Advice Request Other than Microsoft Authenticator, what's the next best app?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Other than Microsoft Authenticator, what's the next best app?

- Must be an app, not a hardware key.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
CA62F4C0-6F44-4C81-AF62-6133DB7E819F.png

Upvote 0

Tiamati

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
I've already used google, lastpass and microsoft authenticator. Currently, my top choice is Microsoft for 2 reasons:

1) It has a backup option

2) Microsoft is working in a password manager and using Microsoft Authenticator to enable it on mobile devices. I'm not using microsoft password manager yet, but i believe they will improve it in the future. So i keep with microsoft authenticator in case i will use it as my password manager in the future.

Upvote 0

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Upvote 0

SearchLight

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
I use to use Authy but something happened with its timing of OTP tokens, so whenever I tried to log into a site where I activated 2FA, the site replied it was invalid. Tech support was useless.

Because of this problem logins become useless, and since I had several with 2FA activated, I became SOL. It took several days, and several emails to site technical support people to reset my 2FA so I could login again, and re-enable the feature.

Since then, I reverted to Microsoft Authenticator for just my Microsoft accounts, and Google Authenticator for everything else. Never looked back.

The moral to all of you who use 2FA is make sure you are using a reliable Authenticator app, and download Recovery Codes as backup. I did not do the latter which made everything worse because I trusted my app never expecting a problem.

Reactions: upnorth
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.