Serious Discussion Password Managers are a waste of money

Victor M

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 3, 2022
Password Managers are a waste of money for most users. The main benefit is that you can access your passwords list from another computer. If you don't have another PC or don't need that benefit, then it is just an extra monthly bill. You don't need to consider what protection it offers for passwords and other sundry features. It doesn't matter if it is a currently popular security thing. Hot ideas that have no benefit for you is a waste of your money, doesn't matter if it is a security product.

Most modern browsers, including Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge, and Apple Safari, can generate secure and complex passwords for you

All major browsers store saved passwords with encryption: Of course password managers will try to sell you that browsers are not as trustworthy - they want to sell you their product, All encryption algorithms are equally secure until broken. And password managers are also using publicly available encryption algorithm. There are very few cryptographic experts in the world who can create new algorithms, and new ones requires lengthy public testing before they are accepted. Vendors are bending the truth for advertising purposes.

Some of the benefits offered by password managers may once upon a time be missing in browsers, but not anymore.

Last edited:

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Apr 21, 2016
While it's true that one key benefit of password managers is accessing passwords from different devices, they also offer other advantages. They generate complex passwords, reducing the risk of using weak or repeated ones. They also store passwords securely, reducing the risk of them being lost or stolen. If these features align with your security needs, it's not a waste of money. It's always about individual needs and circumstances.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Or use keepass/KeepassXC and put the file into online hosting or syncthing or something similar. You don't have to pay for anything.
Paying for a password manager is basically paying for convenience and ease of use which is fair for the average user.

Last edited:

7Oz-64

Level 1
Jan 16, 2023
Or use keepass/KeepassXC and put the file into online hosting or syncthing or something similar. You don't have to pay for anything.
Paying for a password manager is basically paying for convenience and ease of use which is fair got the average user.
Yes agree keepass or keepassXC are not cloud based, database sored locally, i will never put my about 400 credentials online!!!
The main advantage of password manager is that you can create complex password which you can't remember in your brain, and you can enable 2FA /passkey for additional security.
I also store all my credentials on a external encrypted storage and printing all of them and put them in a safe place in case or database will be corrupted.

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
Password Managers are a waste of money for most users. The main benefit is that you can access your passwords list from another computer. If you don't have another PC or don't need that benefit, then it is just an extra monthly bill. You don't need to consider what protection it offers for passwords and other sundry features. It doesn't matter if it is a currently popular security thing. Hot ideas that have no benefit for you is a waste of your money, doesn't matter if it is a security product.
Use Bitwarden free.no monthly payment. Secure and convenient.

n8chavez

Level 18
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021

This comment right here is why we need a thumbs down emoji here. In Comicbook Guy Voice, "Worst Comment Ever!"

DDE_Server

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
so how you access these password from multiple devices ?? if you updated the credentials how you synchronize them ??
Yes agree keepass or keepassXC are not cloud based, database sored locally, i will never put my about 400 credentials online!!!
The main advantage of password manager is that you can create complex password which you can't remember in your brain, and you can enable 2FA /passkey for additional security.
I also store all my credentials on a external encrypted storage and printing all of them and put them in a safe place in case or database will be corrupted.

DDE_Server

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
All my credentials on usb ironkey keypad, just move the usb key when needed, i hate synchronizing even in windows, local user account, i know am old school but i know why;)
it is safe this way but has a risk if this usb is lost@ i know it is encrypted. actually it depends on the the persons situations . yes i agree with you online synchronization has risks but needed in some situations. i avoid banking credentials in online database synch.

it is best practice to audit and change the whole credentials every 90 days anyway

7Oz-64

Level 1
Jan 16, 2023
it is safe this way but has a risk if this usb is lost@ i know it is encrypted. actually it depends on the the persons situations . yes i agree with you online synchronization has risks but needed in some situations. i avoid banking credentials in online database synch.

it is best practice to audit and change the whole credentials every 90 days anyway
Oh, i forgot to tell you that i've 2 ironkey, and had printing my credentials in html format and put them safe somewhere.
Sometimes i change some passwords, most of my password reach entropy at + /- 350 bits ( in addition 2FA, passkey,email check code when it's possible)

F

ForgottenSeer 109138

Portable keepass kept in a folder on the system and a copy on a flash drive is a method I've used for years. It's free, and flexible. It may not be as convenient as cloud services, may require an extra couple clicks, but the main purpose of creating and storing very secure passwords it does very well.

By keeping a portable copy on a flash drive I can take this device with me and have the ability to get on any system and access my accounts if need be. The portable version on the flash drive is encrypted as well requiring the master password to access, so it's very secure.

Victor M

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 3, 2022
They generate complex passwords, reducing the risk of using weak or repeated ones. They also store passwords securely, reducing the risk of them being lost or stolen.
Most modern browsers, including Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge, and Apple Safari, can generate secure and complex passwords for you

All major browsers store saved passwords with encryption: Of course password managers will tell you it is not as trustworthy - they want to sell you their product, All encryption algorithms are equally secure until broken. They are bending the truth for advertising purposes.

Features that you are claiming are benefits may once upon a time be missing in browsers, but not anymore.

Last edited:

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Apr 21, 2016
All major browsers store saved passwords with encryption:

Features that you are claiming are benefits may once upon a time be missing in browsers, but not anymore.
While browsers do offer similar features, password managers generally offer superior protection. They can generate and remember complex passwords for all your accounts, and they offer additional features like secure sharing, emergency access, and two-factor authentication. It's about choosing a solution that fits your needs best.

Victor M

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 3, 2022
While browsers do offer similar features, password managers generally offer superior protection
All password managers Claim they offer better encryption, because they have something to sell. All publicly available encryption algorithms are tested to be equally secure until broken. And password managers are also using publicly available encryption algorithm. They are bending the truth for their own benefit.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.