Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Disable Pagingfile for performance boost is a myth. Even Microsoft don't recommend turning off paging files at all. CPU, GPU, and RAM play the biggest role in gaming performance. His video steps are nothing but destroying your PC. Anything that offers " boosting your PC performance " is oil snake.
but have you actually tried to disable Pagefile and compare with pagefile enabled and disabled?
it's not a myth. I have been disabling pagefile for 6-7 years and I can see an immediate boost in performance with proper tweaks
yesterday, I have a VM running with 2GB of RAM with pagefile, I was always disappointed with its performance but when I disabled pagefile, I could see x1.5-2 gain in performance

disabling pagefile is unsafe for average/novice users but completely normal for someone who can manage their PCs well

disabling pagefile may not benefit gaming because they will be stored in RAM anyway unless there is a lack of memory so it's better to close all the processes before playing games to have more RAM for gaming

about boosting PC performance, they actually boost my FPS but I had to learn how to use it properly. General tweaks won't help

from me who has i7-3630QM, GT650M, 8GB who try to play FIFA18 on the lowest preset, average FPS ~30-40, sometimes 20-25

Last edited:

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Depends. What does it mean when you say "optimize games and OS"? If you have powerful enough hardware then it's not worth the trouble to gain few more fps. For low end hardware Win10 game mode does help in stabilizing min fps upto an extent. Also disable the AV while playing (don't forget re enabling it though :p)
I saw 1-2fps improvement on low end hardware with game mode. Overclocking GPU is by far is the key to get more FPS.

slash/

Level 6
Verified
Jun 24, 2018
While Razer Cortex is a really good tool, it kind of messed up my mouse movements for Valve games by making it a lot "smoother"
Which games? I haven't had any movement/acceleration issues with any of the games so far (Fallout 1, 2, 3, NV, 4, GTA San Andreas, Rimworld, The Division, Stardew Valley, etc). Do you have mouse software processes that are being disabled by Cortex?

Reactions: upnorth

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
but have you actually tried to disable Pagefile and compare with pagefile enabled and disabled?
it's not a myth. I have been disabling pagefile for 6-7 years and I can see an immediate boost in performance with proper tweaks
yesterday, I have a VM running with 2GB of RAM with pagefile, I was always disappointed with its performance but when I disabled pagefile, I could see x1.5-2 gain in performance

disabling pagefile is unsafe for average/novice users but completely normal for someone who can manage their PCs well

disabling pagefile may not benefit gaming because they will be stored in RAM anyway unless there is a lack of memory so it's better to close all the processes before playing games to have more RAM for gaming

about boosting PC performance, they actually boost my FPS but I had to learn how to use it properly. General tweaks won't help

from me who has i7-3630QM, GT650M, 8GB who try to play FIFA18 on the lowest preset, average FPS ~30-40, sometimes 20-25

You could probably disable the pagefile without ill effects. But that doesn't make it a good idea. There is a great deal of confusion and misinformation on the Internet regarding the pagefile. Much of the confusion is based on the statement in the pagefile configuration dialog:

"A paging file is an area on the hard disk that Windows uses as if it were RAM."

While not entirely incorrect it isn't a very accurate accurate description either. Unfortunately that description is often taken far too literally, sometimes to ridiculous lengths.

The pagefile is often thought of as some kind of overflow area used when RAM runs short. There is also the widespread idea that Windows is rather stupid in it's use of the pagefile and it's size must be carefully controlled or it will be used too much. None of that is true.

At any given time there is likely a lot of memory used to store that hasn't been accessed for a long time and in fact may never be used again. Windows knows about this is considerable detail. It is a crime against performance to use high performance RAM to store what is essentially static data. The pagefile provides a place where Windows can offload this static data and making more available for more important purposes. Note that this is a highly simplified description of a very complex process with many optimizations.

The bottom line is that the pagefile will usually improve performance. Of course if you have a lot of RAM and a light workload that may not be noticeable. But except for some very unusual situations (none I can think of off hand) having a pagefile will not hurt performance.

Pagefile is like a virtual RAM, so if your usage exceed the system installed RAM than you will experience application crash or BSOD.

I don't trust none of the steps the OP youtuber linked to because it is completely bullsh*t. If you want real actual performance boost, get an SSD and upgrade your GPU. Software promise to boost your PC performance is a snake oil like registry cleaner.

Last edited:

dwayne22

Level 1
Verified
Jul 4, 2018
Optimizing your system can be a good option, but optimizing game is not because many mods are their which tried to optimize games which are not well optimized but still as they are not the main developers and the product is in its maintenance stage the many bugs caused because of it, so its better that game developers optimize the game for all consoles and devices.

Peter Phillie

Level 1
Verified
Jul 12, 2018
Well, it is said optimization is an ongoing part of a games development process to be able to run at its best while using the least amount of hardware resource. According in its' definition, I think optimization is sometimes needed but I don't recommend to run this every time for sometimes this can cause problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.