App Review Panda Dome Free 2022

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
Shadowra

Shadowra

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Hello and welcome to the Panda Dome test!
Panda is an antivirus of Spanish origin, quite well known in the world of computer security.
Since 2009, Panda has been offering free antivirus software, named before Panda Cloud, then Panda Dome since 2019.
The antivirus has never shone by its detection capacity, we will see if this year, Panda will surprise us.

The interface is still clear, nothing has changed since 2021. Still suitable for novices. We note that Panda is a little lighter.

In terms of detection, Panda is still average, and even worse than 2021!
In URL, it lets 4 infections pass, even if it tries to defend itself but too late.
On the pack, it is unfortunately a carnage....
Panda blocks several malware but is very quickly saturated by the installation of RAT, Bot and worms...
It saturates while it even ended up shutting down! (except video, it did not answer any more...) obliging me to pass by a LiveCD.
Very disappointed, I didn't expect this.....

Watch my review on Odysee !

RAM Usage : Average
Malware URL test : 6/10 (4 missed)
Fake crack : 1/1 (detected)
Malware Pack : Remaining 127 files to 346.
Panda blocks several pieces of malware, but is quickly overwhelmed by several that take hold.
The VM gets infected and ends up crashing in video break.
A LiveCD is necessary !

Resistance to script attacks: No...

Result :
KRescue: 665 (mainly Trojans and worms)

Recommand : No
System Clean : No, system infected

Shadowra

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021

Shadowra

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Panda is a paid antivirus! You pay to make your computer more vulnerable. :ROFLMAO:

I asked Panda why this score, I put his answer below :D

panda-sleep.gif

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Why Kung Fu Panda ain't that effective? Because she slows down your PC like in 2006. :ROFLMAO:
Panda is one of the lightest antiviruses there is. Maybe you have a difference experience, because antivirus performance can vary greatly from one computer to the next. But, typically Panada will be very light, even on low end hardware.

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
It's a pity it's protection isn't better as there is a lot to like about Panda especially it's lightness & ease of installation - I wonder is any members have used Panda long term in every day use, I can see from the review it gets bogged down with lots of malware & as I remember a similar thing happened with a test by Leo? Nice test Shadowra :):)

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I wonder is any members have used Panda long term in every day use,
I was using it for some time. I was impressed with how light it is, but ended up ditching it due to the detection rate. I didn't get infected when using it, because it's rare for me to encounter malware. But I thought it made sense to use something better. Testing at the malware hub shows that it is slow to add signatures for new threats and its behavioural protection isn't very good.

If it had better protection, then it would be a good antivirus in my opinion, because of how light it is. While it typically has issues with false positives when tested by AV-Comparatives or AV-Test, when I used it, I had very few issues, despite often downloading new software.

Shadowra

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
I'd be interested to you see try it with Sly guy's settings. I think you need premium version though.

I apologize, I forgot to answer :/ but I take this opportunity to do so :)

It could be a good idea, why not. Only, novice users don't modify the antivirus settings (I've been reproached a lot, I not modify them more now to do like them).
But I keep the idea :)

bellgamin

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 11, 2016
I'd be interested to you see try it with Sly guy's settings. I think you need premium version though.
Actually you need "Panda Complete" or "Panda Advanced" in order to have all the added protections that sly guy made use of.

Sadly, AV-Comparatives, AV-test and EVERY other testing organization I have come across ALL use Panda Free as the basis for their tests. However, Panda Free's protective processes do not remotely resemble those processes available with Panda's Complete & Advanced versions. Testing the Free version as being "representative" of Panda's paid versions is like testing a Fiat auto and saying that the results are representative of an Alfa Romero.

Panda's paid versions have some quite powerful ancilliary protective options. For instance, Sly guy made brilliant use of the Data Shield process included in the Complete & Advanced versions. (Read the sly guy link provided by @outlawxtorn & see for yourselves.)

