Battle Opera vs Firefox vs Chrome (for Android)

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Opera browser - fast & safe - Android Apps on Google Play
Firefox. Browse Freely - Android Apps on Google Play
Chrome Browser - Google - Android Apps on Google Play

Looking for an Android browser that can work on high and low end device with minimal or no performance impact to device. Use on both tablet and smaller screen sizes. Provides a service to save data when needed. Isn't bogged down with in-app sponsored content. Neat UI that is easy to use and can be accessed without too more configuration.

I have already tried Chrome, Firefox and now trying Opera. All stable builds.

R

RoadRashWolfenstein

Without a doubt Google Chrome. It is in my opinion by far the lightest on ressource and the best optimized, as both Android and Chrome are made by Google. The sync of the favorites, passwords and browsing history works flawlessly. Firefox is a good alternative but it is heavier on my Xperia XA. I would avoid Opera as it is now Chinese (see here).

In my opinion you should try Chrome and Firefox and see for yourself which one is the lighter and have the best UI and functionalities for you.

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Chrome feels more laggy than Opera (scroll). In other respects, I cannot say much as Chrome's ram usage is not shown on services Android menu while Opera shows more than one proccesses and some hundreds of MB's of usage if not closed from multitasking menu (LG G5- 4GB of ram).

I cannot really choose between them. I prefer Opera for being more smooth and Safari like, but I have doughts about it's usage or resources.

Vanduss

Level 2
Verified
Dec 17, 2015
I voted firefox. I trust firefox + there are privacy extensions for adblocking/tracking, disabling webgl/webrtc, i can hide my referrer from third parties, canvas blocker, etc etc, which the other mobile browsers currently don't provide.

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
I like to use the same browser on my Android devices as I do on my desktop and laptop: Chrome.

I have Firefox as well but it's always been slower for me (and draws in a clunky way) on the desktop, which is what I use most.

They did (and still are) making Chrome run more smoothly; it was sub-par in that area.

I use AdAway to block ads device-wide--no need for a browser-specific one.

Though Firefox has been improving and it's always been nice, switching to it may happen in the future. Chrome's extension store is tough to beat, though.

giants8058

Level 4
Verified
Jan 26, 2016
I voted other and recommend Habit Browser. You can literally without exaggeration adjust anything you want. Just try it out for yourself and you will see. Also has flash support.

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
I use the Android phone in extensive way, and Chrome is my favorite.
Not saying that it is the lighter or fluid browser but I appreciate the data compression function that actually works, and save about 30% of mobile traffic.
Having a limited mobile plan I am fine with it.;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.