I defer until I shutdown my computer.

1586969839378.png

It won't update unless 1. consent given for restart, or 2. shutdown PC

1586969901677.png

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Gandalf_The_Grey, as of this moment, you have achieved "numero uno" status five times over!

Congratulations. ✨🌼🍸

numero uno.png

No more "patch Tuesday" for me, mere mortals...hahahaha! (Insiders does have advantages...occasionally. We just get big new builds loaded w/more bugs!)

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
My laptop which I had put into sleep mode before I went to bed, woke from sleep to restart and installed the update last night. I just disabled wake timers, so that it doesn't happen again. The following link explains how to do so.

Usually I schedule the restart, to delay it for a week and keep doing so, as I only restart when I need to, rather than just to install updates. While I delay restarting, I've never waited to install updates. I let Windows Update automatically install every update it wants to and that's what I've always done.

Some people wait to install updates in case there are bugs, or avoid certain updates because they are causing problems for some people. But, I've never done that. It has been my experience over many years, that it is exceptionally rare for updates to cause issues. That's not the case for everyone, but it is for me.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Hi

I followed your instructions and deleted all the files in the Download folder. I then re-download using Windows update. The download was flawless and it installs till 100% after which the same error message (see above) pops up again. I tried that twice and the result is the same.

Then I did a manual download and a manual install with the link given by @SeriousHoax and it gives the following error

Looking at the 2 error messages it's apparent that some files could not be installed.

View attachment 237351
Are you using O&O Shut (when I used it I had issues with Windows updates). I have just installed the update with no issues on a device running Kaspersky IS. The problem must be related to your configuration.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Got this error code during installation. Likely the downloaded file has a problem

View attachment 237338
Did you search for more info on that error code?

From the suggestion there, try using the Windows Update troubleshooter. Tell me if you need help finding it.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Did you search for more info on that error code?

From the suggestion there, try using the Windows Update troubleshooter. Tell me if you need help finding it.
Ok, just ran troubleshooter but no problems found for Windows Update. Device health and performance also no issue. And any attempt to 'Run as Administrator' failed even in cmd. I already posted in another thread of mine regarding the missing 'Run as Administrator'. There are some suggestions in the links below and it requires to be run with admin privileges which I don't have.

1587011584546.png

1587011457019.png

Last edited:

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I am no tech genius, but Windows Repair from Tweaking.com has helped me in the past, it is free, but you can get a paid version, the paid version does not correct more problems, but if you like the program you can purchase it. ;) There are videos on how to operate it:).

Be careful with this kind of program. Windows Repair once corrupted a Windows installation in my machine in such a way i had to restore from image.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Be careful with this kind of program. Windows Repair once corrupted a Windows installation in my machine in such a way i had to restore from image.
It creates a full registry backup, which can be used to restore any changes to the registry. This should be enough to get Windows working again. Once I had an issue where it would stopped my browser from running.

But it's very rare for it to cause problems. It's an excellent program and the author added some fixes I suggested.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.