered account isn't even required for Google and Meta to target ads and know a lot about you.

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Are you sure about that?

Edge users will soon be subjected to personalised advertising based on their Edge browsing history.

Brave Browser also includes these for data collection and anonymised usage statistics. Most are on by default.
View attachment 270837

If you can scare monger people away from Opera, don't forget that 99% of apps and services collect data too. A registered account isn't even required for Google and Meta to target ads and know a lot about you.
There is a difference between the way Opera and Brave collect and use the data of their users. And if 99% of apps and services collect data, then there shouldn't be any difference between using Facebook Messanger and Signal privacy-wise. Right? And using Edge is still a better option as it's from Microsoft - the same company that created Windows which he is probably using. So who cares wether Edge or any other Windows "feature" collects your data? I rather have one company that collects my data, instead of two.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
@Arequire If by Microsoft standards, this will on by default and the average user won't disable this settings.

Just because a small minority will know how to disable this option, it doesn't mean Microsoft cannot benefit from the tens of millions of users who are oblivious. It remains to be seen what Microsoft does next, but ultimately they win by enforcing the ad-supporting business model.

@Arequire you beat me to the post! :D
Keep up. 👟👏

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
So how does Firefox play into this? Is MS tracking my browsing history in FF too because I use FF on a Windows laptop?

I am not a paranoid privacy nut by any means but I am getting tired of all the tracking....

C.H.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Just because a small minority will know how to disable this option, it doesn't mean Microsoft cannot benefit from the tens of millions of users who are oblivious.
Indeed.
It remains to be seen what Microsoft does next, but ultimately they win by enforcing the ad-supporting business model.
The direction they are headed in is obvious but unfortunate. They provide all these 'privacy' options, placed throughout the various settings pages, but they are getting more difficult to navigate, like traveling by foot in a swamp!

• Applause
Reactions: vtqhtr413

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
If by Microsoft standards, this will on by default and the average user won't disable this settings.

Just because a small minority will know how to disable this option, it doesn't mean Microsoft cannot benefit from the tens of millions of users who are oblivious.
No doubt, but it is what it is. In an ideal world all vendors would provide default settings that respect their users privacy, but this isn't an ideal world and vendors kowtow to shareholders and profit margins, thus it's up to the users to check whether the default settings align with their interests instead of the vendor's.

ultimately they win by enforcing the ad-supporting business model.
They make billions of dollars in revenue per year from advertising. What motivation do they have to give that up?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.