Advice Request Password Managers

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
LastPass, they learned from their lil mishap, I used Truekey for a bit, but have been back to lastpass for a few months now, I missed it, and have had 0 issues.
The issue is, MS is testing a new verification process, and yes I know the topic has been slung around for some time now, but this is imminent the testing they are doing now seems to support a change coming very soon that may render most PW managers obsolete.
"BitKey" verification I think, cant remember have to do some looking but it should not be too hard to look up.
Pick a secure PW manager but don't get too comfy, you may be dumping it soon. :)

E

Eddie Morra

You can also write passwords down if you really feel the need to do so, but make sure if you are, that you take more precautions if you're someone who may be targeted in real-life.

For example, the password "_4?3!JrEWbV6T99rZ7+96S2S@&$_qP". You can split it up into several groups scattered on the paper at different places, not in order, and all you have to do is remember the order of the groups when typing it out online.

Another technique is reverse-typing passwords, which makes the group splitting up when noting it down even more secure. Therefore, say you were making a group of characters belonging to the password for the example mentioned above, and those characters were "_4?3!Jr". What you could do is note down "rJ!3?4_" instead. For other groups of characters for the same password, you could not use reverse order.

Even if someone gets that piece of paper... they do not know the order of the character groups to form the original password, and even if they do, they aren't going to easily get the real password if you've used deceiving techniques like reverse-order.

If you want to step the game up even more, you can add things like groups of characters from the password in hash checksum form, or go straight to level 1000 and invent your own alphabet to manually translate characters to a different version (e.g. "A" becomes "b", "b" becomes "C", "c" becomes "z", etc.).

Make them use multi-lingual characters or translate foreign language words for fun and to waste their time.

As for security questions, you can put fake answers. If they happen to know the real ones... well, bad luck to them, it won't work in this case. I like this technique a lot. The answers could be something only you would ever know, despite being related to the question at all or not. Or, the answers could be strong mini-passwords (e.g. certain character length, using combination of both upper-case and lower-case, containing numbers and special characters, not being anything personal related, etc.).

Obviously, all of this will be time-consuming and not applicable for most people, and only really necessary in certain situations. For 99.9% people, all you will need is a normal password manager, but I just thought to note these tricks for anyone who is paranoid and/or interested in it for entertainment purposes.

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
You could have made a poll and maybe you still can.

I use LastPass. I find it a lot better than RoboForm which I used to use. I like it for giving me autofill even when no password is called for. I MUCH prefer autofilling forms. LastPass also lets me store information very securely in Secure Notes.

I don't think it makes sense to be without a password manager. Certainly it allows you to do much more secure passwords. I used to have the same password on every site. Now it's 20-character, numerals, upper case letters, lower case letters and special characters in every password.
Hello @conceptualclarity
What are the differences between LastPass free and premium ?

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Personally I'd recommend using the following password managers in no particular order:

1. Bitwarden - great password manager! Have been using for some time now!
  2. Sticky Password - Personally use and have been using for several years now!
  3. RoboForm - Personally have a business license for five folks for this!

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
LastPass, they learned from their lil mishap, I used Truekey for a bit, but have been back to lastpass for a few months now, I missed it, and have had 0 issues.
The issue is, MS is testing a new verification process, and yes I know the topic has been slung around for some time now, but this is imminent the testing they are doing now seems to support a change coming very soon that may render most PW managers obsolete.
"BitKey" verification I think, cant remember have to do some looking but it should not be too hard to look up.
Pick a secure PW manager but don't get too comfy, you may be dumping it soon. :)

The autofill aspect is so useful to me I am certain I will not be abandoning a password manager.

As for security questions, you can put fake answers. If they happen to know the real ones... well, bad luck to them, it won't work in this case. I like this technique a lot. The answers could be something only you would ever know, despite being related to the question at all or not. Or, the answers could be strong mini-passwords (e.g. certain character length, using combination of both upper-case and lower-case, containing numbers and special characters, not being anything personal related, etc.).

One thing to keep in mind is truth is easier to remember than fabrication. ;)

Hello @conceptualclarity
What are the differences between LastPass free and premium ?

Unless things have changed recently, Premium is necessary for using LastPass on a phone. However, for PC/laptop it has only added priority support.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.