Panda's Application Control and its Firewall are only available on Panda's paid versions. Application control is a whitelist/antiexe process -- not nearly so advanced as Voodooshield, but a powerful tool nevertheless. Panda's Firewall (FW) is very well designed, and its rule setting process is quite granular -- but also, quite easy to master. ForgottenSeer 58943 used Panda's FW to slam the doors shut on a long list of ports used by trojans et alia. This is not at all possible on the Free version.

Fact is, Panda obviously chose to omit its most powerul ancilliary processes from the Free version that testers are .. uh ... testing. Check the chart of Panda versions HERE -- the chart is almost half-way down that page -- and see for yourselves.

Compared with Panda, the free versions of Bitdefender, Avast, et alia, are MUCH more complete, in terms of included protective options such a Firewalls. I believe this a significant factor in Panda's protection scores being lower than other top tier AVs.

Shadowra

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Actually you need "Panda Complete" or "Panda Advanced" in order to have all the added protections that sly guy made use of.

Sadly, AV-Comparatives, AV-test and EVERY other testing organization I have come across ALL use Panda Free as the basis for their tests. However, Panda Free's protective processes do not remotely resemble those processes available with Panda's Complete & Advanced versions. Testing the Free version as being "representative" of Panda's paid versions is like testing a Fiat auto and saying that the results are representative of an Alfa Romero.

Panda's paid versions have some quite powerful ancilliary protective options. For instance, Sly guy made brilliant use of the Data Shield process included in the Complete & Advanced versions. (Read the sly guy link provided by @outlawxtorn & see for yourselves.)

Panda's Application Control and its Firewall are only available on Panda's paid versions. Application control is a whitelist/antiexe process -- not nearly so advanced as Voodooshield, but a powerful tool nevertheless. Panda's Firewall (FW) is very well designed, and its rule setting process is quite granular -- but also, quite easy to master. ForgottenSeer 58943 used Panda's FW to slam the doors shut on a long list of ports used by trojans et alia. This is not at all possible on the Free version.

Fact is, Panda obviously chose to omit its most powerul ancilliary processes from the Free version that testers are .. uh ... testing. Check the chart of Panda versions HERE -- the chart is almost half-way down that page -- and see for yourselves.

Compared with Panda, the free versions of Bitdefender, Avast, et alia, are MUCH more complete, in terms of included protective options such a Firewalls. I believe this a significant factor in Panda's protection scores being lower than other top tier AVs.

I have planned a versus Panda Free vs Panda Complete in early 2023

Harputlu

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Dec 26, 2016
Hello and welcome to the Panda Dome test!
Panda is an antivirus of Spanish origin, quite well known in the world of computer security.
Since 2009, Panda has been offering free antivirus software, named before Panda Cloud, then Panda Dome since 2019.
The antivirus has never shone by its detection capacity, we will see if this year, Panda will surprise us.

The interface is still clear, nothing has changed since 2021. Still suitable for novices. We note that Panda is a little lighter.

In terms of detection, Panda is still average, and even worse than 2021!
In URL, it lets 4 infections pass, even if it tries to defend itself but too late.
On the pack, it is unfortunately a carnage....
Panda blocks several malware but is very quickly saturated by the installation of RAT, Bot and worms...
It saturates while it even ended up shutting down! (except video, it did not answer any more...) obliging me to pass by a LiveCD.
Very disappointed, I didn't expect this.....

Watch my review on Odysee !

RAM Usage : Average
Malware URL test : 6/10 (4 missed)
Fake crack : 1/1 (detected)
Malware Pack : Remaining 127 files to 346.
Panda blocks several pieces of malware, but is quickly overwhelmed by several that take hold.
The VM gets infected and ends up crashing in video break.
A LiveCD is necessary !

Resistance to script attacks: No...

Result :
KRescue: 665 (mainly Trojans and worms)

Recommand : No
System Clean : No, system infected
the free version of the program is constantly being tested.would you test the panda dome advanced ? includes ransomware protection

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.